Shaking Things Up

Rob Schley

May 26, 2009, 10:24:32 PM5/26/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
The Development Coordinators, the 1.6 Release Team, and a small group of experienced developers will be shaking things up over the next couple of weeks.

We’re taking a fresh approach to Joomla 1.6. In the next day or two, we will be moving the current trunk into an "experimental" branch and replacing it with an installable and usable package that includes a working ACL implementation and MooTools 1.2. From there, we will focus our attention toward completing nested categories and creating an alpha release by June 22nd, 2009.

We realize this is a major change but we believe that having a stable and familiar foundation will allow more people to contribute which we hope will enable us to adopt a more iterative and faster release cycle. This, in turn, will allow us to release more often with more interesting and useful features packed into each release.

Here’s how you can get in on the action:

1) Help us add cool, new features by submitting patches to the Joomla 1.6 Feature Patch Tracker at http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla/tracker/?action=TrackerItemBrowse&tracker_id=8549  Once we have a fairly stable package with ACL, MooTools 1.2, and nested categories, we would like to have a couple of patch sprints where we will review and commit patches that have been submitted to the tracker.

2) Help us fix those silly bugs by submitting bug reports to the Joomla 1.6 Bug Tracker at http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla/tracker/?action=TrackerItemBrowse&tracker_id=8103  We will be clearing this out when we swap out the existing trunk with the new one.

Enjoy,
Rob Schley

Torkil

May 27, 2009, 1:17:50 PM5/27/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
Wow! I know lots of people who will be thrilled to read this!

On 27 Mai, 04:24, Rob Schley <rob.sch...@community.joomla.org> wrote:
> The Development Coordinators, the 1.6 Release Team, and a small group of
> experienced developers will be shaking things up over the next couple of
> weeks.
>
> We’re taking a fresh approach to Joomla 1.6. In the next day or two, we will
> be moving the current trunk into an "experimental" branch and replacing it
> with an installable and usable package that includes a working ACL
> implementation and MooTools 1.2. From there, we will focus our attention
> toward completing nested categories and creating an alpha release by June
> 22nd, 2009.
>
> We realize this is a major change but we believe that having a stable and
> familiar foundation will allow more people to contribute which we hope will
> enable us to adopt a more iterative and faster release cycle. This, in turn,
> will allow us to release more often with more interesting and useful
> features packed into each release.
>
> Here’s how you can get in on the action:
>
> 1) Help us add cool, new features by submitting patches to the Joomla 1.6
> Feature Patch Tracker athttp://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla/tracker/?action=TrackerItemBr...
> Once we have a fairly stable package with ACL, MooTools 1.2, and
> nested
> categories, we would like to have a couple of patch sprints where we will
> review and commit patches that have been submitted to the tracker.
>
> 2) Help us fix those silly bugs by submitting bug reports to the Joomla 1.6
> Bug Tracker athttp://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla/tracker/?action=TrackerItemBr...

Rob Schley

May 28, 2009, 2:26:23 AM5/28/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Just so everyone knows, the trunk has been moved to branches/experimental and the new trunk has been put in place. There's already been a ton of progress and most of the existing ACL logic has been changed to use the new APIs.

Best,
Rob

Mr Phil E. Taylor

May 28, 2009, 4:58:30 AM5/28/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Are you also changing the license from GPL GNU v2 to v3?

Version 2 here:
http://opensourcematters.org/license-trademark-and-copyright.html

Version 3 is now linked to in each file:
@license GNU General Public License <http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html>

Kindest regards
Phil.

Rob Schley wrote:
> Just so everyone knows, the trunk has been moved to
> branches/experimental and the new trunk has been put in place. There's
> already been a ton of progress and most of the existing ACL logic has
> been changed to use the new APIs.
>
> Best,
> Rob
>
> On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 1:17 PM, Torkil <torkil....@gmail.com
> <mailto:torkil....@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> Wow! I know lots of people who will be thrilled to read this!
>
> On 27 Mai, 04:24, Rob Schley <rob.sch...@community.joomla.org

> <http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla/tracker/?action=TrackerItemBr.>..

