GOOGLE FRIEND CONNECT WEEK 2/21~2/28

Nick Ramsay

Feb 1, 2009, 11:58:16 AM2/1/09
to JapanSoc
This is a CALL TO ACTION!

Between February 21st and 28th, JapanSoc.org (this group) will run a
Google Friend Connect Week.

Here's the (suggested) plan:

1. Go to http://www.google.com/friendconnect/ and follow the
instructions to set it up. You don't have to put it on your site just
yet, but as an example, I've put it at the bottom of the sidebar here:
http://www.japansoc.com

2. We have 16 members in this group so far. Let's send out email
invites to our fellow J-bloggers and get at least 50 members here by
February 21st.

3. Between February 21st and 28th, put the widget on your site (if you
haven't already), then let us know via this group and we'll all sign
up for your widget.

I realize not everyone will want to put an ugly Google widget on their
site, and that's fine, but please participate by encouraging new
members to join JapanSoc.org and make sure you join our sites through
our widgets.

Hopefully, by the end of that week, we should all have at LEAST 20
people in our Connect widgets.

Shane

Feb 2, 2009, 2:22:59 AM2/2/09
to JapanSoc
Thanks Nick! My avatar is now in the sidebar of JapanSoc and I've
requested others to be my friend :) Come join me - it was easy!

On Feb 1, 6:58 am, Nick Ramsay <n...@longcountdown.com> wrote:
> This is a CALL TO ACTION!
>
> Between February 21st and 28th, JapanSoc.org (this group) will run a
> Google Friend Connect Week.
>
> Here's the (suggested) plan:
>
> 1. Go tohttp://www.google.com/friendconnect/and follow the

Michael

Feb 2, 2009, 11:48:33 AM2/2/09
to JapanSoc
Sounds good! We should put a concise list of all member sites that
will put the widget up so each of us can just click through it and
join all very easily ^^

On Feb 2, 7:22 am, Shane <shanesak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Nick! My avatar is now in the sidebar of JapanSoc and I've
> requested others to be my friend :) Come join me - it was easy!
>
> On Feb 1, 6:58 am, Nick Ramsay <n...@longcountdown.com> wrote:
>
> > This is a CALL TO ACTION!
>
> > Between February 21st and 28th, JapanSoc.org (this group) will run a
> > Google Friend Connect Week.
>
> > Here's the (suggested) plan:
>
> > 1. Go tohttp://www.google.com/friendconnect/andfollow the

Nick Ramsay

Feb 4, 2009, 2:28:17 AM2/4/09
to JapanSoc
Just want to say thanks to those of you that joined the Google Friend
Connect widget on JSocCom. I never expected to get 20 members in it so
quickly, and I'm psyched about our Google Friend Connect Week later
this month.

If you missed the start of this thread, this Action Alert is an
experiment with a new social networking technology from Google. In the
last week of February, those of who choose to take part, can put the
widget on their own site (if not done already) and then we'll use
those widgets to connect our sites together. Clicking the avatar of
each "member" shows their Google profile (with favorite links), sites
they've joined in the GFC network, and you can "friend" them, too.
Another feature is you can use the widget to invite other friends from
Facebook, Twitter, etc. giving more exposure to your own sites, and
the ones you've joined.

What really sets GFC apart from other social networks is that there's
no central website as such. Instead the network is hosted across all
the participating sites. And so far, I'm only talking about the
"Members Widget". There are loads more widgets if you want more
features.

yonasu

Feb 4, 2009, 9:15:55 AM2/4/09
to JapanSoc
I've set mine up now, it's in the sidebar of yonasu.com. Hope someone
can join before the friend connect week so that it doesn't look so
empty :P
Message has been deleted

Jamaipanese

Feb 4, 2009, 9:30:28 AM2/4/09
to JapanSoc
@ Yonasu joined :D, now my awesome avatar will fill up your sidebar :P

I'll be adding mine to my sidebar soon, I think it's time I put the
entrecard widget to rest

David Shackelford

Feb 4, 2009, 9:55:58 AM2/4/09
to japa...@googlegroups.com
Okey-doke, mine is up. http://shack.typepad.com. Tip: In google's gadget creation tool, keep the asterisked fields blank to have the gadget stick to your regular css.

Nick Ramsay

Feb 4, 2009, 10:44:03 AM2/4/09
to JapanSoc
Good stuff! It's great seeing how different it looks on each person's
blog. Through Yonasu's, I got to Andrew Shuttleworth's site and he's
already got 25 members! Somebody send that man an invite! :)

On Feb 4, 11:55 pm, David Shackelford <da...@dshack.net> wrote:
> Okey-doke, mine is up.http://shack.typepad.com. Tip: In google's gadget
> creation tool, keep the asterisked fields blank to have the gadget stick to
> your regular css.

shibuya246

Feb 4, 2009, 11:07:34 AM2/4/09
to JapanSoc
Does anyone know how to install it on a wordpress.com system?
thanks

Nick Ramsay

Feb 4, 2009, 11:55:17 AM2/4/09
to JapanSoc
It looks like it's not possible on Wordpress.com, yet. Bummer.

I found this quote from December 6th, 2008:

"Currently there is no way I can find to add Friend Connect to
WordPress.com hosted blogs, or blogger either for that matter. You
will need to have a self hosted blog to make this work. Those services
may come out with a Friend Connect widget at some point in the
future."

And this on the Wordpress.com forums, February 4th, 2009:

"I am wondering if anyone has figured out how to get Google Friend
Connect for Wordpress.com users. We need to upload files to the root
directory it, but of course, we are not allowed to do that? I am
thinking about just buying a hosting option and moving to a
wordpress.org install. Any word if us loyal wordpress.com users will
ever get to use this."

GoddessCarlie

Feb 4, 2009, 7:43:59 PM2/4/09
to JapanSoc
Well, we are up to step two with 50 members now! I've gone ahead and
put the widget on my site, so I'd love to see some beautiful faces on
there ;)

Thanks David for the advice on removing the formatting, as other wise
it would have taken me forever to try and match my colours up to the
right bits!

