AB5K Name Suggestion

Craig_Dean

Apr 6, 2007, 5:15:10 AM4/6/07
to The Java Posse
How about EnGauge?

Craig_Dean

Apr 6, 2007, 5:19:59 AM4/6/07
to The Java Posse
That is actually taken...InGuage is another possibility.

On Apr 6, 4:15 am, "Craig_Dean" <craig.lava...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How about EnGauge?

Craig_Dean

Apr 6, 2007, 5:47:30 AM4/6/07
to The Java Posse
Jamshid -- a cup of jamshid ,in ancient persia, was used by wizards
and practitioners of the esoteric sciences for observing all the seven
layers of the universe

Craig_Dean

Apr 6, 2007, 6:07:19 AM4/6/07
to The Java Posse
Engauge Scry Platform or E.S.P.
Engauge Scrybuilder Platform etc.etc.

Jason

Apr 6, 2007, 6:11:51 AM4/6/07
to The Java Posse
Animated widgets = Fidgets!

remco

Apr 6, 2007, 1:20:03 PM4/6/07
to The Java Posse
how about shades
it means a lot of things it is for example slang for SUNglasses it
also makes a nice icon!

DouglasDD

Apr 6, 2007, 1:47:50 PM4/6/07
to The Java Posse
In an astronomy genre: "Apohele"
- a class of asteroids whose orbit is entirely inside that of the
Earth.
- the Hawaiian word for orbit.

./ddd

Jason

Apr 6, 2007, 9:43:54 PM4/6/07
to The Java Posse
remco ... SUNglasses ... brilliant!

xelipe

Apr 7, 2007, 12:01:18 AM4/7/07
to The Java Posse
I lik fidgets... But just to continue the applet, servlet naming
convetion how about widgelet, or scriptlet, or swinglet, or whatever.
I also like hyphy because that is just how I do it.

Curt Cox

Apr 7, 2007, 12:15:51 AM4/7/07
to java...@googlegroups.com
thingamajig

noun dohickey, dojigger, doodad, doohickey, gimmick, hickey, gizmo,
gismo, gubbins, thingamabob, thingumabob, thingmabob, thingamajig,
thingumajig, thingmajig, thingummy
something whose name is either forgotten or not known

http://www.wordreference.com/definition/thingamajig

Joshua Marinacci

Apr 7, 2007, 1:22:37 AM4/7/07
to java...@googlegroups.com
And so we can see how difficult this is. :)

We need to find a name that has a good metaphor, has an available domain name, isn't trademarked, and will somewhat make sense in languages other than english.   I've found that the leading for widget systems don't name their widget system at all. They are simply <company name> widgets/gadgets. No new branding and not much of an attempt to use a new word like magnet or sprocket (some of the terms we are considering).  So I'm torn. Still looking for ideas. Please keep suggesting them.

Incidentally the actual API for AB5k uses the class Desklet since it's like an Applet on your desktop.

Thanks,
Josh
- Blasting forth in three part harmony!

Jason

Apr 7, 2007, 5:30:03 AM4/7/07
to The Java Posse
Hmm ... that makes it a little tricker. Some random thoughts for now.

- Toybox.
- Pilot (in the nautical sense of navigation and assistance).
- Port/Harbour.

Jason

Craig_Dean

Apr 7, 2007, 11:38:00 AM4/7/07
to The Java Posse
"We need to find a name that has a good metaphor" --since most widgets
seem to be geared on monitoring some outside event;weather, stocks,
news site stories and the like, I think Jamshid "was used by wizards

and practitioners of the esoteric sciences for observing all the seven
layers of the universe." is appropriate. It is an unusual enough name
not to be encumbered with trademarks. The .com domain also seems to
be available.
"will somewhat make sense in languages other than english." It
certainaly makes sense in Persian! Of course, it's main weakness is
not having a crystal clear meaning in English although I think it is
an interesting enough backstory that I think it can be remembered.
(BTW I am a midwestern guy so I have no cultural bias towards a
persian word, I just want the book!) The backstory would also make
for an interesting segway at a presentation. If you wanted to carry
the metaphor further you could even call individual widgets cups or
cups of Jamshid. Just wanted to clarify my thinking, especially why
all of my suggestions have a clairvoyant angle. Hope you find a pick
a good one and just don't go with <company name here> widgets. So
forgettable.

