Executive Director, Color of Change (Bay Area)

Evan Sutton

Jan 7, 2011, 12:05:38 PM1/7/11
to JobsthatareLEFT
Job Title: Executive Director, Color of Change (Bay Area)

Overview

ColorOfChange.org is hiring a new Executive Director to oversee all
aspects of the organization’s work. Founded in 2005 in the wake of
Hurricane Katrina, ColorOfChange.org has since become one of the
preeminent organizations in the U.S. working to amplify the voices of
Black people and our allies. Our work covers a wide range of issues,
including inequities in the criminal justice system, racism in the
media, and the Gulf Coast rebuilding process. Through online and
offline tactics, our campaigns activate hundreds of thousands of
people, achieve concrete impacts, and are covered widely in the
mainstream and alternative press. We are a nimble, impactful
organization looking for a dynamic leader to take our efforts to the
next level. This position is based in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Position Responsibilities

* Drive all aspects of organizational strategy and implementation
* Manage a team of three, including overseeing workload and
conducting regular evaluations
* Oversee hiring of new team members and consultants
* Identify and evaluate new campaign opportunities
* Oversee planning and execution of all campaigns
* Review and improve organizational systems
* Make presentations on behalf of the organization to partners and
funders
* Lead fundraising efforts including creation of grant proposals
and reports

Qualifications

The ideal candidate is an entrepreneurial thinker who is detail-
oriented, well organized, and politically savvy. He or she should have
exceptional written and verbal communicator and be able to alternate
regularly from thinking big-picture to managing implementation. Self-
confidence is critical, as is being able to work well with other
confident individuals on the team and in partner organizations. While
our initial search will focus on individuals with a background in
grassroots organizing and political strategy, we will also consider
applicants from other fields who have the necessary skills and
experience. This position will be based in the Bay Area.

Must Haves

* At least 5 years of management experience, with demonstrated
ability to lead a team, coordinate with partners, and make concrete
impacts
* Excellent written communication, research, and organizational
skills
* The ability to work well under pressure and handle several
projects at one time
* A commitment to social and racial justice and the empowerment of
everyday people to participate more deeply in the political process

Positives

* Direct experience doing political or social organizing
* A demonstrated sense of what makes for a good grassroots
organizing campaign
* An understanding of Internet-based organizing and Web
technologies
* Familiarity with the legislative and electoral process and
political media
* Be based in the San Francisco Bay Area or be willing to relocate

Compensation

Salary for this position will be commensurate with experience and
includes full health benefits.

Application Process

Interested applicants should email jo...@colorofchange.org with a
resume, cover letter, and 3-page writing sample, ideally related to
organizing or political work if possible.