[jazz_guitar] One note samba

will_halligan

Jul 1, 2007, 7:40:37 PM7/1/07
to jazz_...@yahoogroups.com
Does anybody have any ideas for a chord replacement for B7b5 in the
following progression in the "One note samba"?

Dm7 - Db7 – Cm7 – B7b5, I realise that the B7b5 is to fit to the "F" in
the single note melody but I would like to find an alternative to that
chord.

Many thanks,

Will

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:jazz_guit...@yahoogroups.com
mailto:jazz_guitar-...@yahoogroups.com

jazz_guitar...@yahoogroups.com

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Rick_Poll

Jul 1, 2007, 8:07:21 PM7/1/07
to jazz_...@yahoogroups.com
Not for just one chord, but in playing around with it, I came up with
this ...

Oh, btw, some of these stretch your ear a bit, but after a while they
may sound good to you.

x5356x

x4326x to x4346x (two chords to replace the Db7)

x3336x

2x666x

OR

5x556x

4x446x

3x336x OR 3x436x

2x666 0Rr 2x436c

Or, using my favorite trick for reharm ... transpose it down a half
step and use open strings.

OX445X OR OX455X`

OX345X

OX235X

OXO11O OR OX125X OR OX225X OR OX325X (this last one is my fave).

Rick_Poll

Jul 1, 2007, 9:03:12 PM7/1/07
to jazz_...@yahoogroups.com
One other thing ...

I have no idea what to call these chords. My approch is start with one
that sounds good, and then pay attention to voice leading and sound as
the progression moves.

Let the journalists figure out what to call them after they've
transcribed your voicings for a magazine article.

Rick

Ronald Murray

Jul 1, 2007, 10:19:44 PM7/1/07
to jazz_...@yahoogroups.com
well, it's a sub for F7, as Db7 is a sub for G7. Very early versions
I have heard used a Bbmaj7 for the first chord rather than Dm7. what
is the problem with the B7b5? Have you tried a 9th in it? Anyway,
utilizing the notes of the non-sub dom7s yields a nice "outside"
flavor, ironically.

On Jul 1, 2007, at 7:40 PM, will_halligan wrote:

> Does anybody have any ideas for a chord replacement for B7b5 in the
> following progression in the "One note samba"?
>
> Dm7 - Db7 – Cm7 – B7b5, I realise that the B7b5 is to fit to the
> "F" in
> the single note melody but I would like to find an alternative to that
> chord.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Will
>

> Messages in this topic (1)Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
> Messages | Links

> Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch
> format to Traditional
> Recent Activity
> 14
> New Members
> Visit Your Group
> Jazz guitar
> Jazz music
> Guitar music
> Jazz guitarists
> Jazz guitar lesson
> Yahoo! News
> Fashion News
>
> What's the word on
>
> fashion and style?
>
> Yahoo! TV
> Want the scoop?
>
> Check out today's
>
> news and gossip.
>
> Yahoo! Groups
> Moderator Central
>
> Connecting a world
>
> of moderators

will_halligan

Jul 2, 2007, 6:22:53 AM7/2/07
to jazz_...@yahoogroups.com
Thanks guys for the responses.

My reason for wanting to replace the B7b5 is simply fingering, later on
going from the Cm7b5 to the B7b5 is a little tricky to do quickly (for
me anyway.)

Actually if I do the same thing on a classical I find the rhythm and
and fingering no problem at all. Problem is that later on in the number
we swap solos so I would have to take my solo on the classical as well -
perhaps it would be a good learning experience for me!

Will