Craig

joel.neely

Apr 8, 2007, 7:55:28 AM4/8/07
to The Java Posse
Hey, Josh (and Posse)!

Rats! I was going to suggest "Desklets". As well as "Javalets".

In a different direction,
"HeadsUp" obliquely referencing Desktop,
"Frobs" for the jargon-literate,
"Doodads" for the civilians,
"Blivet" because some people thought it impossible,
"Possibles" for those who've seen Jeremiah Johnson,
"Possibilities" because of the unlimited number of,
"Acorns" for little oak things (perhaps only the old-time Java types
would get it),
"Seeds" for planting ideas,
"Toolshed" for collection of small useful things,
"JUST" for Java's Useful Small Things,
"JRAT" for Josh and Roberts Awesome Tools (sorry, Robert, but RJAT
isn't pronounceable!),
"JKit" for Java-based toolkit,
"Drawer" for the place in the kitchen where the sharp pointy things
are,
"DeskBeans" to stay with the JavaBeans, EJB, NetBeans family theme,
and
"NyaaNyaNyaNyaaNyaa" for the obvious reason that you showed 'em.

-jn-

ranjith

Apr 8, 2007, 10:53:30 PM4/8/07
to The Java Posse
"WidgeZen"?

ranjith

Apr 9, 2007, 7:59:46 AM4/9/07
to The Java Posse
Hmm... I meant "WidgetZen"

On Apr 8, 10:53 pm, "ranjith" <sen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "WidgeZen"?

Roman Strobl

Apr 9, 2007, 10:45:30 AM4/9/07
to java...@googlegroups.com
How about Jidgets? :)

-Roman

Kevin Wong

Apr 9, 2007, 12:00:05 PM4/9/07
to The Java Posse
HUD - head's up display

TBT

Apr 9, 2007, 2:51:05 PM4/9/07
to The Java Posse
How about

WigWelt

or

wigwelt

Welt means 'world' in German

Craig_Dean

Apr 9, 2007, 3:08:23 PM4/9/07
to The Java Posse
Nice: HUDlets?

kebernet

Apr 9, 2007, 5:02:58 PM4/9/07
to The Java Posse
I am partical to "Bijaz" or "Biscotti" myself.

Jason

Apr 9, 2007, 7:46:31 PM4/9/07
to The Java Posse
Having downloaded and run AB5k, I think I now understand its purpose
better.

To me it is a collection of productivity tools (and perhaps
unproductive ones too ... at least the one I'm writing).

With this in mind, I throw in a few more names:

- Roustabout - Usually referred to as an unskilled labour, but can
also mean a service worker. Has a Posse feel to it, but perhaps
culturally a little narrow.
- Artificer - A skillful or artistic worker.
- Dogsbody.
- Lackey.
- Desk Jockey.

Cheers,
Jason

Boris Pavlovic

Apr 10, 2007, 9:19:05 AM4/10/07
to java...@googlegroups.com
has anyone suggested 'cockpit'?

Jay Quiambao

Apr 10, 2007, 10:10:49 AM4/10/07
to java...@googlegroups.com
Here's my stab at it.

ParkingLot - where you park your widgets.
Fridge - where you would put your "Magnets".
F-One - but you have to press F9 to make it appear. (since F1 is being used by windows help)
FastTrack, QuickDash, LookOut, FAT - fast access tools
BeltBag, Picnic, OmniBoxQuickView

I should get a book for effort haha.. :)

On 04 6, 07, at 5:15 PM, Craig_Dean wrote:

How about EnGauge?

