Will a multi-configuration / matrix job always use up one executor on the master?

Martin B.

Jul 20, 2011, 9:34:40 AM7/20/11
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I'm currently trying to run a small job on all of my currently two nodes
via the multi-configuration / matrix Job Type.

For testing purposes, I added one Axis (Slaves) and just checked one
Slave (the non-master one).

Now, when I run this Job, there is always a "main" Job running in the
master's executor that is starting a "sub" Job on the slave, essentially
using up the one executor slot I have configured on the master.

So, a multi-configuration will always take up two executors? Is the
master always used, or only in my simplistic setup?

cheers,
Martin

Oh, btw., the
[docs](https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Building+a+matrix+project)
could use some work. :-)

Sami Tikka

Jul 21, 2011, 2:42:18 AM7/21/11
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
The "extra" executor goes to a random node. The fact that you see it always on master is just because builds have some affinity to a node where they have recently been run. There is a plugin that you can use to tie the extra parent build to a certain node.

However, the extra parent build does not use an executor. Jenkins adds an unnamed temporary executor to the node.

-- Sami

Martin B.

Jul 21, 2011, 4:35:53 AM7/21/11
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
> However, the extra parent build does not use an executor. Jenkins
adds an unnamed temporary executor to the node.

Thanks a lot for this information! I have put this info onto the WIKI page.

cheers,
Martin