On Feb 2, 2:58 am, Nick Ramsay <n...@longcountdown.com> wrote:
> This is a CALL TO ACTION!
>
> Between February 21st and 28th, JapanSoc.org (this group) will run a
> Google Friend Connect Week.
>
> Here's the (suggested) plan:
>
> 1. Go tohttp://www.google.com/friendconnect/and follow the

2JPN

Feb 5, 2009, 8:58:41 AM2/5/09
to JapanSoc
Ok. I've added one on 2JPN on the social networks page.
It's a little unorthadox. But it'll do:

http://www.2jpn.com/social-networks/

On Feb 2, 1:58 am, Nick Ramsay <n...@longcountdown.com> wrote:
> This is a CALL TO ACTION!
>
> Between February 21st and 28th, JapanSoc.org (this group) will run a
> Google Friend Connect Week.
>
> Here's the (suggested) plan:
>
> 1. Go tohttp://www.google.com/friendconnect/and follow the

Jamaipanese

Feb 5, 2009, 12:37:14 PM2/5/09
to JapanSoc
added the Google Friend Connect Widget to my site as well.

http://www.jamaipanese.com/

looking forward to seeing you guys sign up :D

On Feb 5, 8:58 am, 2JPN <ineedr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok.  I've added one on 2JPN on the social networks page.
> It's a little unorthadox. But it'll do:
>
> http://www.2jpn.com/social-networks/
>
> On Feb 2, 1:58 am, Nick Ramsay <n...@longcountdown.com> wrote:
>
> > This is a CALL TO ACTION!
>
> > Between February 21st and 28th, JapanSoc.org (this group) will run a
> > Google Friend Connect Week.
>
> > Here's the (suggested) plan:
>
> > 1. Go tohttp://www.google.com/friendconnect/andfollow the

Deas

Feb 5, 2009, 6:28:00 PM2/5/09
to JapanSoc
I've also added the Members widget to http://www.rockinginhakata.com .

I shrank the width of the widget to 180 px, which is 20 shy of the
official "minimum width" that the code generator gave...so let me know
if anything weird happens because of it. I had to fit it in my ugly
sidebar...my blog needs a makeover. Ha ha.

shibuya246

Feb 6, 2009, 8:10:28 AM2/6/09
to JapanSoc
I have joined a number of the sites that have added friends connect.
It certainly looks good to have the same people showing up on the
sites I have visited. The sense of community is strong! Does anyone
know why on some sites I have 3 friends showing and on others I have
7. Is it something to do with the setting that says " Publish my
activities to other sites I have joined" inside the google friends
connect settings page ? When i go to Manage Friends on the google
setting page it only shows me with 1 friend. I guess it is all new and
Goggle have probably not figured it all out yet.

Just wondered really if people were click the " Publish my activities
to other sites I have joined" box or not?

On Feb 2, 1:58 am, Nick Ramsay <n...@longcountdown.com> wrote:
> This is a CALL TO ACTION!
>
> Between February 21st and 28th, JapanSoc.org (this group) will run a
> Google Friend Connect Week.
>
> Here's the (suggested) plan:
>
> 1. Go tohttp://www.google.com/friendconnect/and follow the

Nick Ramsay

Feb 6, 2009, 8:34:06 AM2/6/09
to JapanSoc
My guess is that instead of showing all your friends, it shows the
ones that have joined the site you are currently on.

On Feb 6, 10:10 pm, shibuya246 <b...@shibuya246.com> wrote:
> I have joined a number of the sites that have added friends connect.
> It certainly looks good to have the same people showing up on the
> sites I have visited. The sense of community is strong! Does anyone
> know why on some sites I have 3 friends showing and on others I have
> 7. Is it something to do with the setting that says "  Publish my
> activities to other sites I have joined" inside the google friends
> connect settings page ? When i go to Manage Friends on the google
> setting page it only shows me with 1 friend. I guess it is all new and
> Goggle have probably not figured it all out yet.
>
> Just wondered really if people were click the "  Publish my activities
> to other sites I have joined" box or not?
>
> On Feb 2, 1:58 am, Nick Ramsay <n...@longcountdown.com> wrote:
>
> > This is a CALL TO ACTION!
>
> > Between February 21st and 28th, JapanSoc.org (this group) will run a
> > Google Friend Connect Week.
>
> > Here's the (suggested) plan:
>
> > 1. Go tohttp://www.google.com/friendconnect/andfollow the

shibuya246

Feb 6, 2009, 8:39:33 AM2/6/09
to JapanSoc
right. it would be nice if you could see all the friends and in
brackets maybe the site you became friends on. seems strange that you
have to go back to the same party you met someone at to find them
again. cant you take your friends with you ? something for google to
think about maybe.

Are you selected or not selecting the " Publish my activitiesto other
sites I have joined" box ? I have it selected.

Nick Ramsay

Feb 6, 2009, 9:09:42 AM2/6/09
to JapanSoc
I hadn't checked that box... but I have now! :)

Chris Gaunt

Feb 7, 2009, 3:33:03 AM2/7/09
to JapanSoc
Added it to http://www.nihongonotes.com
Would love to see your faces in the sidebar ;D

I also decided to go with the new design I've been playing around with
for the last few months.

Michael

Feb 9, 2009, 12:51:38 PM2/9/09
to JapanSoc
Me too. Everyone come and join http://michaeldowney.net early and
avoid the Action Altet rush! :D

On Feb 7, 8:33 am, Chris Gaunt <chris.ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Added it tohttp://www.nihongonotes.com

Michael

Feb 9, 2009, 12:53:54 PM2/9/09
to JapanSoc
Me too! Come and join http://michaeldowney.net and avoid the Action
Altert rush! :D

On Feb 7, 8:33 am, Chris Gaunt <chris.ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Added it tohttp://www.nihongonotes.com

Sanjo-chan

Feb 9, 2009, 8:18:06 PM2/9/09
to JapanSoc
I just added the widget to my blog: http://centakume.info/
I can't wait to meet the other connectors. ^_^

On Feb 9, 12:53 pm, Michael <michaeldow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Me too! Come and joinhttp://michaeldowney.netand avoid the Action

Jamie

Feb 9, 2009, 9:46:23 PM2/9/09
to JapanSoc
Added the FriendConnect widget to my new site http://www.frugalistajapan.com

Hope you will support me~

Oh, since I'm new to this group, let me give you a 5 second
introduction. I'm James. I've been living in Japan 5 years now.
Originally from London, UK. Came here on JET, then moved onto
university teaching where I am now. Looking to break into the the IT
industry this year. Been blogging for a while now but FrugalistaJapan
is my attempt at going "mainstream" shall we say. It's a personal
journey for me into the world of frugalism/ality/ness. Other than
being frugal, personal interests revolve around motorbiking and
gaming.

Yoroshiku! Let's make something amazing here guys.

