Who do the actresses portray in EoE and other questions

Antares

Oct 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/14/00
[This post is strictly for those who've seen the movies only, so be careful.
(What am I saying..most of you here have probably seen it so many times
your DVDs probably have trenches left by repetitive reading already =P)]

1. The human actors/actresses

The FAQs/RCB don't mention anything about this, so here goes:

Okay, the 3 women standing together in the second half of the movie are
obvious. From left to right: Rei, Asuka, and Misato (the dress & cloak colors
are switched, but the necklace is makes it easy to see). They're also in the
intro scene, too.

I'm not sure about the ones in the intro scene though.

i) The woman (with a backpack) on the bicycle who runs into Misato as she
opens the door and is also seen talking on the mobile phone is Asuka.
ii) The two office-worker-lookalikes standing in front of the elevator & the
convenient store: I really thought the one with her hair tied was Rei (by her
facial expression), but she seems to be a different person than the one
standing in trio. I also thought the other person would be Hikari, but Rei and
Hikari aren't really friends.
iii) The man & woman on the bike: Kaji & Asuka maybe?
iv) The lady in the bathroom: She wears glasses, so she's probably Ritsuko.
v) The woman lying with her eyes open and the one who tilts her head
backwards right before the title: ???

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

2. How did EVA-01 grow that white hair? What does it signify?

3. I'm probably missing a point here, but why would Shinji want to strangle
the only other person left in the world at the end of the movie?

4. What do we know about EVA-04 aside from the fact that it vanished?
(How do you guys know it looks like EVA-03, but silver?)

5. The S^2 engine is that red ball on the stomach of 01 and the angels
right? So why do the FAQs said 01 got one from eating that angel, since it
already has one?

(As you can probably tell, I've just finished watching the entire story, and
is now on the hunt for answers.. =) Thanks Antares

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Olivier Hagué

Oct 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/14/00
On Sat, 14 Oct 2000 22:23:59 GMT, Antares <nova_a...@my-deja.com>
wrote:

>1. The human actors/actresses
>
>The FAQs/RCB don't mention anything about this, so here goes:

The "RCB" is actually the pamphlet of "the End of Evangelion".
"Red Cross Book" is a stupid name made up by some occidental fans.

>Okay, the 3 women standing together in the second half of the movie are
>obvious. From left to right: Rei, Asuka, and Misato (the dress & cloak colors
>are switched, but the necklace is makes it easy to see).

Yup.

>They're also in the intro scene, too.

That's not an "intro scene". That's the theatrical trailer for "the
End of Evangelion".
These scenes are excerpts of what the live action sequence of episode
26' was supposed to be. Anno couldn't make it correctly (for reasons
I'm not aware of), so all we can see is a few live shots of Tokyo and
the one you noticed with "Rei", "Asuka" and "Misato", with Shinji and
Rei talking in background.

[Copy/Paste from what I said about the original scenario for episode
26', live action sequence and all, six months ago...]
>Who's the Eva character "24 years old Asuka" was supposed to sleep
>with in the removed live action sequence of "the End of Evangelion"?

Touji.
>>>Who's the Eva character "24 years old Asuka" was supposed to sleep
>>>with in the removed live action sequence of "the End of Evangelion"?
>>
>>Touji.
>
>Say WHAAAT??? O.o???

Well... Yeah. ^_^;
She wakes up and realizes they spent the night together.
Then she goes to the bathroom and realizes she has some *** left in
her mouth.

Good appetite, everyone. ^^;
>It might help if you could place this scene in context with the movie.
>Where would this scene have been had it been included in the film?

Well, I told you it was a live sequence?
The live sequence of episode 26' is not what Anno first planned.
I don't know why exactly, but he had to replace it with these simple
shots of Tokyo...
>Is that in the pre-production version or in the production?

Well, you can actually see a few seconds of that scene in the trailer
of "the End of Evangelion"...
>So what was the originally intended live action sequence going to be? Just
>this after sex scene, or something more?

This scene was just the beginning of the whole leve action sequence.
After that, we get to see Misato (Asuka's neighbour) talking at phone
with her friend Ritsuko...
And also Asuka going to work (she's an office lady, it seems) and
talking about love with her "senpai", Rei.

>And where is this from, the production
>notes?

Nope. All I could read in official documents about that was in an
interview (Anno saying he couldn't do what he first planned for this
sequence).
But I managed to get original scenario of episodes 25' and 26' a few
months ago. It has never been published officially (and features _two_
different endings! ^^ ).

>Which I suppose can only be obtained in Japanese:(

Er... Sorry, it's all in Japanese... ^^;
All this trailer consists of excerpts from that removed live action
sequence.
You can see Asuka (Miyamura Yuuko), Misato (Mitsuishi Kotono) and Rei
(Hayashibara Megumi), but I don't think we happen to see Touji or
Ritsuko?
I'd have to check. ^^
>> But I managed to get original scenario of episodes 25' and 26' a few
>> months ago. It has never been published officially (and features _two_
>> different endings! ^^ ).
>
>Different Endings!!!!??? Olivier, how could you mention the existence
>of such a thing, and then not tell what the two other endings are??!!

I was tired (and still am...). ^^;

>Please, what are the other two endings? Officially published or not,
>I really want to know!!

(I guess I'll sleep later, then... ^^;; )

>And did Anno give any specific reasons why
>this scene could not be done the way he wanted?

Like I said, I don't know...
The excerpts seen in the trailer seem to fit with about all the
sequence described in the scenario, so I really wonder why we couldn't
get to see it... Maybe he couldn't edit it correctly?