Abhishek

Apr 10, 2007, 1:23:48 PM4/10/07
to The Java Posse
EnGauge is similar to the name of a gaming phone model by Nokia..

Tim

Apr 10, 2007, 2:17:18 PM4/10/07
to The Java Posse
What about "Jockpit"?

Joshua Marinacci

Apr 10, 2007, 6:29:56 PM4/10/07
to java...@googlegroups.com
To all of our non-english-native speakers:  how are english only project/company names perceived in your country?  Would something like magnet factory or corkboard be too hard to understand?  I'm speaking of this from a consumer standpoint, not as a developer.  What about widespread non-english words like 'biscotti'?

Thanks,
Josh

Ryan Thomas

Apr 10, 2007, 6:46:13 PM4/10/07
to java...@googlegroups.com
How about 'WorldWatcher' as in Widget the World Watcher - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widget_(TV_series)

--ryan

Alexey Zinger

Apr 10, 2007, 6:58:53 PM4/10/07
to java...@googlegroups.com
Ooo, that's interesting.  I have my own twist on it though: Watchtower.

Ryan Thomas <r.n.t...@gmail.com> wrote:

in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel
to find your fit.

Jason Rudolph

Apr 10, 2007, 9:11:21 PM4/10/07
to The Java Posse
How about JaDE (for Java Desklet Engine)? It would be pronounced just
like the stone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jade), and you could
incorporate some sort of tagline that ties into how desklets/widgets/
gadgets "decorate" your workspace. Or you could say something akin to
the fact that each mini-app (i.e., desklet) is a "gem" that adorns
your workspace. Cheesy? Cool? Sound off.

Cheers,
Jason

grydholt

Apr 11, 2007, 1:33:54 AM4/11/07
to The Java Posse
My suggestion is

Deskterre - the land where desklets live. And it makes me think of
dexterity as well.

remco

Apr 11, 2007, 5:44:58 AM4/11/07
to The Java Posse
I think that most people (except the French) understand that English
is the lingua franca of the internet .

dojo

Apr 11, 2007, 6:19:17 AM4/11/07
to The Java Posse
Jibits?

Ryan Thomas

Apr 11, 2007, 6:29:01 AM4/11/07
to java...@googlegroups.com
Jiblets?

Or: Washboard - Like W[idget] [D]ashboard

hmmm... there needs to be a 'J' in there somewhere though...

--ryan

On 4/11/07, dojo <zub...@googlemail.com> wrote:

Jibits?

Enk

Apr 11, 2007, 8:37:18 AM4/11/07
to The Java Posse
Too bad the domain name is in use, I'd go for dewdrops

BoD

Apr 11, 2007, 11:11:09 AM4/11/07
to java...@googlegroups.com
What about "JGadgets" or "JWidgets"?

By the way (I'm sorry as this is probably not the best channel for a
request) AB5K currently has one limitation that refrains me from using
it: it can't be a "docked" sidebar (to my knowledge). I know this cannot
be done using standard Swing but is this something that could be done
one day, using native bits?
Thanks!

BoD

Joshua Marinacci

Apr 11, 2007, 11:22:18 AM4/11/07
to java...@googlegroups.com
Yes. we want to have AB5k be properly docked using native apis. Any references to which APIs those are for any platform would be greatly appreciated. I know how to do the JNI calls but I need to know what apis to call.

Thanks,
Josh

Danno

Apr 11, 2007, 4:42:49 PM4/11/07
to The Java Posse

On Apr 6, 3:15 am, "Craig_Dean" <craig.lava...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How about EnGauge?

How about Ellington?

1. You can use Duke as the logo on a piano
2. Too many tech/space/geek names for project; a jazz category may be
a nice change
3. Duke Ellington made jazz look good, refined, and high class, and
that reflects your project.

stefan

Apr 11, 2007, 6:08:41 PM4/11/07
to The Java Posse
Here is another one: JaWii. It is not taken by any software product
and it could be short of JavaWidgets.

