Community Naming Process for Jasig-Sakai Merged Organization

Josh Baron

Oct 31, 2011, 12:00:20 PM10/31/11
to jasig-sakai-...@googlegroups.com, Announcements Sakai
Community Naming Process for Merged Organization

What’s in a name? We want you to be involved! (and you and your team could win an iPod Nano!)

Jasig and Sakai are coming together to create a new organization that will support open source projects and practices in higher education. The new organisation will have a strong emphasis on existing software communities, and existing project brands. Names such as Sakai and uPortal won’t go away, they will remain an essential element of reaching constituents old and new. We are iteratively developing a shared value document describing the benefits of the merger which we believe will be of use to those considering suitable names. “The Value of a Common Foundation” document is available at: http://www.sakaiproject.org/sites/default/files/CommonFoundationValue1-1.pdf

We invite you to get involved in the process. We want to draw on the strengths of our communities to create a name that will last, and communicate our culture and our values.  A name that is unique and easy to remember. We’d also like to hear the explanation, or back story, behind your name suggestion.  The following are suggestions of how you may create a name:

(1) Engage your faculty and students, especially in business schools and courses associated with the creative industries. “The Value of a Common Foundation” document could act as a brief for student or staff engagement.
(2) Engage your institutional marketing team.
(3) Engage your colleagues.

If you decide to get involved we would recommend that you review basic principles for naming (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_naming) and also keep in mind the following:

(1) It should be something people can say and spell fairly easily, even in different languages
(2) We don’t want to be confused with other existing organizations or products
(3) We are an international organization and thus are particularly interested in non-US/English Language centric names
(4) You may find it useful to read a bit about branding and mergers, one good source is: http://www.mergerbranding.com/articles/2006%2006%20M&A%20Branding%20-%20SMR.pdf

The Founding Board will be announcing the new name in a press release in early 2012. Please submit your ideas by December 16 to be considered. If your idea is used you will receive a formal Letter of Appreciation from the Founding Board along with iPod Nanos for your entire team (up to five total).

Please send entries to Patty Gertz e...@jasig.org and Ian Dolphin iando...@sakaifoundation.org by December 16, 2011.

Thanks for your help!

Joshua Baron
Senior Academic Technology Officer