Nick Ramsay

Feb 9, 2009, 10:55:00 PM2/9/09
to JapanSoc
I just went to James' site and he has 0 RSS readers. That's no good,
is it?! Let's help him put some numbers in his Feedburner chicklet by
subscribing to his RSS feed, and for every new reader, James is kindly
giving 50 cents to charity!

Donate just by subscribing:
http://www.frugalistajapan.com/2009/02/donate-just-by-subscribing/

On Feb 10, 11:46 am, Jamie <ja...@thecampwiki.com> wrote:
> Added the FriendConnect widget to my new sitehttp://www.frugalistajapan.com

Jamaipanese

Feb 9, 2009, 11:02:54 PM2/9/09
to JapanSoc
Welcome Sanjo-chan and Jamie!

@ Jamie & Nick......subscribed!

David Shackelford

Feb 9, 2009, 11:07:32 PM2/9/09
to japa...@googlegroups.com
I just subscribed too. Keep in mind that Feedburner doesn't always display your subscriptions correctly until you've got posted a few more times...it calculates it based on pings to readers....I think. I'll find my readership shoots up once I post after not posting for a while.

Chris Gaunt

Feb 9, 2009, 11:11:59 PM2/9/09
to JapanSoc
I joined and subscribed too. Nice idea :)

On Feb 10, 1:07 pm, David Shackelford <da...@dshack.net> wrote:
> I just subscribed too. Keep in mind that Feedburner doesn't always display
> your subscriptions correctly until you've got posted a few more times...it
> calculates it based on pings to readers....I think. I'll find my readership
> shoots up once I post after not posting for a while.

Jamie

Feb 10, 2009, 2:19:18 AM2/10/09
to JapanSoc
I know, its very sad ;( Thanks for the support! As soon as I hit the
first target of 50 readers, I'll be donating $25 micro loan via Kiva!
Hmm, perhaps I should submit that to the JapanSoc main page...

http://www.frugalistajapan.com/2009/02/donate-just-by-subscribing/

Again, thanks all!

reesan

Feb 10, 2009, 5:36:08 AM2/10/09
to JapanSoc
Great to be here. I've just started joining your sites.
Also, I have just installed the widget on my site http://www.loneleeplanet.com.
Looking forward to seeing your smiling faces there. :-)

Jerome Sadou.

Feb 10, 2009, 8:07:11 PM2/10/09
to JapanSoc
I ve added the widget on my blog this week end, thanks for joining !
This is a very good idea indeed.

On Feb 10, 7:36 pm, reesan <l...@cypha.com.au> wrote:
> Great to be here. I've just started joining your sites.
> Also, I have just installed the widget on my sitehttp://www.loneleeplanet.com.
> Looking forward to seeing your smiling faces there. :-)
>
> On Feb 2, 1:58 am, Nick Ramsay <n...@longcountdown.com> wrote:
>
> > This is a CALL TO ACTION!
>
> > Between February 21st and 28th, JapanSoc.org (this group) will run a
> > Google Friend Connect Week.
>
> > Here's the (suggested) plan:
>
> > 1. Go tohttp://www.google.com/friendconnect/andfollow the

Saitoko

Feb 10, 2009, 8:26:01 PM2/10/09
to japa...@googlegroups.com
Yikes, I'm definitely doing something wrong...I tried to stick the widget on my Blogger page, but it's not working.  It had me download two .html files, but I'm not sure how to open them to stick the code into my sidebar...Or whether that's how it works at all.  Does Blogger happen to have a shortcut at all that makes sticking this widget on any easier?  I know there are a ton of options for social things to add to the sidebar, but I guess I haven't quite run across the Google Friend Connect yet.  I did join JapanSoc's, though!  ^_^  Any help would be wonderful, and I apologize if I already missed a step by step tutorial anywhere!  *braindead this morning*

Lee Giddins

Feb 10, 2009, 8:35:46 PM2/10/09
to japa...@googlegroups.com

Hi Saitoko,

I don’t profess to be an authority on this however here is what I think… J

The two files that are provided by Google Friend Connect are required to be installed (i.e. FTP’d) to your root directory so that Google can authenticate you as the owner of the site. It is not until after the authentication occurs that Google Friend Connect will dish up the widget code that you can apply to your sidebar.

If your Blogger site is a blogspot (or non-FTP) there may be another method of installation. Check out this link:

http://buzz.blogger.com/2008/08/show-off-your-followers.html

As I said, I’m no authority. Hopefully this gives you a sniff in the right direction.

Saitoko

Feb 10, 2009, 11:13:27 PM2/10/09
to JapanSoc
Lee, thank you so much! I wasn't able to get the Google Friend
Connect, but the Blogger "Follow" feature works just perfectly! ^_^

Nick Ramsay

Feb 10, 2009, 11:21:29 PM2/10/09
to JapanSoc
Jerome's Google Friend Connect widget is on
http://www.jeromesadou.com/

KenTanaka

Feb 10, 2009, 11:33:25 PM2/10/09
to JapanSoc
Hello,Everybody.
I'm Ken Tanaka. I joined after fellow youtuber Koichi-kun told me
about this.
I mostly make vlogs at
http://www.youtube.com/user/helpmefindparents

but i have a new blog that I haven't really done much with yet at
http://dailydujour.com/category/blogs/ken-tanakas-blog/

I look forward to communicating with you all.

Yours,
Ken

Jamie

Feb 11, 2009, 12:27:02 AM2/11/09
to JapanSoc
Hi Guys, I've just figured out a majorly big error in my feed link
which is why it's only reporting one current subscriber - really
sorry, but the link I had to subscribe on my page and in the link bar
was actually an old feed, one that is linked to an old account that I
can no longer access. I hate to an be arse, but if anyone who signed
up to my feed could possibly go check their feed address - if it says
feeds.feedburner.com/FrugalistaJapan it is wrong - it should be
pointing to http://feeds2.feedburner.com/FrugalistaJapanFeed ~

Sorry!

I will try to post this message out on the old feed and get people to
switch, not sure if its possible from an account I cant access anymore
though.

Muza-chan

Feb 11, 2009, 2:30:27 PM2/11/09
to JapanSoc
Hi,
I joined the group and I also added the Friend Connect widget to my
site, http://www.muza-chan.net.
Though my site is in Romanian, generally my readers are familiar with
English. ;)

Jamaipanese

Feb 11, 2009, 6:42:00 PM2/11/09
to JapanSoc
please remember....persons posting links to there blogs with requests
to join should go through the thread and join the friend connect
widget on the sites of persons who have posted links before them. :D

On Feb 11, 2:30 pm, Muza-chan <muza.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I joined the group and I also added the Friend Connect widget to my
> site,http://www.muza-chan.net.

