Debian Jekins update nukes /var/lib/hudson

Tim Pizey

Feb 3, 2011, 10:12:29 AM2/3/11
to jenkinsci-users
Hi,

It is just possible that something else happened,
but I have reviewed the sequence of events and it seems
that
apt-get install jenkins
deleted my hudson installation, completely.

It turns out that I have not got a backup, so have lost my whole
install (my bad, boo hoo)
however I think someone should check this pretty urgently.

I had a standard Hudson, debian installed, and followed the instructions at
http://pkg.jenkins-ci.org/debian/
As noted on previous post debian/lenny is not happy with redirects, but
when I had fixed that the actual log gives:

# apt-get install jenkins
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
hudson
jenkins
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 to remove and 29 not upgraded.
Need to get 36.5 MB of archives.
After this operation, 7,500 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
Get:1 http://pkg.jenkins-ci.org/debian/ binary/ jenkins 1.396 [36.5 MB]
Fetched 36.5 MB in 4min 57s (122 kB/s)
(Reading database ... 42955 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing hudson ...
Selecting previously deselected package jenkins.
(Reading database ... 42953 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking jenkins (from .../archives/jenkins_1.396_all.deb) ...
Setting up jenkins (1.396) ...
Adding system user `jenkins' (UID 108) ...
Adding new user `jenkins' (UID 108) with group `nogroup' ...
Not creating home directory `/var/lib/jenkins'.
Starting Jenkins Continuous Integration Server: jenkinsThe selected
http port (8080) seems to be in use by another program
Please select another port to use for jenkins
.

The final startup failure should not be relevant.
Not sure where the message
Not creating home directory `/var/lib/jenkins'.
is coming from, but I imagine that is due to it already existing due
to or during user creation.

I am, obviously, pretty annoyed with myself for not taking any precautions,
but pretty disappointed.

Tim

--
Tim Pizey - http://pizey.net/~timp

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace

Feb 3, 2011, 10:47:55 AM2/3/11
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim,

If you run netstat -ntpl as root, does it show you what else is
listening on port 8080?

M.

Tim Pizey

Feb 3, 2011, 10:55:08 AM2/3/11
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your reply.
Jetty is on 8080.

I have Jenkins running, fine, but with no configuration.
All the jobs and users have been deleted.
Not renamed or anything, deleted, gone, no longer on the system.

Teach me to wing it!

Tim

Centre for Genomics and Global Health - http://cggh.org

Brian Atkinson

Feb 3, 2011, 11:00:39 AM2/3/11
to Jenkins Users
Till this can get sorted out, I added a note about performing a backup
prior to upgrade and a reference to this discussion on the upgrade
wiki page: http://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Upgrading+from+Hudson+to+Jenkins

Brian

On Feb 3, 9:12 am, Tim Pizey <tim.pi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It is just possible that something else happened,
> but I have reviewed the sequence of events and it seems
> that
> apt-get install jenkins
> deleted my hudson installation, completely.
>
> It turns out that I have not got a backup, so have lost my whole
> install (my bad, boo hoo)
> however I think someone should check this pretty urgently.
>
> I had a standard Hudson, debian installed, and followed the instructions athttp://pkg.jenkins-ci.org/debian/
> As noted on previous post debian/lenny is not happy with redirects, but
> when I had fixed that the actual log gives:
>
> # apt-get install jenkins
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   hudson
>   jenkins
> 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 to remove and 29 not upgraded.
> Need to get 36.5 MB of archives.
> After this operation, 7,500 kB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
> Get:1http://pkg.jenkins-ci.org/debian/binary/ jenkins 1.396 [36.5 MB]

Richard Mortimer

Feb 3, 2011, 11:45:59 AM2/3/11
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
I just testing installing hudson 1.395 as a fresh install and then
installing jenkins 1.396 on top of it. My /var/lib/hudson directory did
disappear but it actually gets renamed to /var/lib/jenkins

You can test this by looking for a .from-hudson file in /var/lib/jenkins
i.e.

richm@shirehall:~$ ls -a /var/lib/jenkins/
. .from-hudson nodeMonitors.xml secret.key
.. hudson.model.UpdateCenter.xml plugins updates
.fontconfig jobs queue.xml.bak userContent

the relevant lines from the postinstall script are

# If we have an old hudson install, rename it to jenkins
if test -d /var/lib/hudson; then
# leave a marker to indicate this came from Hudson.
# could be useful down the road
# This also ensures that the .??* wildcard matches something
touch /var/lib/hudson/.from-hudson
mv -f /var/lib/hudson/* /var/lib/hudson/.??* /var/lib/jenkins
rmdir /var/lib/hudson
find /var/lib/jenkins -user hudson -exec chown jenkins {} +
|| true
fi

I can't comment on why your jobs disappeared.

Other comments inline below.

Regards

Richard

On 03/02/2011 15:55, Tim Pizey wrote:
> Hi Matthew,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
> Jetty is on 8080.

Did you have custom settings in /etc/default/hudson

The postinstall script doesn't seem to copy that over to
/etc/default/jenkins so you maybe just need to edit that.

This is just due to the options provided to the adduser command when the
jenkins user is created.

adduser --system --home /var/lib/jenkins --no-create-home \
--ingroup nogroup --disabled-password --shell /bin/bash \
jenkins

I'm not sure why it is done this way (it was in the original hudson
packages too) but I suspect it is to stop the /etc/skel files getting
copied into /var/lib/jenkins.