Report From Onboard Jenny

Da...@schramm-family.net

Dec 15, 2010, 8:19:21 AM12/15/10
to jennyj...@googlegroups.com
Wednesday, December 15, 2010 8:14:35 AM Location: Boot Key Harbor Latitude is 24 degrees 42.307 minutes north. Longitude is 81 degrees 5.898 minutes west. This weather observation was taken on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 8:00:56 AM local time. Observation location: Boot Key Harbor. Latitude is 24 degrees 42.306 minutes north. Longitude is 81 degrees 5.901 minutes west. The air temperature is 55, and water temperature is 0 degrees fahrenheit. The forecast is Cold. The current weather is dry. The sky is clear or a few clouds. The wind is 15 knots from the north. The visibility is 10 nautical miles. The wave height is 0 feet with 0 foot swells. The barometer is 1026 millibars and steady. We hope everyone is having a happy holiday season. Melinda and I just rented a car and took a road trip up to Tampa and Sarasota to visit the kids. We were going to ride the 350 miles on the motorcycle, but it turned really cold last week and has remained so. The weather said we were breaking records at 20 degrees below the average. Brrrr. Thank God for the nice furnace we have on Jenny. We pity the folks on boats that have no heat. Even with the furnace, it is chilly. This is the first time I have used it extensively when on the hook and have found that even though the heat is generated from the diesel furnace, the water pump and fans consume a ton of electricity. We have been having to run the genset a couple of times a each day to keep the batteries up. We had the car for an extra day, so spent Monday restocking the refrigerator and buying another blanket for our bed. It was great having a car when it is so cold. We also did a couple of loads of laundry and some internet surfing. I have begun an upgrade to my BoatExec software to make the maintenance features easier to access and a little better and hope to publish that this week. Melinda is loving the cold, but I think the novelty is starting to ware off. Having lived all her life at 10 degrees north, she has never experienced seasons. She really wants to experience snow, but I think a lot of that has to do with the new wardrobe that goes with it. We've been buying winter clothes for her here and she likes that too. She certainly has become comfortable with living on Jenny and even though we had a wonderful time visiting the kids, we both were glad to get back home. We plan to be here through Christmas and probably will have our neighbors over for Christmas day dinner. We just met Mike and Christi on S/V Anam Cara briefly, but they seem very nice. We will have them over for cocktails sometime soon. David Powered by BoatExec http://www.BoatExec.com