episode 193: Eclipse crashing under 64 bit Linux

Robert Eccardt

Jun 21, 2008, 3:16:54 PM6/21/08
to The Java Posse
I think I have the solution for Paul from the Netherlands. I am
running 64 bit Linux, Sun Java 6 64 bit , and Eclipse 3.3.2 64 bit
version.

Eclipse would crash constantly, seemly at random. On one occasion, I
had launched Eclipse from the command line and the error message I got
back, java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space, gave me the answer.
I added the following line to eclipse.ini (it's in the Eclipse base
directory):

-XX:MaxPermSize=512m

It has run flawlessly ever since.

Robert Eccardt

Jun 21, 2008, 4:04:30 PM6/21/08
to The Java Posse

Markus Gaisbauer

Jun 27, 2008, 5:22:36 AM6/27/08
to The Java Posse
Has anyone already tried out Eclipse 3.4 on 32-bit Java on 64-bit
Ubuntu? Do I need the 64-bit or the 32-bit version of Eclipse for
doing so?

phidias51

Jun 30, 2008, 7:42:10 PM6/30/08
to The Java Posse
Markus,
I run Eclipse 3.4 (64-bit) on 64-bit Java and Ubuntu Hardy Heron (64-
bit). It was crashing pretty consistently for a while (more about
that here: http://www.jroller.com/page/phidias/?anchor=hardy_heron_eclipse_woes
and here: http://www.jroller.com/page/phidias/?anchor=hardy_heron_eclipse_update)
until I added this to the eclipse.ini file:

-XX:CompileCommand=exclude,org/eclipse/core/internal/dtree/
DataTreeNode,forwardDeltaWith

I had tried the MaxPermSize trick but that didn't solve this problem.

The main problem with most of these types of crashes is that eclipse
spits out a log file that includes references to native code where the
problem is occurring. The file's a little difficult to read, but
there's usually some indication in the file as to what the problem
is.

Mark

rob_mazur

Jul 8, 2008, 12:07:45 PM7/8/08
to The Java Posse
> Eclipse would crash constantly, seemly at random. On one occasion, I
> had launched Eclipse from the command line and the error message I got
> back, java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space, gave me the answer.
> I added the following line to eclipse.ini (it's in the Eclipse base
> directory):
>
> -XX:MaxPermSize=512m
>
> It has run flawlessly ever since.

Ya, I tried that as well, but it didn't solve my crashes. Wish I had
tried phidias51's suggestion...because after days and days of
wrestling, I dropped back to 32-bit openSuSE 10.3 on my 64-bit AMD
just so I could get some work done.

Rob

Markus Gaisbauer

Jul 18, 2008, 9:22:22 AM7/18/08
to The Java Posse
I have now run tried running Eclipse 3.4 (32-bit) on 32-bit Java and
64-bit Ubuntu (8.04). Everything seems to be fine so far. I run the 32-
bit version in order to save some memory for other processes.