Report From Onboard Jenny

Da...@schramm-family.net

Nov 9, 2010, 7:04:49 PM11/9/10
to JennyJ...@googlegroups.com
Tuesday, November 09, 2010 7:04:32 PM Location: Boot Key Harbor The boat position was not recorded. No recent weather observation is available. Melinda and I are enjoying it here. The north wind ended yesterday and today was beautiful with a low around 66F and a high around 78F. Pretty much perfect. Melinda loves the cool weather and sleeping under blankets. She much prefers the cool than the tropical heat she has known all her life. We loaded water today and did laundry. We really did not need much water, maybe because we were catching some from the stormy night a few days ago. My main project is now to replace the caulking in ALL the pilot house windows. Even the side windows. It is quite a lot of work digging the old stuff out and preparing the seam for the new stuff. So, it is taking about two days per window to prep them. Only eight to do. UGH. But the nice thing is that the new stuff will look a lot better and will last another twenty years. Also, Melinda and I began our six-month waxing job today. We start at the top and work down. The weather is perfect, so we might get this done by the weekend. First the white superstructure and then the hull. We are having new friends over tomorrow night for snacks and drinks. Friends of Greg are on a big ketch right next to us. So, we hooked up yesterday and asked them over. They seem nice and a lot of fun. Saturday we will head to one of the local "clubs" to check them out. I've been thinking about West Coast cruising v. East. I'd have to say that the west coast of Mexico is one of the nicest I have experienced. All of the West Coast is great trawler water. The people, the weather and the sea are all wonderful. South of there is true adventure cruising until you get through the canal. The Caribbean is great for sailboats since the minimum wind is about ten knots, and usually in the teens or low twenty's. You have to get up to about Daytona in FL before you are out of the trade winds. Then the sea becomes a trawler sea again. Time to watch Hero's on the computer. Melinda has not seen the series and is loving them. David Powered by BoatExec http://www.BoatExec.com