> > Once we have a fairly stable package with ACL, MooTools 1.2, and
> > nested
> > categories, we would like to have a couple of patch sprints where
> we will
> > review and commit patches that have been submitted to the tracker.
> >
> > 2) Help us fix those silly bugs by submitting bug reports to the
> Joomla 1.6
> > Bug Tracker
> athttp://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla/tracker/?action=TrackerItemBr.

> <http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla/tracker/?action=TrackerItemBr.>..

> > We will be clearing this out when we swap out the existing trunk with
> > the
> > new one.
> >
> > 3) Help us make the system easier to use by suggesting changes
> that will
> > improve usability. Send your suggestions to the Joomla CMS Development
> > Mailing List/Group
> athttp://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-cmswith
> <http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-dev-cmswith>
> > “Usability” in the title.
> >
> > Enjoy,
> > Rob Schley

Andrew Eddie

May 28, 2009, 5:45:52 AM5/28/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Phil, we've been over this before.

No, the license isn't changing. The code has always, and will ever be
released under the GNU General Public License. The version is
unspecified.

Regards,
Andrew Eddie
http://www.theartofjoomla.com - the art of becoming a Joomla developer

Mr Phil E. Taylor

May 28, 2009, 8:48:35 AM5/28/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Then lets agree to disagree.

We all agree that the license displayed in the docblock is the important
one.

The docblock links to v3 of the GPL.

OSM's official "License, Trademark and Copyright" page clearly states:
http://opensourcematters.org/license-trademark-and-copyright.html
"Joomla! is licensed under the GNU GPL v2."

OSM's official FAQ regarding licensing clearly states v2
http://opensourcematters.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=55
What license does Joomla! use?
The GNU General Public License Version 2.
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html
Within the context of this FAQ, "GNU GPL" and "GPL" refer to the GNU
General Public License Version 2.

clearly stated: Within the context of this FAQ, "GNU GPL" and "GPL"
refer to the GNU General Public License Version 2

The installation pages of Joomla 1.5 and Joomla 1.6SVN clearly state v2.

OSM/Joomla always link to the GPL v2 license text, however FSF state:

"When linking to our licenses, it's usually best to link to the latest
version; hence the standard URLs such as
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html have no version number.
Occasionally, however, you may want to link to a specific version of a
given license. In those situations, you can use the following links"

So OSM/Joomla have intentionally and specifically linked to a particular
and older GPL license.

Maybe its time now to review all these places to ensure they all state
GNU GPL only with no version number and link to the
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html instead of a version specific? ...

Kindest regards
Phil.

elin

May 28, 2009, 9:15:18 AM5/28/09
to Joomla! CMS Development
Ok, I've explained this numerous times.

Joomla is GNU GPL v2.

GNU GPL v2 includes an "or later" provision that comes into play
whenever no version is specified in the files.

The Joomla source files do not specify a version. Therefore the "or
later" clause can be used.

That means that someone could relicense if they did the other
necessary work.

What matters is the text in the files (not the link) and in the
license file that is distributed with the package ( in the
installation folder in 1.6) and that is v2.

Yes the docblocks should be fixed, maybe a more helpful initial post
would have been:

"It looks like the wrong license text is linked from the docblocks.
The generic link is to the most recent version, but Joomla uses an
older one. Here's the proper one. http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html"

Then the response would have been
"Good catch. Thanks."

