Netbeans UML plugin status ?

Jan Goyvaerts

Nov 30, 2009, 3:29:53 AM11/30/09
to java...@googlegroups.com
Hello Java people,

Does anybody in here knows what the plans are for the uml plugin of netbea

I'm a fervent user of the UML plugin for netbeans. Now that's I've installed Netbeans 6.8 I'm looking to install it.

Does

Jan Goyvaerts

Nov 30, 2009, 3:33:17 AM11/30/09
to java...@googlegroups.com
(please disregard my previous message... pressed by accident on the tab key again...)

Hello Java people,

Does anybody in here knows what the plans are for the uml plugin of netbeans ? I'm trying to install it on netbeans 6.8 but that's not working. And I've got the impression it's not exactly active these days...

I really hope it's going to be released for as long as Netbeans'll around.

Jan

Jan Goyvaerts

Dec 3, 2009, 3:31:03 AM12/3/09
to java...@googlegroups.com
figures... not very active apparently. :-(  A pity really because it's a great product.

Tim Davenport

Dec 11, 2009, 8:59:11 AM12/11/09
to The Java Posse
Unfortunatly SOA, UML and Visual Web plugins are unfunded and will not
be released going forward,
The conspiracy theorist in me knows that the free SUN, SOA especially,
solution were as good or better than the Oracle offerings which cost
100's of thousands of dollars to license in production.
The take over of SUN by Oracle has reduced the competition in the
market, not a good situation and I ask the question
Why would Oracle fund open source projects that compete with their pay
for products??

RIP Sun!!
RIP Netbeans!

On Dec 3, 6:31 pm, Jan Goyvaerts <java.arti...@gmail.com> wrote:
> figures... not very active apparently. :-(  A pity really because it's a
> great product.

Reinier Zwitserloot

Dec 11, 2009, 4:30:35 PM12/11/09
to The Java Posse
Jesus, Tim. I just finished yelling at some other paranoid nutcase for
blaming this on sun/oracle. Sit down, and listen.

Oracle hasn't bought sun YET. The SEC would get rather extremely
concerned if oracle has already been telling sun to deep-six a bunch
of FOSS competition, and has apparently done so a while ago, because
stuff like this doesn't happen overnight. Also, considering that
oracle can't get their hands on sun until the EU clears it, and if
there's any hint of official communication by oracle to sun to kill
off FOSS-based competition to oracle projects, well, think about it.

THEY WOULD BE SUNK.

The EU would sit there, smugly say: Ha! Told you so, veto to the deal,
and make clear no amount of political pressure is going to change this
answer. This, or even an investigation if that happened, would cost
oracle hundreds of millions of dollars. Most assuredly more than
whatever sales oracle would lose in the few months that it'll take for
the oracle/sun deal to go through now, at which point they can axe
whatever projects they want.

So, no, oracle did not sabotage SOA, UML, and the visual web plugins.
Duh.

Secondly, these plugins did exist, and they are open source. If there
is truly such financial benefit in these products, then why, exactly,
aren't the businesses that rely on them putting in some funds and a
programmer or two to maintain these plugins? All they'd have to do is
maintain existing code. It's not as bad as having to start from
scratch. A post on the netbeans forum (check other thread for link)
clearly shows that if anybody else puts in the effort of maintaining
these plugins, odds are they'll find a place in the master
distributions, or at the very least, they'd get whatever help they
needed from Team Netbeans. Team Netbeans has also been adding J2EE6
support to netbeans, which i'm sure competes with oracle stuff as
well. The fact that you cannot see that this ISNT some sort of
powerplay is mind boggling to me.

rastrano

Dec 16, 2009, 6:46:22 AM12/16/09
to The Java Posse
from

http://netbeans.org/features/uml/index.html

"(NetBeans UML Plugin
The NetBeans UML plugin is available from the Plugin Manager (Tools >
Plugins).)"

really?

Fabrizio Giudici

Dec 16, 2009, 8:46:22 AM12/16/09
to java...@googlegroups.com
Reinier Zwitserloot wrote:
> Jesus, Tim. I just finished yelling at some other paranoid nutcase for
> blaming this on sun/oracle. Sit down, and listen.
>
> Oracle hasn't bought sun YET. ** etc... **

+1

Not only the commitment of Sun about NetBeans hasn't changed, but for
the first time there has been a public statement about the commitment on
the Platform:

http://blogs.sun.com/jpblog/entry/netbeans_6_8_and_the

This is a relevant change in Sun's attitude from the latest months, as
the community has been blaming Sun for years for his lack of push of the
Platform product. Of course, there's the massive personnel layout and
the lack of funds that are constraining many activities. But I see that
the Sun management is still fighting as much as they can do for their
products. Of course, nobody knows about what Oracle will do -
fortunately, the EU stall seems to be coming to an end and I suppose we
won't be waiting too much longer.

Tim, people should express their opinion frankly, as you did. But people
should be aware that they have a bit (ok, each one a tiny bit of course)
of power to influence things. We're all sad for some parts of our
beloved technologies to be dropped or frozen, but if the whole community
attitude got so pessimistic to consider NetBeans (or whatever else) a
dead product, that would be the best way to persuade the Oracle
management to really drop it. Instead, we should make it clear that we
are using it and that *we want* to keep using it.

--
Fabrizio Giudici - Java Architect, Project Manager
Tidalwave s.a.s. - "We make Java work. Everywhere."

Jan Goyvaerts

Dec 16, 2009, 9:33:48 AM12/16/09
to java...@googlegroups.com
ah ! Good news they decided to include it after all. But I do not (yet) have it in the plugins either.

Jan Goyvaerts

Dec 16, 2009, 12:33:36 PM12/16/09
to java...@googlegroups.com
Is it possible it is the default page with a new banner on top ? The window title in the screenshot is "Netbeans 6.5".

Jan Goyvaerts

Jan 5, 2010, 9:10:31 AM1/5/10
to java...@googlegroups.com
Looks like adding http://deadlock.netbeans.org/hudson/job/nbms-and-javadoc/lastStableBuild/artifact/nbbuild/nbms/updates.xml.gz might actually bring back uml, vsf and soa. Not tried it yet though...