Muza-chan

Feb 12, 2009, 3:25:10 PM2/12/09
to JapanSoc
Of course. A small issue, on http://shack.typepad.com/ it says that
"This gadget is configured incorrectly". And I couldn't find the
widget on http://dailydujour.com/

David Shackelford

Feb 12, 2009, 7:44:20 PM2/12/09
to japa...@googlegroups.com
Dag. Mapped my domain, and now I probably need to redo the whole gadget.

GoddessCarlie

Feb 14, 2009, 2:35:30 AM2/14/09
to JapanSoc
Is anyone finding that their widget is really slow loading? It may be
my server, but I think it is the widget at the page always seems to
pause when loading that part of the page. Anyone else finding this
with theirs?

Carlie
http://www.goddesscarlie.com

Jamaipanese

Feb 14, 2009, 7:15:42 AM2/14/09
to JapanSoc
at times i do notice that the widget is the last to appear on the page
but for me it doesn't slow down loading of the other items on the page

Deas

Feb 17, 2009, 7:20:01 PM2/17/09
to JapanSoc
So this event is coming up next week, and I already have 15 folks in
my widget and have joined many others, myself. Thought I might ask a
few questions.

1) What exactly does Google Friend Connect do? Or what will it do in
the future? It seems like we just put our faces on a bunch of
sites...with minimal interaction. Is it a framework that's growing?
Are they regularly releasing new widgets that will bring about more
interesting social activity? Or is it just another method of trying to
gauge popularity?

2) Is anyone interested in the Social Bar widget instead of the
Members or Sign In widgets? If it were more customizable, I'd be
tempted, I think. (Google Test Site = http://www.ossamples.com/freestyle/
<- looks like a cruddy old iWeb page, ha ha.)

Saitoko

Feb 17, 2009, 8:12:27 PM2/17/09
to japa...@googlegroups.com
I was wondering the same thing, myself.  I have joined plenty of people's Friend Connects, but my own Friend Connect, since I can't stick it on my blog, seems to be this nebulous floating box full of avatars out there on the internet.  I even had a few requests to add a few folks, but I didn't even know about it until I would join on to someone else's Friend Connect!  It would be helpful if they would make some kind of home base for people to manage their Friend Connect activity.  I would have thought just having a Google account would have done the trick, but can't find access to it anywhere.  Best I've got that comes anywhere near something showing up on my blog is the "Follow" feature.  *shrug*

Chris Gaunt

Feb 17, 2009, 8:25:45 PM2/17/09
to JapanSoc
I'm not sure it's of much benefit right now, maybe google will develop
it further. I've had one visit from it, I guess someone took the
trouble to view my profile on another blog with the panel. Not sure
whether to keep it or not. I could put in something else or move my
blogroll further up the sidebar which would probably send our members
more visits.

I've had more success implementing Disqus, it's brought in about 5 or
so extra comments from random visitors so far.

ジェイソン (Jason)

Feb 17, 2009, 8:32:57 PM2/17/09
to JapanSoc
This sounds a lot like Google's version of other failed bolg
networking tools (Entrecard, BlogRush, etc.). I think I'll hold of on
installing it for the time being. Google has way too many projects
that have been a "work in progress" for several years with no real
direction or aim.

*shrugs*

Nick Ramsay

Feb 17, 2009, 10:00:09 PM2/17/09
to JapanSoc
"It would be helpful if they would make some kind of home base for
people to
manage their Friend Connect activity"

Click on your own avatar and you can see all your activity - sites
you've joined, people you've friended, etc.

Before you all start poo-pooing GFC because you don't get any/much
traffic from it, let me paste what I wrote on a different thread here
ages ago:

- Enter Google Friend Connect. I haven't used it yet, but basically,
it gives all of us the ability to add social networking functionality
to our sites just by copying and pasting some code. So if 100 of us
all agreed to add a Google Friend Connect widget to our sites and made
the effort to join all those sites we'd suddenly have 100 avatars
showing up in our sidebars. Then by the nature of "viral marketing",
those 100 "friends" should turn into 200 as connections from our
various social networks like Facebook join sites that we've joined and
so on.

I think the "Invite your friends" option is pretty poor at the moment
- which is a shame, but nevertheless, the theory is that by inviting
friends from Facebook, etc., you can introduce new people to our
network who may otherwise not have known about it.

As for Deas' comment about it just being a box of faces, well it is.
It's a list of your site's members and their social information, but
only *they* can use other widgets you add to your site like the Wall
gadget, with hopefully better ones to come.

I'm very optimistic about it. There are 43 members in the box on my
site, so that means there are 43 people floating around the web
indirectly promoting my site. It cost me nothing except some space on
my sidebar. And if I think It's ugly, I can always switch it for a
much smaller "Sign In" gadget instead.

So let's give this a go, eh? One big push later this week - signing up
for everyone's widgets, adding as friends, asking Twitter followers to
join your widget, visiting the sites of people in your widget, and
actively searching out other GFC widgets for blogs outside our own
group.

Remember, Google Friend Connect is just a tool. It's how we use it
that makes it worthwhile, or worthless.

Deas

Feb 17, 2009, 10:16:09 PM2/17/09
to JapanSoc
Sorry, wasn't trying to rain on the parade or anything! Ha ha. Just
curious. I'm still in.

Nick Ramsay

Feb 17, 2009, 11:44:42 PM2/17/09
to JapanSoc
Take a look at the Social Web Blog for more about Google Friend
Connect:
http://googlesocialweb.blogspot.com/

Saitoko

Feb 18, 2009, 1:28:53 AM2/18/09
to JapanSoc
Thanks for that link! I finally got the widget on my blog,
but...Strangely, there's no sign on it of anyone I've added or anyone
who's added me...Whenever I visit everyone else's widget, I see all of
that info clearly, so I'm not sure why that information isn't also
showing up on my own blog widget...Gahhh.. >_< Sorry to be so
frustrating with this. I've never had so much trouble managing this
kind of thing.

