Email-ext sends an email when it shouldn't

Matthew...@diamond.ac.uk

Sep 14, 2011, 7:12:10 AM9/14/11
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
We use the email-ext plugin, and have configured a "Success" trigger" which, in the "Advanced" section, has all "Send to ..." options DE-selected. Thus if a build succeeds (and the previous build was also a success), then I don't expect any email to be sent.

However, since our most recent upgrade, on success an email is sent to the global recipient list. It looks like this is a bug introduced in version 2.15 of the plugin, possibly associated with the fix for https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-10783. Or it might have started happening when we last upgraded Jenkins.

Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks

Richard Mortimer

Sep 14, 2011, 7:45:56 AM9/14/11

On 14/09/2011 12:12, Matthew...@Diamond.ac.uk wrote:
> We use the email-ext plugin, and have configured a "Success" trigger" which, in the "Advanced" section, has all "Send to ..." options DE-selected. Thus if a build succeeds (and the previous build was also a success), then I don't expect any email to be sent.
>
> However, since our most recent upgrade, on success an email is sent to the global recipient list. It looks like this is a bug introduced in version 2.15 of the plugin, possibly associated with the fix for https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-10783. Or it might have started happening when we last upgraded Jenkins.
>
> Has anyone else seen this?

I thought that the "Success" trigger always emails. I think that you are
wanting to use the "Fixed" trigger. The latter only sends on the first
success after a group of failures.

Regards

Richard

Slide

Sep 14, 2011, 7:50:59 AM9/14/11
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

Try removing PROJECT_DEFAULT_RECIPIENTS from the trigger's list of recipients.

Matthew...@diamond.ac.uk

Sep 15, 2011, 3:57:38 AM9/15/11
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

Removing PROJECT_DEFAULT_RECIPIENTS solved the problem. Thanks.

Kamal Ahmed

Sep 15, 2011, 9:32:22 AM9/15/11
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
I have the exact same issue.

Just wanted to confirm, did you remove ALL instances of $PROJECT_DEFAULT_RECIPIENTS

from ../job/<JOB NMAE>/config.xml ?

sample:
 <email>
            <recipientList>$PROJECT_DEFAULT_RECIPIENTS</recipientList>
            <subject>$PROJECT_DEFAULT_SUBJECT</subject>
            <sendToDevelopers>false</sendToDevelopers>
            <sendToRequester>false</sendToRequester>
            <includeCulprits>false</includeCulprits>
            <sendToRecipientList>true</sendToRecipientList>
          </email>
        </hudson.plugins.emailext.plugins.trigger.UnstableTrigger>
        <hudson.plugins.emailext.plugins.trigger.FailureTrigger>
          <email>
            <recipientList>$PROJECT_DEFAULT_RECIPIENTS</recipientList>
            <subject>$PROJECT_DEFAULT_SUBJECT</subject>
            <sendToDevelopers>false</sendToDevelopers>
            <sendToRequester>false</sendToRequester>
            <includeCulprits>false</includeCulprits>
            <sendToRecipientList>true</sendToRecipientList>
          </email>
        </hudson.plugins.emailext.plugins.trigger.FailureTrigger>
        <hudson.plugins.emailext.plugins.trigger.StillFailingTrigger>
          <email>

Thanks,
-Kamal.

Matthew...@diamond.ac.uk

Sep 15, 2011, 10:47:03 AM9/15/11
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

No, I only removed them from the “Success” trigger – the one that I had defined, but had all "Send to ..." options DE-selected.

I think the email-ext plugin is confused about recipient lists. There is a system-wide recipient list defined under “Manage Jenkins”, then in each job which uses email-ext there is a “Global Recipient List” (which is not system-wide as the name global might suggest), and then for each separate trigger there is a “recipient” list. It is not at all clear how these interact, and what the “send to recipient list” really means.

Hope that helps.

Matthew

David Aldrich

Sep 20, 2011, 5:25:51 AM9/20/11
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

I have seen this behaviour since upgrading to Jenkins 1.430 and email-ext plugin 2.15.  Unfortunately, I can’t find a way of downgrading the plugin to 2.14.1.

David

Matthew...@diamond.ac.uk

Sep 20, 2011, 7:45:19 AM9/20/11
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

Having removed $PROJECT_DEFAULT_RECIPIENTS from the job config, I now find that it has mysteriously re-appeared! Presumably because I restarted Jenkins. It looks like this was broken in 2.15.

I have opened ticket https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-11061 for this.

Slide

Sep 20, 2011, 8:02:43 AM9/20/11
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

I'll take a look

On Sep 20, 2011 4:45 AM, <Matthew...@diamond.ac.uk> wrote:
> Having removed $PROJECT_DEFAULT_RECIPIENTS from the job config, I now find that it has mysteriously re-appeared! Presumably because I restarted Jenkins. It looks like this was broken in 2.15.
>
> I have opened ticket https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-11061 for this.

David Aldrich

Sep 20, 2011, 8:05:33 AM9/20/11
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for raising a ticket.

Slide

Sep 15, 2011, 11:16:11 AM9/15/11
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
I'll try and clear those up with some better descriptions.

Slide