Elin

On May 28, 8:48 am, "Mr Phil E. Taylor" <p...@phil-taylor.com> wrote:
> Then lets agree to disagree.
>
> We all agree that the license displayed in the docblock is the important
> one.
>
> The docblock links to v3 of the GPL.
>
> OSM's official "License, Trademark and Copyright" page clearly states:http://opensourcematters.org/license-trademark-and-copyright.html
> "Joomla! is licensed under the GNU GPL v2."
>
> OSM's official FAQ regarding licensing clearly states v2http://opensourcematters.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=articl...
>         What license does Joomla! use?
>         The GNU General Public License Version 2.
>        http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html
>         Within the context of this FAQ, "GNU GPL" and "GPL" refer to the    GNU
> General Public License Version 2.
>
> clearly stated: Within the context of this FAQ, "GNU GPL" and "GPL"
> refer to the GNU General Public License Version 2
>
> The installation pages of Joomla 1.5 and Joomla 1.6SVN clearly state v2.
>
> OSM/Joomla always link to the GPL v2 license text, however FSF state:
>
> "When linking to our licenses, it's usually best to link to the latest
> version; hence the standard URLs such ashttp://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.htmlhave no version number.
> Occasionally, however, you may want to link to a specific version of a
> given license. In those situations, you can use the following links"
>
> So OSM/Joomla have intentionally and specifically linked to a particular
> and older GPL license.
>
> Maybe its time now to review all these places to ensure they all state
> GNU GPL only with no version number and link to thehttp://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.htmlinstead of a version specific? ...
>
> Kindest regards
> Phil.
>
> Andrew Eddie wrote:
> > Phil, we've been over this before.
>
> > No, the license isn't changing.  The code has always, and will ever be
> > released under the GNU General Public License.  The version is
> > unspecified.
>
> > Regards,
> > Andrew Eddie
> >http://www.theartofjoomla.com- the art of becoming a Joomla developer
>
> > 2009/5/28 Mr Phil E. Taylor <p...@phil-taylor.com>:
> >> Are you also changing the license from GPL GNU v2 to v3?
>
> >> Version 2 here:
> >>http://opensourcematters.org/license-trademark-and-copyright.html
>
> >> Version 3 is now linked to in each file:
> >> @license GNU General Public License <http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html>
>
> >> Kindest regards
> >> Phil.

>  smime.p7s
> 6KViewDownload

Amy Stephen

May 28, 2009, 2:51:33 PM5/28/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
CMSWire had an excellent discussion entitled "Open Source: The GPL, Your CMS Project and You" where Dee-Ann LeBlanc talks about exactly this issue, and why many free software projects use this approach. She also links to good resources from the SFLC and provides Pamela Jones of Groklaw's explanation for why it is done this way.

http://www.cmswire.com/cms/web-cms/open-source-the-gpl-your-cms-project-and-you-004329.php

Worth a read!

Thanks!
Amy :)

Beat

May 29, 2009, 3:15:46 AM5/29/09
to Joomla! CMS Development

On May 28, 3:15 pm, elin <elin.war...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, I've explained this numerous times.
>
> Joomla is GNU GPL v2.
>
> Yes the docblocks should be fixed,  maybe a more helpful initial post
> would have been:
>
> "It looks like the wrong license text is linked from the docblocks.
> The generic link is to the most recent version, but Joomla uses an
> older one. Here's the proper one.http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html"
>
> Then the response would have been
> "Good catch. Thanks."
>
> Elin

Elin,
You're Correct. I can confirm: I reported exactly this "bug" on the
trackers long ago (2 years?), and the change of links of "gpl.html" to
"gpl-2.0.html" was done, but seems only in joomla 1.0.

I tried finding the tracker item, but searches "by submitter" or "by
subject" are not activated on joomlacode, so could not find.

---

Amy, thanks for this very interesting link.

Rob Schley

May 29, 2009, 3:24:03 AM5/29/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for pointing this out. I will fix this tomorrow so that it is clear for everyone.

Best,
Rob

Rob Schley

May 31, 2009, 11:21:36 PM5/31/09
to joomla-...@googlegroups.com
Well, it took me a little bit longer but I just committed the clarifications. The license declarations now read as "GNU General Public License version 2 or later; see LICENSE.txt" and LICENSE.txt has been moved back into the root folder so that it will not be deleted upon installation.

Enjoy,
Rob