Python Posse ;-)

1 view

Van Riper

Apr 8, 2008, 4:09:42 AM4/8/08
to java...@googlegroups.com
I was at the Google CampFire One event tonight where they launched
Google App Engine:

http://code.google.com/appengine/

Dick Wall was there too. I learned that he is going to be spending
most of his time as a developer advocate for App Engine. The
interesting thing is the only supported runtime initially will be
Python. Thus, my message subject. Please tell us Dick that Java is
high on the list of runtimes that support will be added for in the
near future. In the mean time, I'll have to learn Python. I was
waiting for a good excuse to do that anyway. :-)

-Van

--
----
----
| Silicon Valley Google Technology User Group
| mailto:van....@gmail.com
| http://sv-gtug.org

Michael Neale

Apr 8, 2008, 5:42:56 AM4/8/08
to The Java Posse
So Carl is the only member of the posse who has anything to do with
java day to day ;)

well, maybe Tor a little ;)

On Apr 8, 6:09 pm, "Van Riper" <van.ri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was at the Google CampFire One event tonight where they launched
> Google App Engine:
>
> http://code.google.com/appengine/
>
> Dick Wall was there too. I learned that he is going to be spending
> most of his time as a developer advocate for App Engine. The
> interesting thing is the only supported runtime initially will be
> Python. Thus, my message subject. Please tell us Dick that Java is
> high on the list of runtimes that support will be added for in the
> near future. In the mean time, I'll have to learn Python. I was
> waiting for a good excuse to do that anyway. :-)
>
> -Van
>
> --
> | Michael "Van" Riper
> |http://weblogs.java.net/blog/van_riper/
> |http://www.linkedin.com/in/vanriper
> ----
> | Silicon Valley Web Developer JUG
> | mailto:van_ri...@dev.java.net
> |https://sv-web-jug.dev.java.net
> ----
> | Silicon Valley Google Technology User Group
> | mailto:van.g...@gmail.com
> |http://sv-gtug.org

Casper Bang

Apr 8, 2008, 6:10:41 AM4/8/08
to The Java Posse
I thought Dick was Android evangelist - though I did wonder why we
never hear anything about it?!

/Casper

Dick Wall

Apr 8, 2008, 11:48:33 AM4/8/08
to The Java Posse
Need to put the record straight on a couple of things...

I am primarily working on Google App Engine right now, but that is
because it has just launched, and launching products are very
needy :-). I am also an Android evangelist and there is a reason I
can't say more about this, but I can't tell you what that reason
is :-). Hopefully it will change soon. As time goes on, Google App
Engine will not be my primary project but will share my time with the
others, and I still work with Java a lot in my day to day :-).

Tor still works with Java every single day too. NetBeans is still
written in Java, even if he is working on support for other languages.
Believe me, there is plenty of Java activity to go around between the
four of us.

Cheers

Dick

Viktor Klang

Apr 8, 2008, 11:53:35 AM4/8/08
to java...@googlegroups.com
A Scalaposse would be awesome *hinthint*
--
Viktor Klang
Rogue Software Architect

Michael Neale

Apr 8, 2008, 6:28:39 PM4/8/08
to The Java Posse
yes !

Personally I am mostly interested in the JVM and its future, but yes
there is plenty going on. I was poking fun.
And I do love python too.

Boris Pavlovic

Apr 9, 2008, 3:52:33 AM4/9/08
to java...@googlegroups.com
I love listening to these four guys chatting and having some fun even if they don't stick to Java and closely related stuff. Their insight of the industry, programming and simple being nice is invaluable

Go on please

p.s. it would be nice to be able to use Java in google app engine. Hosting Java apps aimed for prototyping, learning or collaborating in early stages of development is too expencive

Dick Wall

Apr 9, 2008, 11:56:31 AM4/9/08
to The Java Posse
If you would like to see a Java version of the Google App Engine, you
should make your opinion count, literally. You can make your presence
felt if you like by heading over to the issues at
http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/list , finding the
"please add java or groovy support" issue, and adding your star to it.
Yes - I know this is a crazy hidden place to put it and I have
mentioned that, but right now it is the way to give feedback (also,
vote for other issues you feel to be important, or add your own).

Cheers

Dick

On Apr 9, 12:52 am, "Boris Pavlovic" <borispavlo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I love listening to these four guys chatting and having some fun even if
> they don't stick to Java and closely related stuff. Their insight of the
> industry, programming and simple being nice is invaluable
>
> Go on please
>
> p.s. it would be nice to be able to use Java in google app engine. Hosting
> Java apps aimed for prototyping, learning or collaborating in early stages
> of development is too expencive

Christian Catchpole

Apr 9, 2008, 5:54:39 PM4/9/08
to The Java Posse
What do we think is the reasoning for a Python app engine?

- most people are likely to write in Python?
- is it lightweight and easy to sand-box?

Google hosts so much of my stuff now and its awesome. I'd love them
to host Java but I'm wondering what the technical limitations of them
doing this. ISPs always avoided Java hosting because it was always a
bit curly. In regards to configuration and sand-boxing.