Nick Ramsay

Feb 18, 2009, 2:04:12 AM2/18/09
to JapanSoc
I've joined. Come on folks, let's populate Saitoko's GFC widget:
http://koreanghetto.blogspot.com/

Lee Giddins

Feb 18, 2009, 2:15:29 AM2/18/09
to japa...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I joined (again). I made a mistake last time and joined the one below it with the heading "...Is anybody there? :-)"

Saitoko

Feb 18, 2009, 2:31:13 AM2/18/09
to japa...@googlegroups.com
LOL, well thanks, Lee!  :)  I noticed you there when you joined, and felt terrible that my Friend Connect wasn't working to reflect everyone I added, too!  I'm adding more as I go...I just hope they eventually start showing up on that widget!...I'll definitely try to keep things a little less cranky on my blog, if people are reading it now!  It's been evolving, and has had some strange moments while I didn't have readers, but my intention now is to keep it much more Japanese Experience oriented and less...personal rant-y?  ^^;  Thank you so much Nick for the plug, and thanks to everyone who's reading!  I'm making my way around to commenting and collecting blogs as I go, too!

Nathan

Feb 18, 2009, 9:32:14 AM2/18/09
to JapanSoc
I'm using Opera's blogging service. Can't figure out how to put this
on there! If anyone could help me out, shoot me an email please! :)

Nathan

David Shackelford

Feb 18, 2009, 9:39:44 AM2/18/09
to japa...@googlegroups.com
Do you have any way of managing files on your site? For friend connect
to work, you need to be able to drop two files google gives you into
your site root.

Michael

Feb 18, 2009, 10:09:42 AM2/18/09
to JapanSoc
Nick, where is your widget on Long Countdown? Couldn't find it...

Nick Ramsay

Feb 18, 2009, 10:44:19 AM2/18/09
to JapanSoc
Haha, it's not there. I'm winding that blog down, using it mostly for
family stuff - only 2 posts this year! The Google widget in the
JapanSoc.com sidebar is the one I'm focusing on, but thanks for
looking at my blog! :-D

Nathan

Feb 19, 2009, 2:39:51 AM2/19/09
to JapanSoc
Yeah, I tried to upload the two files to my root folder, but couldn't
get it to work. I'll try again and mess around with it a bit.

Nate

On Feb 18, 11:39 pm, David Shackelford <da...@dshack.net> wrote:
> Do you have any way of managing files on your site? For friend connect
> to work, you need to be able to drop two files google gives you into
> your site root.

Muza-chan

Feb 20, 2009, 3:58:42 PM2/20/09
to JapanSoc
It's almost 21st here, so I checked all the 47 members on the GFC list
at JapanSoc and I signed up on all the sites where I could find the
widget (however, I couldn't locate the GFC widget on about 18 sites).
Anyway, I think Nick's objective to have at least 20 people in the
widget lists will be fulfilled, I already have 15. ;)

Nick Ramsay

Feb 20, 2009, 11:18:50 PM2/20/09
to JapanSoc
Our Google Friend Connect Week is underway! This is an ACTION ALERT! :-

So what do we do? First, to focus our efforts, please add your site to
the list of GFC sites here:
http://groups.google.com/group/japansoc/web/sites-using-google-friend-connect

Here's what I will do:

- Join every site on that list
- Tweet "I joined Google Friend Connect on (each site)"
- Stumble a page I like from every site
- "Friend" the owners of every site
- Blog about GFC, linking to every site
- Encourage everyone to Soc, Digg, Stumble and Tweet that blog post
- Send regular reminders through this Google group to get involved.
- Join other GFC-enabled sites I like (even if they aren't related to
Japan).
- Try to get 100 members on my widget (47 as I write this).
- Give extra promotion to sites with less than 20 members in their
widget.

I don't expect you to be as GFC crazy as me this week, but wouldn't it
be fun? :-D

Now, go add you site here and getting connecting!:
http://groups.google.com/group/japansoc/web/sites-using-google-friend-connect

Maxamillian

Feb 21, 2009, 8:54:17 PM2/21/09
to JapanSoc
I've Google-widgeted my site (http://gofightjapan.blogspot.com/) and
joined the sites on the list. Hope some of you can stop by! ;o)

Lee Giddins

Feb 21, 2009, 9:46:29 PM2/21/09
to japa...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

For everyone on the GFC list I have submitted their site to StumbleUpon, or
if it was already there, I added a review.

Links are below, it would be good if we could all add a review.

I haven't submitted my own site, in fear of the Stumble algorithm, so if
someone could do that (www.loneleeplanet.com) it would be much appreciated.

I did this yesterday and this morning Stumble has already rewarded me by
referring 3-4 times the normal traffic that it normally would in a day (and
it is just the morning). :-)

A Digg list to follow shortly.

If anyone else has compiled a list of Dugg or Stumbled (different to list
below) pages, please send on. Happy to press buttons on the internet.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/url/www.japansoc.com/
http://www.stumbleupon.com/url/www.jamaipanese.com/
http://www.stumbleupon.com/url/www.dshack.net/
http://www.stumbleupon.com/url/koreanghetto.blogspot.com/
http://www.stumbleupon.com/url/www.centakume.info/
http://www.stumbleupon.com/url/www.2jpn.com/
http://www.stumbleupon.com/url/www.goddesscarlie.com/
http://www.stumbleupon.com/url/www.michaeldowney.net/
http://www.stumbleupon.com/url/www.muza-chan.net/
http://www.stumbleupon.com/url/www.rockinginhakata.com/
http://www.stumbleupon.com/url/www.jeromesadou.com/
http://www.stumbleupon.com/url/gofightjapan.blogspot.com/
http://www.stumbleupon.com/url/www.frugalistajapan.com/

David Shackelford

Feb 21, 2009, 10:21:08 PM2/21/09
to japa...@googlegroups.com
Ooh, thanks! Good call.

Deas

Feb 21, 2009, 10:25:34 PM2/21/09
to JapanSoc
Hey guys - I'm doing maintenance on my site, so it'll be haywire all
day. Maybe avoid sending people to me until it's all stabilized once
more? Ha ha.

