update-center.json

Jesse Farinacci

Feb 24, 2011, 3:03:24 PM2/24/11
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Greetings,

I think we may have a small bug with the update-center.json generator.
If you take a peek at http://updates.jenkins-ci.org/update-center.json
there are several plugins which do not contain the requiredCore
key/value. The ones that caught my attention were my own, as I have
them requiring Jenkins 1.396 or better, e.g. console-column-plugin.

Can someone take a peek at this please? Thanks,

-Jesse

Alan Harder

Feb 24, 2011, 7:01:10 PM2/24/11
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for catching this! Lots of plugins are missing requiredCore (47
of 336).
I tracked down the change in maven-hpi-plugin that caused this [1] and
will fix ASAP.
Unfortunately this means all plugin releases using a parent version
1.393 or higher are missing this info in the release itself (*.hpi
file), so the Update Center won't warn you about upgrading to these
plugins even if they are meant for a newer core version.
We'll fix ASAP and may re-release those affected plugins.

- Alan

[1]
https://github.com/jenkinsci/maven-hpi-plugin/commit/08804c146cc5d84b219ad916eaa42dcbece6a0a8

Andrew Bayer

Feb 24, 2011, 8:19:23 PM2/24/11
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Alan Harder
FYI, I've released a new version of maven-hpi-plugin (1.64) with this fixed, and I've updated the 1.399 RC branch to use this version of maven-hpi-plugin. Any plugins that build against 1.399 (once it's out) or later will be just fine - plugins building against 1.393 through 1.398 will want to explicitly specify that they use maven-hpi-plugin 1.364, or just switch to building against 1.399 once it's out.

A.

Alan Harder

Feb 25, 2011, 1:41:40 PM2/25/11
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
http://jenkins.pastebin.com/x0ydnfvs

Here is the list of plugins affected by this.. 4 marked as DONE that I've already re-released.
The latest releases for these plugins did not record the parent version in the *.hpi so Jenkins cannot warn people of upgrading to a plugin that is for a newer core version than they are using.

To resolve this for your plugins you can:
a) Wait for 1.399 release, update your plugin to depend on 1.399 and run a release.
b) Checkout jenkins repo, cd plugins, edit pom.xml replacing all 1.400-SNAPSHOT with a recent release number like 1.397.  mvn install.  Make your plugin depend on that parent version and run a release.. now the plugin pom is LOCALLY edited to use the fixed maven-hpi-plugin so a release you run from this environment will work correctly.
I have been doing (b) to rerelease plugins against 1.397.

    - Alan

Ulli Hafner

Feb 25, 2011, 1:53:46 PM2/25/11
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alan,

does that mean I can also close JENKINS-8509?

Or is this bug unrelated? See comment [1].

Ulli

[1] http://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-8509?focusedCommentId=145240&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-145240

Andrew Bayer

Feb 25, 2011, 1:56:06 PM2/25/11
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Ulli Hafner
Yeah, I think that's the same problem. I rolled back the behavior in maven-hpi-plugin to how it used to be, so this should be gone.

A.

Ulli Hafner

Feb 25, 2011, 2:52:37 PM2/25/11
to Jenkins Developers
Ok, just verified that it works:-) Thanks for fixing!

BTW: isn't the following snippet in a plug-in pom sufficient?

  <build>
    <plugins>
      <plugin>
        <groupId>org.jenkins-ci.tools</groupId>
        <artifactId>maven-hpi-plugin</artifactId>
        <version>1.64</version>
        <extensions>true</extensions>
        <configuration>
          <showDeprecation>true</showDeprecation>
        </configuration>
      </plugin>
    </plugins>
  </build>

Ulli

Alan Harder

Feb 25, 2011, 4:18:41 PM2/25/11
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Yes, this should resolve JENKINS-8509.

Yes, that pom snippet works too.. I just prefer locally modifying the parent over adding something to my plugin pom I won't need later..  (and if you forget to remove it, you're locked to that version..)

    - Alan

Alan Harder

Feb 25, 2011, 8:48:42 PM2/25/11
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
One more status for affected plugins: http://jenkins.pastebin.com/4RA8X7vX

Side note: I hit http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRELEASE-318 (marked as fixed, but you can see in the last few comments that it's still broken for maven 2.x)..
Does anyone know of any improvements between maven-release-plugin 2.0-beta-9 and 2.1?  I was planning to switch to 2.1 in the 1.400 plugin parent pom, but may not do this if 2.1 just adds 1 bug..

    - Alan

Alan Harder

Mar 1, 2011, 6:59:37 PM3/1/11
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
NOTE FOR ALL PLUGIN DEVELOPERS:
Per the thread below, please don't make any plugin releases using parent version 1.393 through 1.398 unless you either modify your pom to specify maven-hpi-plugin version 1.64 or locally modify the parent pom as described in option (b) in the thread below.  If you use parent 1.399 or newer, no special changes needed.
Thanks!

Latest report on affected plugins: http://jenkins.pastebin.com/SpM4yrir

    - Alan

Alan Harder

Mar 27, 2011, 12:33:20 PM3/27/11
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi all-
Still please avoid plugin releases with these parent versions, but I've now updated the update-center build to put 1.398 as requiredCore if the version is not specified.. so Jenkins may require a newer core version than is really needed, but at least it won't let you upgrade w/o warning to a plugin release that needs a newer core than you have.

    - Alan