So it makes coffee! Why not beer ?

Francisco Bento

Dec 9, 2011, 5:35:01 PM12/9/11
to jHome
Hi guys,

I attended at the Java One Brasil Keynote and would like to
congratulate you for this awesome project.
One of my hobbies is 'homebrew' - make beer at home. Altough Im not a
very experienced brewer since I started to brew (7 months ago) I've
been always looking for ways to automate the brewing process and make
it less laborious, and the jHome project seems to fit very nicely for
some parts of the beer-brewing process.

During the beer making process, there's a step called "Mashing". In
this process, you basically add crushed malt in hot water, and let it
rest for generally one hour. The problem is that the temperature of
the mixture must be controlled during this time - lets say, 68º
Celsius. To control the temperature, what people usually do is to wait
next to the stove watching the thermometer that goes inside the mash.
If the temperature drops then you have to turn the stove back on until
it recovers the desired temperature.
Some beers requires a "multi-rest mashing" schedule, lets say 40°C -
60°C - 70°C with a half-hour rest at each temperature - but its very
painful to control not to mention the error probabilities.

So, my idea is to build an equipment controlled by jHome which would
ideally keep track of the whole mashing process based on some user-
provided mashing profile.
This would be very simillar to a "thermostat" with the difference that
it would control a multi-temperature profile.
The flow would be something like this:

1. jHome reads the temperature from a termometer that is inside the
mash
2. while temperature is bellow the configured temperature, then turn
on the immersion water heater, something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Bush-CH-101-Energy-Saving-Immersion-Heater/dp/B003DLB5KW/ref=pd_sim_auto_3
but bigger (a 3000W one is usually used)
3. if temperature has reached the configured temperature, turn off the
immersion water heater

Given the profile: 40°C - 60°C - 70°C for 30 minutes each, jHome would
heat the water until it reaches 40º, rest for 30 minutes (controlling
the temperature during this time, in case it drops), then heat until
it reaches 60º, rest for 30 minutes, then heat until 70º and rest for
30 min.

It seems very similar to the 'brew coffee' scenario, with some changes
(thermometer reading + temperature ramps).

Im an experienced java developer but have no eletronic engineering
skills, so is someone interest in joining in ? Would it be the 1st
java-beer ?

Sorry if it wasn't clear enough, I can provide more info if needed.

All this typing made me thirsty, better have a homebrewed beer now :-)

Thanks and have a nice weekend.

Cheers,
Chico

Alexandre Gomes

Dec 10, 2011, 5:01:16 AM12/10/11
to jhome-gl...@googlegroups.com
Fair enough. I love social projects for the good of the human being :-)

[]s!

Vinicius Senger

Dec 10, 2011, 5:47:18 AM12/10/11
to jhome-gl...@googlegroups.com
Hello jHomers!

I talked with this luck guy during JavaOne and we are definitely going
to implement jHome for beer mashing process. This is the best usage of
PID (proportional, integral, derivative) algorithm ever!

Francisco:

What about scheduling some Saturday (2012) in some place with your
equipment to make the first tests?

I'm going to buy the equipment also and I'm looking for some temperature
sensor for that, some suggestion?

Looking forward for that!

-Vinicius

Francisco B S Neto

Dec 10, 2011, 6:41:38 AM12/10/11
to jhome-gl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Sounds like a great plan!!! Ideally in january, then we gonna have something done for the carnaval :).
I work in Indaiatuba, live in an apartment at Campinas and in the weekends I head to São João da Boa Vista - SP close to Poços de Caldas - MG and about 100Km away from campinas which is where my parents and SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) live :). Currently all my equipments are at São João at my parents home. Is São João ok for you ?

Right now Im in the process of improving my equipment - I started the automation process, did some tests but havent used it in a real batch yet. Im still missing the immersion water heater which Im planning to get a 3000W one (I use a gas stove for heating). The automated system that Im targeting at is called HERMS.
In this early stage, the thermostat that Im using to control the temperature (which will hopefully be replaced by jHome soon) is the Full Gauge Tic 17RGTi - its widely used by the homebrew comunity in brasil.

Thanks guys for your support!

Vinicius Senger

Dec 14, 2011, 10:04:53 AM12/14/11
to jhome-gl...@googlegroups.com
How many people we can have there?