Lee Giddins

Feb 22, 2009, 12:43:39 AM2/22/09
to japa...@googlegroups.com

David Shackelford

Feb 22, 2009, 12:54:09 AM2/22/09
to japa...@googlegroups.com
Hmm...maybe we should all submit our please-digg links; chances are a
random post may not be our hottest.

shibuya246

Feb 22, 2009, 1:35:25 AM2/22/09
to JapanSoc
Have added the stumbleUpon list to http://japansoc.bloglinkjapan.com/help/aboutus.aspx
page

When making lists keep in mind that some people could not add the
widget to their page for various reasons (wordpress.com dont suppoprt
it for one), but they are still participating in the social network
connection party and would appreciate all the diggs, stumbles, kicks,
socs, punches, smacks or whatever else is being dished out.
thanks

anyone who is not on the list post your name to the japansoc.org site
and we will add your name to the list.
dont worry about formatting. just give the name of your blog address
and we will sort it out

Nick Ramsay

Feb 22, 2009, 1:45:48 AM2/22/09
to JapanSoc
I've dugg, stumbled and reviewed all those pages Lee listed. This is a
great start to our Google Friend Connect week. Don't forget to join
those widgets!

On Feb 22, 3:35 pm, shibuya246 <b...@shibuya246.com> wrote:
> Have added the stumbleUpon list tohttp://japansoc.bloglinkjapan.com/help/aboutus.aspx
> >http://groups.google.com/group/japansoc/web/sites-using-google-friend...
>
> > Here's what I will do:
>
> > - Join every site on that list
> > - Tweet "I joined Google Friend Connect on (each site)"
> > - Stumble a page I like from every site
> > - "Friend" the owners of every site
> > - Blog about GFC, linking to every site
> > - Encourage everyone to Soc, Digg, Stumble and Tweet that blog post
> > - Send regular reminders through this Google group to get involved.
> > - Join other GFC-enabled sites I like (even if they aren't related to
> > Japan).
> > - Try to get 100 members on my widget (47 as I write this).
> > - Give extra promotion to sites with less than 20 members in their
> > widget.
>
> > I don't expect you to be as GFC crazy as me this week, but wouldn't it
> > be fun? :-D
>
> > Now, go add you site here and getting connecting!:
> >http://groups.google.com/group/japansoc/web/sites-using-google-friend...

Lee Giddins

Feb 22, 2009, 2:31:22 AM2/22/09
to japa...@googlegroups.com
Ok, sorry, I was using the wrong list as a starting point. Thanks for adding
the Stumble column Shibuya246. Makes life easier. I'll get clicking on that.

Also, as David Shackelford suggested, if you want a post Dugg send through a
link.

David Shackelford

Feb 22, 2009, 2:56:38 AM2/22/09
to japa...@googlegroups.com
If y'all could digg this, I'd much appreciate it:
http://www.dshack.net/2009/02/is-waseda-worth-it.html

Lee Giddins

Feb 22, 2009, 3:05:05 AM2/22/09
to japa...@googlegroups.com
A Digg for Shack's 'Is Waseda Worth It?' article can be made here:

http://digg.com/educational/Is_Waseda_Worth_It

Lee Giddins

Feb 22, 2009, 4:00:10 AM2/22/09
to japa...@googlegroups.com
Wow, sore neck. I have stumbled every site on Shibuya246's link below:

http://japansoc.bloglinkjapan.com/help/aboutus.aspx

Except 'Leggo My Eigo'. I get a 403 Forbidden on that.

Feb 22, 2009, 9:56:15 PM2/22/09
to japa...@googlegroups.com
jamie. good job.

mine is classified as 'beer' (???) how'd you change yours? i can't seem to find a way.

Maxamillian

Feb 22, 2009, 10:02:31 PM2/22/09
to JapanSoc
Yeh, how do you change the classification? My comedy blog is
classified under "Crime". Some people might not find the blog funny,
but there's no need for that...

Billy

Feb 23, 2009, 1:30:10 PM2/23/09
to JapanSoc
I too have got the GFC widget up
please pass by when you have a moment:

http://tune-in-tokyo.com

- Billy

Jamie

Feb 23, 2009, 6:30:43 PM2/23/09
to JapanSoc
Well, when i say "changed", I mean clicked on the button on the right
hand side that says report this as classified incorrectly, and it asks
you for what it should be. we should probably check again in a week or
so, as its needs to be ok-ed by an admin or team of checkers i guess.

btw, im curious if just adding a review helps the sites - do we not
have to favorite it too with the little "thumbs up toolbar button? im
not too informed about the stumble algorithm.

Lee Giddins

Feb 23, 2009, 6:36:20 PM2/23/09
to japa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jamie, yeah, I noticed that you had made 'reviews' but weren't appearing
on the 'People who like this' list.

I think that you need to go the page and click the 'I like it!' button in
the toolbar, as you suggested.

I had the same issue and went back through all of the sites and clicked the
button and now I am appearing.

Feb 23, 2009, 6:39:38 PM2/23/09
to japa...@googlegroups.com
But good question about 'reviews'!

Does anybody know if a 'review' adds any weight to the algorithm? Or is a
simple 'I like it!' sufficient?

Feb 23, 2009, 7:01:40 PM2/23/09
to japa...@googlegroups.com
NOTE: After proof-reading my post it got a little long, though I hope it explains you guys a bit better how SU works ^^ here it goes:

One thing I looked upon on StumbleUpon a while ago was the algorithm. Reviews DO help but have to be with the "I like it!" thumbs up. A negative review is punished like hell, and the amount of time also has a big influence (the shorter the time span between two thumbs up, the more visitors you will get).

On the other side, avoid stumbling one single domain (IE: instant-ramen.net/something, then instant-ramen.net/another) many times, you will be blocked. Visit other websites, then return. SU doesn't like this behavior because they serve paid ads now, and if you want to have SU visitors on your blog they $ugge$t that you use their ads.

Another thing: the amount of friends and subscribers you have also influences the amount of pageviews your stumbles will get. My other account (now retired and in any case used for different work-related things ^^) would grant at least 300 page views on any article I reviewed or discovered in less than one hour -- which is not bad considering that I didn't have that many friends. My new account on the other hand doesn't seem to do much of a thing but it is fairly new.

Also, it is not exactly recommended that you guys stumble a static file or the root (IE: www.instant-ramen.net), instead, it's better to stumble the articles per se, and here's my shameless plug: http://www.instant-ramen.net/2009/02/utada-hikaru-from-j-idol-to-tetris-otaku/

Feel free to stumble the above article and I'll let you know what happens, it's not too new but it's not that old either.

SU prefers new content and "stales" old one -- in fact, most search engines/social sites award new content (Google, Digg, etc.), where a new URL will have more opportunity of rising quickly compared to an older one. For example, if a new article gets 100 diggs in one hour, it will likely be more popular than one with 100 diggs in a one week.

