JOB: New Media Intern at Fission Strategy, Washington, DC

Austen Levihn-Coon

Jan 7, 2011, 11:18:35 AM1/7/11
JOB: New Media Intern at Fission Strategy, Washington, DC

Location: Washington, DC

Hours and duration: Starting January 2010; 15-30 hours per week

Salary:  This internship is unpaid.  Academic credit may be available depending on your institution’s requirements.

Application Deadline: Tuesday, January 11

Fission Strategy helps social causes harness social media for social good. We specialize in delivering social media and mobile-driven strategies for nonprofits and foundations.  We also offer custom website and web application development. We have a small, fun crew that stays in touch throughout the workday on Yammer, Skype, email, and IM. Our clients are fantastic (http://fissionstrategy.com/clients/) and the projects are exciting.  We are a "virtual" company -- our team is spread out across the US, with one hub in Washington, DC.

Position overview: Fission strategy seeks a New Media Intern to provide support in the development and implementation of online outreach and advocacy campaigns.  This position will provide the opportunity to work with a broad variety of non-profit organizations on a range of issues.  Interns will get direct, hands-on experience with online campaigning and have the opportunity to assist in web development, design, and operations projects. Responsibilities may include: implementing social media outreach campaigns, monitoring and evaluating client social media campaigns, and researching emerging new media tools and trends.  Academic credit may be available for this position depending on your institution’s requirements.

Required Skills & Qualifications
  • Excellent writing and editing skills
  • Very tech-savvy, with the ability to quickly learn online software
  • Strong research skills
  • Proven interest in new media and social media trends and tools and familiarity with Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and other social networks
  • Demonstrated interest in progressive issue advocacy

Desired Skills & Qualifications
  • Familiarity with online organizing practices, including social network and blogger outreach.
  • Competence in  HTML, CSS, PHP, Java or related languages.
  • Familiarity with Democracy in Action or similar program (Blue State Digital, Convio, ActionKit, etc.).
  • Experience in online or grassroots organizing for nonprofit and/or political campaigns.
  • Previous media or web administration experience.
  • Familiarity with online advertising, including blog ads, traditional banner advertising, Facebook advertising, and search engine marketing.
  • Data collection and analysis skills, proficiency with Microsoft Excel.
  • Experience with Google Analytics.
  • Comfort with image manipulation and video editing and production.
  • Ability to write compelling email copy, with an understanding of what makes some emails more effective at generating action than others.

Candidates must be reliable and willing to commit for 3 months or more.  The ideal candidate will be a self-starter, have a strong work ethic, be willing to learn, and be excited about the opportunities new media provide to support advocacy campaigns. Candidates must have their own laptop, and be comfortable working independently.

To Apply:  Email inter...@fissionstrategy.com with your name and “Application: New Media Intern” in the subject line.  Attach your resume and cover letter. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community and others are strongly encouraged to apply.