Fwd: [Hudson-Dev] Hudson project at Eclipse

Mykola Nikishov

May 4, 2011, 12:10:09 PM5/4/11
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for cross-post but...

WDYT?

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [Hudson-Dev] Hudson project at Eclipse
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 08:01:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ted Farrell <ted.f...@oracle.com>
To: us...@hudson.java.net, d...@hudson.java.net

All,

One of my tasks in the last couple of months was to present a proposal
for the governance model of Hudson. After looking at several options,
and talking to many customers, partners and developers about the types
of things that they were looking for from such a model, we have decided
to submit a proposal this morning to create a Hudson project at Eclipse,
and contribute all of the Hudson core code to the Eclipse Foundation
under the EPL license. As part of this proposal we will also transfer
the Hudson trademark and hudson-ci.org namespace to the Eclipse
foundation. The full proposal[1] outlines the scope and the list of
committers and supporters.

The two major goals of defining governance for Hudson were to provide
insight and a well-defined process for the development and release
process of the software, and to create an open environment where anyone
could feel comfortable participating. The Eclipse Foundation has a long
track record of high-quality standards of enterprise software
development and delivery, and we believe it aligns closely with the the
goals of the Hudson project.

As part of this proposal we are happy to announce that in addition to
the Oracle and Sonatype committers, VMware and Tasktop have added two
full-time committers and IBM and Intuit have signed up as project
supporters. We expect several others to sign up during the review
period as well. In addition, the Hudson project infrastructure will be
moved over to the Eclipse infrastructure and we will outline and discuss
plans and impact of that move in the coming weeks on the mailing lists.

This proposal will now enter a 30-day review period where we can tweak
it and the Eclipse Foundation will review the proposal and contributions
to ensure they meet the standards of the Eclipse Foundation. During
this time we welcome community feedback on the contribution to ensure
that we are addressing the most common requirements from the Hudson
community. Feedback can be provided by replying to this thread.

We already know we have some work to do in order to complete this move.
Some of the third-party software that Hudson consumes is licensed under
LGPL and will need to be swapped out before Eclipse will fully accept
the project. We plan to do this in the next several weeks and will
attempt to do so in a manner that will maintain plug-in compatibility.
This will be discussed on the Hudson mailing lists.

Additional information can also be found at the Hudson website
homepage[2], and we have setup a FAQ[3] and PR[4] to address some of the
more common questions. If after reading these documents you still have
questions, comments or concerns, please reply and let us know. We are
really excited by this proposal and think it will greatly benefit the
growth and adoption of Hudson.

-ted

[1] _http://www.eclipse.org/proposals/technology.hudson_
[2] http://www.hudson-ci.org/
[3] http://www.hudson-ci.org/eclipse/
[4] http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/393483

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

May 11, 2011, 3:07:52 AM5/11/11
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Mykola Nikishov

I think we'll discuss this in the project meeting tomorrow [1].

[1] https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Governance+Meeting+Agenda

--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi | CloudBees, Inc. | http://cloudbees.com/