My suggestion: Go for the "I like it!" button when you read an article that you like, and then press the icon next to "Send to" and write a review, and tag it well -- be it your own website, a friend's, or a random page that you stumble upon. If you befriend me (http://haodesu.stumbleupon.com), feel free to use the "sent to" button if you either find something worth it, funny, bizarre, or your own content. I will gladly take a look at it and will probably like it, and if it's yours of course I'll give you a nice review ^^ abusing is bad though, but most of us don't write 500 articles a day, so no problem with that.

BTW: @reesan otsukaresama for all the work with SU and Digg submissions!! I stumbled some websites but teh internetz has been hell slow for at least a week, ISP is messing with new services, I hope I can help a little bit more this week if the tubes get better, hope they clean them!

That's what I've learned reading and messing with SU ^^ hope it helps!

Hao

Lee Giddins

Feb 23, 2009, 8:10:42 PM2/23/09
to japa...@googlegroups.com
Wow Hao. That's some good insight. I never knew. Thanks.

I Stumbled to your page and clicked 'I like it!'. It seems to take a bit to appear in the 'People who like this' section. I can't seem to get my avatar to appear. Also, this article is categorised as 'instant-messaging'. :-)

Here's my shameless SU plug (all Stumbles appreciated):

Nick Ramsay

Feb 23, 2009, 9:05:50 PM2/23/09
to JapanSoc
Guys, StumbleUpon is great and all, but can we keep this thread at
least loosely related to our Google Friend Connect week? Hao, great SU
advice, but no GFC widget on Instant-Ramen, and no JapanSoc in your
sidebar - not even the logo you made to represent the group!
Onegaishimasu. ;)

On Feb 24, 10:10 am, Lee Giddins <l...@cypha.com.au> wrote:
> Wow Hao. That's some good insight. I never knew. Thanks.
>
> I Stumbled to your page and clicked 'I like it!'. It seems to take a bit to
> appear in the 'People who like this' section. I can't seem to get my avatar
> to appear. Also, this article is categorised as 'instant-messaging'. :-)
>
> Here's my shameless SU plug (all Stumbles appreciated):http://www.stumbleupon.com/url/www.loneleeplanet.com/2009/02/letters-...
>
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Yuan Hao Chiang <yuanhao....@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > NOTE: After proof-reading my post it got a little long, though I hope it
> > explains you guys a bit better how SU works ^^ here it goes:
>
> > One thing I looked upon on StumbleUpon a while ago was the algorithm.
> > Reviews DO help but have to be with the "I like it!" thumbs up. A negative
> > review is punished like hell, and the amount of time also has a big
> > influence (the shorter the time span between two thumbs up, the more
> > visitors you will get).
>
> > On the other side, avoid stumbling one single domain (IE:
> > instant-ramen.net/something, then instant-ramen.net/another) many times,
> > you will be blocked. Visit other websites, then return. SU doesn't like this
> > behavior because they serve paid ads now, and if you want to have SU
> > visitors on your blog they $ugge$t that you use their ads.
>
> > Another thing: the amount of friends and subscribers you have also
> > influences the amount of pageviews your stumbles will get. My other account
> > (now retired and in any case used for different work-related things ^^)
> > would grant at least 300 page views on any article I reviewed or discovered
> > in less than one hour -- which is not bad considering that I didn't have
> > that many friends. My new account on the other hand doesn't seem to do much
> > of a thing but it is fairly new.
>
> > Also, it is not exactly recommended that you guys stumble a static file or
> > the root (IE:www.instant-ramen.net), instead, it's better to stumble the
> > articles per se, and here's my shameless plug:
> >http://www.instant-ramen.net/2009/02/utada-hikaru-from-j-idol-to-tetr...

Nick Ramsay

Feb 23, 2009, 9:17:51 PM2/23/09
to japa...@googlegroups.com
Great to see you've added the GFC widget, Billy. Make sure you list your
site here or you'll miss all the action:
http://groups.google.com/group/japansoc/web/sites-using-google-friend-connect

Feb 23, 2009, 11:09:23 PM2/23/09
to japa...@googlegroups.com
@nick yes I was gonna mention that, it's gone too off-topic and there should be a new new thread instead...

About the widgets, apparently my DNS server is going through some major changes, so 95% of the websites don't work, including Instant-Ramen and JapanSoc.org most of the time (which makes it horribly frustrating to write something and then it's gone), but fortunately my Gmail does work, so I'm taking time to reply through here, this is why I haven't even made a post thanking all the logo sponsors and mentioning the logo (u__u)

Ping was around 1000ms (read: 28kbps modem x_x), now it's 500 (56kbps modem), I'm thinking about suicide as an option but for now it will be slow internet

Doumo sumimasen deshita! T_T

Lee Giddins

Feb 23, 2009, 11:21:04 PM2/23/09
to japa...@googlegroups.com
guys, my bad, i'll re-focus.

but it was part of the To Do items on Nick's original action alert:

> - Stumble a page I like from every site
> - Encourage everyone to Soc, Digg, Stumble and Tweet that blog post

guess i got carried away.

anyways, i'll do the following one tonight:

> - Blog about GFC, linking to every site

so make sure you add the GFC widget and submit your link to the url below. you can do it! :-)

Nick Ramsay

Feb 24, 2009, 12:00:43 AM2/24/09
to JapanSoc
I set myself the goal of getting 20 members in every listed site's
Google Friend Connect widget this week, and most have already passed
that mark. 20 is a good number because it's enough to make sure you
*keep* the widget on your site, so the benefits of this action alert
last into the future.

BUT! Here are some sites from that list who still haven't reached 20
members. Please join their widgets if you haven't already:

19 - http://koreanghetto.blogspot.com/
19 - http://www.2jpn.com/social-networks/
18 - http://gofightjapan.blogspot.com/
18 - http://www.chirimotsumoreba.net/
16 - http://www.jodygodoy.com/
14 - http://www.tune-in-tokyo.com/

I'll be blogging the full list soon! And I'm regularly reporting these
numbers through twitter:
http://twitter.com/nick_ramsay