Do you have some "kit" to recommend me to buy??

-Vinicius

Message has been deleted

Francisco B S Neto

Dec 15, 2011, 8:20:15 AM12/15/11
to jhome-gl...@googlegroups.com
@Hugo
Thanks a lot!! Looking forward to write the most exciting EJB ever: EJBeer.

@Vinicius
There's enough room for many people, lets say 6,8.... How many people are you thinking of ?
Regarding the kits there are two main suppliers here in brasil: A Turma in Campinas and WE Consultoria in Porto Alegre. I started with this kit, but I had to buy lots of extra stuff since this is a malt extract only kit and here in Brasil malt extract is not popular - here we make 'all grain' beers which requires more tools. You may also buy the items from different suppliers instead of buying the whole kit. Some items I bought from regular stores (like the cooking pots) and adapted to homebrew myself - like adding spigots to the pots, etc... I think that its better you wait our first hack'n brew session to have a better picture of the process/items needed.

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 8:41 PM, Hugo Cesar C. Lavalle <hugo.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
Cool !!  "JBeer" !

I deserve success for this enterprise, and hope someday I can taste
the final product.

On 10 dez, 09:41, Francisco B S Neto <chicobe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sounds like a great plan!!! Ideally in january, then we gonna have
> something done for the carnaval :).
> I work in Indaiatuba, live in an apartment at Campinas and in the weekends
> I head to São João da Boa Vista - SP close to Poços de Caldas - MG and
> about 100Km away from campinas which is where my parents and SWMBO (she who
> must be obeyed) live :). Currently all my equipments are at São João at my
> parents home. Is São João ok for you ?
>
> Right now Im in the process of improving my equipment - I started the
> automation process, did some tests but havent used it in a real batch yet.
> Im still missing the immersion water heater which Im planning to get a

> (I use a gas stove for heating). The automated system that Im
> targeting

> In this early stage, the thermostat that Im using to control the
> temperature (which will hopefully be replaced by jHome soon) is the Full

> its widely used by the homebrew comunity in brasil.
>
> Thanks guys for your support!
>
> On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Vinicius Senger <vinic...@globalcode.com.br

Hugo Cesar C. Lavalle

Dec 15, 2011, 4:24:17 PM12/15/11
to jHome
Sorry, I mistyped "deserved" (guess that I was thinking in portuguese
"desejo"), but the correct is "I wish success.."

I felt so embarassed that I removed the message, but I can see you got
the point :-)

On 15 dez, 11:20, Francisco B S Neto <chicobe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> @Hugo
> Thanks a lot!! Looking forward to write the most exciting EJB ever: EJBeer.
>
> @Vinicius
> There's enough room for many people, lets say 6,8.... How many people are
> you thinking of ?
> Regarding the kits there are two main suppliers here in brasil: A

> Turma<http://cervejacas.lojatemporaria.com/equipamentos/kit-equipamentos.html>in
> Campinas and WE
> Consultoria<http://www.weconsultoria.com.br/index.php?objeto=galeria&acao=visuali....>in

> Porto Alegre. I started with this

> kit<http://www.homebrewers.com/c=BPKWse9G2A3cuuWiSHMOQvmbJ/product/STARTE...>,

Thomas Modeneis

Dec 17, 2011, 7:30:35 AM12/17/11
to jhome-gl...@googlegroups.com
I just love the JBeer idea....I can even imagine the JBeer in my kitchen already!! :D
Can I join you guys ?

Bruce Juntti

Feb 13, 2012, 3:50:49 PM2/13/12
to jHome
Hello,

I'm in the Seattle area where we have a ton of great microbrews and
beer enthusiasts. I'm a self-proclaimed hop-head, myself. :-)
I saw a question about what temperature probe to use; I would suggest
Maxim Semiconductor (was Dallas Semiconductor) 1-wire
devices. These are amazing little devices that only use two wires
(including ground) for temperature measurement. They even have
temperature set points at which they send an "alarm" to the 1-wire
master. This would seem perfect for watching mash. I saw an
Arduino article for 1-wire on the web at http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Learning/OneWire.
I've been playing with 1-wire devices
for a while now using Maxim's TINI reference design (uses a very
clever 80C400 Java-based microcontroller).

Bruce