Not sure if Nintendo will object.

Ryan Thomas

Apr 11, 2007, 6:20:09 PM4/11/07
to java...@googlegroups.com
Ok, another one...

Jawesome - It has a J in it and it's awesome!

Also, Urban Dictionary defines Jawesome as That of which exceeds anything that would normally be considered only awesome.

Ged Byrne

Apr 12, 2007, 9:52:17 AM4/12/07
to The Java Posse
Head Sup

Here in the UK to sup is to drink a beverage: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sup

Soe Head Sup could refer to a smart way to consume java.

On Apr 8, 12:55 pm, "joel.neely" <joel.ne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey, Josh (and Posse)!
>
> Rats! I was going to suggest "Desklets". As well as "Javalets".
>
> In a different direction,
> "HeadsUp" obliquely referencing Desktop,

BoD

Apr 18, 2007, 10:20:00 AM4/18/07
to java...@googlegroups.com
There is https://jdic.dev.java.net/incubator/floating-dock/index.html
but works only for Linux and Solaris SPARC apparently.

BoD

Jon Stockdill

Apr 19, 2007, 5:17:38 PM4/19/07
to java...@googlegroups.com
swinglets or swingers, kinda goes with the cross-platform mantra.

On 4/8/07, joel.neely <joel....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey, Josh (and Posse)!
>
> Rats! I was going to suggest "Desklets". As well as "Javalets".
>
> In a different direction,
> "HeadsUp" obliquely referencing Desktop,

> "Frobs" for the jargon-literate,
> "Doodads" for the civilians,
> "Blivet" because some people thought it impossible,
> "Possibles" for those who've seen Jeremiah Johnson,
> "Possibilities" because of the unlimited number of,
> "Acorns" for little oak things (perhaps only the old-time Java types
> would get it),
> "Seeds" for planting ideas,
> "Toolshed" for collection of small useful things,
> "JUST" for Java's Useful Small Things,
> "JRAT" for Josh and Roberts Awesome Tools (sorry, Robert, but RJAT
> isn't pronounceable!),
> "JKit" for Java-based toolkit,
> "Drawer" for the place in the kitchen where the sharp pointy things
> are,
> "DeskBeans" to stay with the JavaBeans, EJB, NetBeans family theme,
> and
> "NyaaNyaNyaNyaaNyaa" for the obvious reason that you showed 'em.
>
> -jn-
>
> On Apr 7, 12:22 am, Joshua Marinacci <jos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Incidentally the actual API for AB5k uses the class Desklet since
> > it's like an Applet on your desktop.

Curt Cox

Apr 19, 2007, 5:23:44 PM4/19/07
to java...@googlegroups.com
Along the lines of Watchtower:

Mission Control
Houston

zendar

Apr 19, 2007, 7:37:14 PM4/19/07
to The Java Posse
Howabout Javanubs? It's easy pronounce, spell, and remember. The
domain for this isn't taken either. And javanubs actually returns
nothing on google right now ;-)

-R

BoD

Apr 20, 2007, 11:30:25 AM4/20/07
to java...@googlegroups.com, jos...@gmail.com
There is this page that goes in details about the native calls to make
on Windows.
=>
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t134217-docking-a-java-application-to-the-desktop.html

Hope it can help :)

BoD

(CCing to your email, cause I'm not sure you're still monitoring this
thread :)

Christian Catchpole

Apr 21, 2007, 1:04:55 AM4/21/07
to The Java Posse

On Apr 6, 7:47 pm, "Craig_Dean" <craig.lava...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jamshid -- a cup of jamshid ,in ancient persia, was used by wizards
> and practitioners of the esoteric sciences for observing all the seven
> layers of the universe

Unfortunately Java is currently only able to support six layers of the
universe. That is without the use of JNI or something else like Pan-
dimensional Sockets or the Worm Hole Invocation Layer. I believe
there is a JSR to allow access to the last layer. ISO are also
thinking of implementing some new layers.