On Feb 24, 1:21 pm, Lee Giddins <l...@cypha.com.au> wrote:
> guys, my bad, i'll re-focus.
>
> but it was part of the To Do items on Nick's original action alert:
>
> > - Stumble a page I like from every site
> > - Encourage everyone to Soc, Digg, Stumble and Tweet that blog post
>
> guess i got carried away.
>
> anyways, i'll do the following one tonight:
>
> > - Blog about GFC, linking to every site
>
> so make sure you add the GFC widget and submit your link to the url below.
> you can do it! :-)
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/japansoc/web/sites-using-google-friend...
>
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Yuan Hao Chiang <yuanhao....@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > @nick yes I was gonna mention that, it's gone too off-topic and there
> > should be a new new thread instead...
>
> > About the widgets, apparently my DNS server is going through some major
> > changes, so 95% of the websites don't work, including Instant-Ramen and
> > JapanSoc.org most of the time (which makes it horribly frustrating to write
> > something and then it's gone), but fortunately my Gmail does work, so I'm
> > taking time to reply through here, this is why I haven't even made a post
> > thanking all the logo sponsors and mentioning the logo (u__u)
>
> > Ping was around 1000ms (read: 28kbps modem x_x), now it's 500 (56kbps
> > modem), I'm thinking about suicide as an option but for now it will be slow
> > internet
>
> > Doumo sumimasen deshita! T_T
>
> > On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 8:17 PM, Nick Ramsay <n...@longcountdown.com>wrote:
>
> >> Great to see you've added the GFC widget, Billy. Make sure you list your
> >> site here or you'll miss all the action:
>
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/japansoc/web/sites-using-google-friend...

Nick Ramsay

Feb 24, 2009, 10:18:33 AM2/24/09
to JapanSoc
This has slowed right down. Since my last post, not much change with
the same blogs desperate for 20 members. Here are the latest figures
for those sites:
19 - http://gofightjapan.blogspot.com/
18 - http://www.chirimotsumoreba.net/
17 - http://www.jodygodoy.com/
16 - http://www.tune-in-tokyo.com/

I won't stop till they all get 20, ya hear me!!! :-P

On Feb 24, 2:00 pm, Nick Ramsay <n...@longcountdown.com> wrote:
> I set myself the goal of getting 20 members in every listed site's
> Google Friend Connect widget this week, and most have already passed
> that mark. 20 is a good number because it's enough to make sure you
> *keep* the widget on your site, so the benefits of this action alert
> last into the future.
>
> BUT! Here are some sites from that list who still haven't reached 20
> members. Please join their widgets if you haven't already:
>
> 19 -http://koreanghetto.blogspot.com/
> 19 -http://www.2jpn.com/social-networks/
> 18 -http://gofightjapan.blogspot.com/
> 18 -http://www.chirimotsumoreba.net/
> 16 -http://www.jodygodoy.com/
> 14 -http://www.tune-in-tokyo.com/

Lee Giddins

Feb 24, 2009, 10:46:22 AM2/24/09
to japa...@googlegroups.com
Here's my plug for Google Friend Connect:

http://www.loneleeplanet.com/2009/02/google-friend-connect/

If I am missing a site or some recognition or something, lemme know and I
will add.

I've Soc'd, Dugg and Stumbled Lee's GFC post:

http://www.japansoc.com/Technology/japansocs-google-friend-connect-week/

http://digg.com/tech_news/Japan_s_Google_Friend_Connect_Week

http://www.stumbleupon.com/url/www.loneleeplanet.com/2009/02/google-friend-connect/

On Feb 25, 12:46 am, "Lee Giddins" <l...@cypha.com.au> wrote:
> Here's my plug for Google Friend Connect:
>
> http://www.loneleeplanet.com/2009/02/google-friend-connect/
>
> If I am missing a site or some recognition or something, lemme know and I
> will add.

Hao

Feb 25, 2009, 1:19:11 AM2/25/09
to JapanSoc
Omatase shimashita!

Finally teh internet is getting better, so I took the opportunity to
announce the JapanSoc.org logo, thank all the sponsors, talk about
JapanSoc.org, and (drum roll) include the Google Friend Connect
widget! I'm still fighting with Wordpress and PHP for some more
updates but at least I finished that one which I should have done a
while ago, it's those $50 for ramen, beer and women's fault! ^^

Anyway it's here:

http://www.instant-ramen.net/2009/02/japansocorg-logo-announcement-gfc/

On Feb 24, 10:48 am, Nick Ramsay <n...@longcountdown.com> wrote:
> I've Soc'd, Dugg and Stumbled Lee's GFC post:
>
> http://www.japansoc.com/Technology/japansocs-google-friend-connect-week/
>
> http://digg.com/tech_news/Japan_s_Google_Friend_Connect_Week
>
> http://www.stumbleupon.com/url/www.loneleeplanet.com/2009/02/google-f...

Billy

Feb 25, 2009, 5:04:35 AM2/25/09
to JapanSoc
Hello all. I noticed shortly after I installed the GFC widget that the
site was loading very slowly, many times the page was not fully
shutdown (Safari on MAC). I disabled GFC to troubleshoot, cleared the
cache went to the site and it loaded right away completely without an
issue. I re-activated GFC and problemo back again.

I don't know if its the browser / GFC combo (how many of you are using
Safari?) but uhh not happy with any widget with side effects like
this.

Before I yank GFC I wanna know if any of you are experiencing the same
problems and if so is there a solution?

I'd love to be a part of the community but not at the expense of
losing visitors due to the above mentioned issues.

peace
- Billy

Nick Ramsay

Feb 27, 2009, 12:01:49 PM2/27/09
to JapanSoc
Last day of our Google Friend Connect Week!

Please make one last effort to make sure you've joined all the GFC
widgets listed here:
http://groups.google.com/group/japansoc/web/sites-using-google-friend-connect

Nick Ramsay

Mar 16, 2009, 1:40:33 AM3/16/09
to JapanSoc
Japan Probe has added Google Friend Connect! It's the bar-type widget
glued to the bottom of the screen, with comments, too. Go join!

http://www.japanprobe.com

On Feb 28, 2:01 am, Nick Ramsay <n...@longcountdown.com> wrote:
> Last day of our Google Friend Connect Week!
>
> Please make one last effort to make sure you've joined all the GFC
> widgets listed here:http://groups.google.com/group/japansoc/web/sites-using-google-friend...

Chris Gaunt

Mar 16, 2009, 4:56:10 AM3/16/09
to JapanSoc
That is sweet! It wasn't working for me in FF on Mac but after
clearing my cache it's working now.

I see it's a Google Friend Connect feature. I might add that to my
site. Now I see a real reason for having it. The members part by
itself was a bit redundant.

Muza-chan

Mar 18, 2009, 4:23:28 PM3/18/09
to JapanSoc
I decided to move from Google Friend Connect widget to Google Friend
Connect Social bar.
Much more interactivity :-)