Paid communications internship with Friends of the Earth

kellyt

Dec 14, 2009, 1:35:08 PM12/14/09
to JobsthatareLEFT
Job Title: Communications Intern
Position works with Friends of the Earth’s Communications team:
Director of Public Advocacy and Media Relations and the Internet
Outreach Manager
Position Location: Washington, DC

Summary

Friends of the Earth (www.foe.org) is the U.S. voice of the world’s
largest grassroots environmental network, with member groups in 77
countries. Our mission is to create a more healthy, just world. Our
current campaigns focus on clean energy and solutions to global
warming, protecting human health from toxic and new, potentially
harmful technologies, and promoting low-and-no-pollution
transportation alternatives. We’re a hard-hitting, progressive group
that pulls no punches and speaks sometimes uncomfortable truths to
power.

We’re looking for an intern to join our communications team. This
internship is intended for someone who is considering a career in the
environmental or progressive movements, or in nonprofit or advocacy
communications -- someone who intends to learn and wants first-hand
experience performing a wide variety of communications functions.
We’ll give you an opportunity to gain that experience and network with
people in these fields; in return, we expect you to help us promote
our brand and share our perspective on pressing policy issues with
members and activists, policy makers, members of the media, and the
broader public.

Major Responsibilities:

• Draft a wide variety of written content (this includes, but isn’t
limited to, fact sheets, news releases, text for web pages, blog
posts, e-mail action alerts, op-eds, letters to newspaper editors,
memoranda, magazine articles and tweets).
• Build and update media contact lists.
• Track media coverage.
• Pitch stories to reporters.
• Create and update pages on our website.
• Produce multimedia content, including photos and videos.
• Attend and help with logistics for various meetings and events.
• Edit others’ writing.
• Quickly learn about the issues on which we work and the positions we
take on them, as well as the range of communications tactics we
employ.
• Identify new communications opportunities for Friends of the Earth
and ways to act on them.
• Perform other communications functions as needed.
• Assist other Friends of the Earth departments with their work on an
occasional basis.

You Should Be:

• College graduate (preferred).
• A strong writer and editor, who can make complex policy, scientific
and legal issues interesting and accessible to the broader public.
• A hard worker who is eager to learn and is enthusiastic about taking
on work ranging from challenging, intellectually stimulating tasks to
more mundane responsibilities.
• Politically savvy, with at least a basic knowledge of the federal
legislative process, national politics, and environmental issues.
• A consumer of a variety of types of traditional, new and social
media, such as newspapers, books, radio, TV, blogs, Facebook, YouTube
and Twitter.
• An environmentalist, who cares deeply about the future of our planet
and the people on it.
• Someone who’s personable, enjoys working in teams, is professional,
and has a sense of humor.

NOT REQUIRED, BUT HELPFUL: Knowledge of HTML and website content
management, experience working or volunteering for a media outlet
(including campus media), graphic design or video production skill and
experience, previous activism or political experience.

Salary

This position pays $10 an hour. Our work week is 37.5 hours. The
position will run from three to six months and is not eligible for
benefits.

To Apply

E-mail cover letter, resume and short writing sample to jo...@foe.org
with the subject heading “Communications Internship.” No mail
applications or phone calls. Position will remain open until filled.
Friends of the Earth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

kellyt

Dec 22, 2009, 10:48:27 AM12/22/09
to JobsthatareLEFT