Bo Fussing

Apr 9, 2008, 2:33:37 AM4/9/08
to The Java Posse
Hmm - just reading between the lines here. As Dick is both a Google
App Engine and Android evangelist perhaps:

1) A version of the Android engine is coming to the Google App Engine
to complement the current Python environment
2) Extensions to the Google App Engine are coming that will dovetail
nicely with the Android mobile development environment

One of the limitations of the Google App Engine seems to be that it
only supports single threaded CGI scripts - AFAIK Java would not work
in such an environment and Android might be a better fit?

Just my 2 Cents,
Bo

Casper Bang

Apr 9, 2008, 6:39:53 PM4/9/08
to The Java Posse
> What do we think is the reasoning for a Python app engine?

Well it's very much in touch with Google's typical KISS perspective so
I think you are right about your guesses. A few Java app servers will
happily eat away many GB of RAM yet eventually throw PermGenSpace
errors if one deploys too often.

> A version of the Android engine is coming to the Google App Engine

Apart from the fact that its interpreting, the Dalvik engine does come
to mind. But... you'd be at odds pretty fast in Java (and existing
frameworks) without custom class loaders and threads, no?

/Casper

Scot

Apr 10, 2008, 8:21:52 AM4/10/08
to The Java Posse

On Apr 9, 10:54 pm, Christian Catchpole <christ...@catchpole.net>
wrote:
> What do we think is the reasoning for a Python app engine?

Isn't Blogger a Python app? I can't help but wonder if App Engine is a
cut down version of what Blogger is built on.

Van Riper

Apr 10, 2008, 2:23:08 PM4/10/08
to java...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 8:56 AM, Dick Wall <dick...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you would like to see a Java version of the Google App Engine, you
> should make your opinion count, literally. You can make your presence
> felt if you like by heading over to the issues at
> http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/list , finding the
> "please add java or groovy support" issue, and adding your star to it.

Please do *not* add a "+1" comment to this issue like many others have
already done. All that is really necessary is to star the issue.
Comments are intended to provide more information or to actually
discuss the issue. Plus, everyone that stars an issue sees these
comments. So, it ends up generating essentially spam email for
everyone that has starred the issue. We don't want to penalize people
by spamming them for showing their support for this issue.

To be honest, I made this mistake myself. I have since learned the
error of my ways after receiving about 50 "+1" comments in the past 24
hours after I starred it myself. :-)

Cheers, Van

--

----
| Silicon Valley Google Technology User Group

| mailto:van....@gmail.com
| http://sv-gtug.org

Van Riper

Apr 12, 2008, 6:03:40 PM4/12/08
to java...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Van Riper <van....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 8:56 AM, Dick Wall <dick...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > If you would like to see a Java version of the Google App Engine, you
> > should make your opinion count, literally. You can make your presence
> > felt if you like by heading over to the issues at
> > http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/list , finding the
> > "please add java or groovy support" issue, and adding your star to it.
>
> Please do *not* add a "+1" comment to this issue like many others have
> already done. All that is really necessary is to star the issue.
> Comments are intended to provide more information or to actually
> discuss the issue. Plus, everyone that stars an issue sees these
> comments. So, it ends up generating essentially spam email for
> everyone that has starred the issue. We don't want to penalize people
> by spamming them for showing their support for this issue.

Issues sorted in descending order by number of stars shows Java as the
top star getter with 896 stars:

1 Feature New Medium 896 ---- please add java or groovy support
29 Feature New Medium 741 ---- Please add
ruby support
13 Feature New Medium 611 ---- PHP support
is a must
34 Feature New Medium 563 ---- Add Perl support

I just found out after I blogged about this here:

http://weblogs.java.net/blog/van_riper/archive/2008/04/google_app_engi_1.html

That Rick Ross at JavaLobby also blogged about it after reading my blog post:

http://java.dzone.com/news/star-tell-google-you-want-java

He contacted me personally via email to thank me for my post which I
thought was pretty nice of him.

CKoerner

Apr 13, 2008, 11:11:55 AM4/13/08
to The Java Posse
I seriously doubt Google is picking the next language by feedback.
They might consider it but its probably .1% of the reasoning. They'll
choose the next language based on how easy it is to implement and fit
into the GAE infrastructure. I'd prefer Ruby but given its challenge
of deployment I doubt it'll be next. Whatever is the easiest for them
to implement and support will be the next one.

Van Riper

Apr 13, 2008, 11:57:13 AM4/13/08
to java...@googlegroups.com

I'm not sure I would go that far. ".1%" is a pretty small weighting
for the feedback. However, I do agree with you that implementation
issues will probably play a bigger role in the order they roll out
additional runtimes. Still, I want Java to beat Ruby and all the
others anyway in the App Engine Runtime Idol competition. :-P

Tom Copeland

Apr 14, 2008, 7:19:12 AM4/14/08
to java...@googlegroups.com

On Sun, 2008-04-13 at 08:11 -0700, CKoerner wrote:
> I seriously doubt Google is picking the next language by feedback.
> They might consider it but its probably .1% of the reasoning. They'll
> choose the next language based on how easy it is to implement and fit
> into the GAE infrastructure. I'd prefer Ruby but given its challenge
> of deployment I doubt it'll be next.

I wonder if Rails deployment just got quite a bit easier:

http://modrails.com/

But I agree... the current Rails deployment with its mongrel clusters
and pid watchers and monit and such is a major pain.

Yours,

Tom