International Trade Policy Analyst at Friends of the Earth

Nick Berning

Jan 5, 2011, 2:57:26 PM1/5/11
to jobstha...@googlegroups.com

Friends of the Earth US

Job title: International Trade Policy Analyst

Position location: Washington, DC

Position reports to: Coordinator, Economic Policy Project

Friends of the Earth U.S. and our network of grassroots groups in 77 countries are fighting to defend the environment and create a more healthy and just world. We're hard-hitting, progressive environmental advocates that pull no punches and speak sometimes uncomfortable truth to power. It's an approach that has worked for four decades to produce important victories that have protected our planet and its people.

In accomplishing our mission, Friends of the Earth (FOE) is working at the nexus of environmental protection, economic policy and social justice to fundamentally transform the way our country and the world values people and the environment.  We are focused on reforming economic drivers such as tax or trade policy that are often used to empower corporations and government to harm the environment.

Friends of the Earth has campaigned on international trade issues for more than 15 years.  Through direct advocacy, public education and policy analysis, we seek to eliminate trade and investment rules that threaten environmental protection, while advancing economic policies that promote sustainable development, human rights, and corporate accountability.  The trade campaign supports other FOE programs such as our work on biofuels, climate and energy, food and technology, and Green Scissors (eliminating environmentally harmful subsidies).

The International Trade Policy Analyst at Friends of the Earth is responsible for:

-       Collaborating with various Friends of the Earth campaigns to develop trade-related analysis and support issue advocacy;

-       Working with coalitions to develop and execute trade-related advocacy;

-       Analyzing  the environmental aspects of US and international trade and investment policy, including bilateral investment treaties, regional free trade agreements such as the Transpacific Partnership, and World Trade Organization agreements;

-       Conducting lobbying and organizing, both domestically and internationally, to further the goals of the project;

-       Producing fact sheet and reports;

-       Conducting media outreach and representing Friends of the Earth in the press and to the public.

Requirements and Special Knowledge

This position requires five years of experience in campaigning and policy advocacy, preferably on trade-related matters.

Strong candidates will have experience working with diverse coalitions, both domestic and international; and proven abilities to conduct effective advocacy campaigns.  Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required; Spanish a plus.

Salary

This position offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience. Benefits package includes healthcare, paid vacation, sick leave, and an employee contribution-based retirement plan.

To Apply

E-mail cover letter, resume and short writing sample to jo...@foe.org with the subject heading “International Trade Policy Analyst.”  No mail applications or phone calls. Position will remain open until filled.