Anyway this live sequence ends with Asuka walking in the streets of
the city (called Tokyo-2 in the scenario).
We hear Shinji calling her name. Asuka stops and turns her head toward
the camera (this scene is seen from Shinji's point of view), but the
camera hides itself behind a pole.
Asuka doesn't seem to see anything and leaves. The camera follows her.
Shinji then says "I'm not here", and the image suddenly stops, as if
somebody had pressed "pause".

Shinji says this is not the reality, just a world without him. It
doesn't change anything, except that nobody knows of him here.
Then, he begins to talk with Rei, and the contents of their
conversation is pretty much similar to that of the "theater audience
live action scene" of episode 26'.
When Rei says that "that's not a dream, just a phantasm. A
compensation for reality.", the image disappears, as if the tape had
been cut.

We're in "celluloid world" again. ^^
Shinji looks in his left hand and sees Misato's pendant.
Misato: "Are you just going to give up now!?" (<- episode 25')
Shinji suddenly wakes up (like in the "hospital scenes" of the
series).

Back in "real world"! ^^;
On a TV screen flows the "hospital scene" of episode 16, with Shinji
and Rei talking. We barely hear what they're saying because of "real
world noises" offscreen.
Shinji: "Where is the true reality?"
Shinji (?? it's just weird, here... I'd say it's Rei, instead of
Shinji, but?... ^^; ): "At the end of the dream"
We then see Misato (Mitsuishi Kotono), Rei (Hayashibara Megumi) and
Asuka (Miyamura Yuuko) standing still in the street, looking directly
at the camera (this shot remained in episode 26').
Shinji's voice: "I'm sorry, Ayanami.
I'll return to where I used to be.
There may be nobody there, by now, but I'll return.
I guess there is nothing good for me, there, never was and never will
be, but I'll return.
Because it's the place I belong and I have to live in."
Rei's voice: "If you really don't like it, you can give up."
Shinji's voice: "That's fine."
Yui's voice: "So, you'll be okay, now?"
Shinji's voice: "Yeah. That will be okay for now."
Rei's voice: "I see."

Back in "anime world again".
Shinji wakes up (same "hospital scene" but with orange-like colours)
Shinji: "Where am I?"
Image of an empty entry-plug (like in episode 20, without the plug
suit).
Shinji: "The entry plug of Eva-01?"
Shinji: "But I'm not here."
"This is the sea of LCL... The primordial soup of life. A world
without AT Fields... Without your own shape."
"An ambiguous world where it is impossible to tell where you end and
other people start."
"A fragile world where you exist everywhere, and thus exist nowhere."
"You must recover you lost self on your own."
"When you'll be back on Earth, if you succeed to imagine yourself,
everybody will be able to recover."
"Back on Earth?"
"Yes, go back to Earth."
"If you don't try to imagine any evolution yourself, nothing will ever
change."
"It is the hearts of people that create their appearance."
"And new images will change peoples' hearts and appearances."
"The power of humans is the power of imagination."
"All living things have the ability to return to their original form.
As long as the Sun, the Moon and the Earth exist, everything will be
all right. "

Rei and Kaoru are standing in front of Shinji.
Rei: "Only Angels can break the walls of an Angel heart."
Kaoru" And only humans can break the walls of a human heart."
Rei: "This is a possibility."
Kaoru: "The possibility that people can understand each other,
sometimes."
Rei: "That they can understand each other without relying on words."
Shinji: "But that's just a make-believe."
Shinji: "Just a wish."
Shinji: "Just a prayer."
Rei: "But that instant is sincere."
Lots of people grow from Rei's body (!!?!? like with Lilith and her
human legs?!? ^^;;; )
Rei: "Do you want to be, even if it may hurt somebody?"
Shinji: "I'll get hurt too."
Shinji: "But I can't do a thing if I keep fearing. I can't live."
Rei: "You protect yourself by hurting others, don't you?"
Shinji: "Maybe. But I'll hurt them in order to be myself. And I'll
expiate as well."
Shinji: "For being alive."
Shinji: "But I find it harder to hurt others."
Shinji: "I'm just realizing this again. And I'll keep doing this over
and over."
Shinji destroys the Spear of Longinus.
"Why are you crying?"
"Because you're alive, Ayanami. Because you're here."
"I'm sorry. I don't know what to do at times like this."
Second Rei: "You should smile."
Shinji: "I just feel like I finally understood. I can't. I and the
others aren't the same. I'm nothing but one. Even why I pilot Eva,
even when I don't, I'm nothing but I. That's all."

The Rei-faced Eva series begin to take out their Spears of Longinus.
Their Cores are chipped, then destroyed.
The Eva series become darker, like petrified, and fall on Earth one
after another.
Then follows the destruction of Lilith and the Black Moon seen in
episode 26'.
(I found an (interesting?) note from Anno, though.
When the Evas are shown descending on Earth, he insisted that we could
see them all around the world, at different times of the day. Morning,
noon, evening. But _not_ during night. He clearly stressed that
point.)
Eva-01 is then shown attracted by the Moon.
Shinji pulls the induction lever, and the plug cover is relased by the
security device.
Then flows the flashback with Yui and Fuyutsuki talking about the
purpose of Eva. This scene remained the same.
The entry plug is ejected from Eva-01.
Yui's hand go away from Shinji's cheek.
You know this one, it's in the finished episode as well. ^^
Yui: "You'll be okay, now."
Shinji "Yes."
Shinji: "Good-bye, mother."
The entry plug falls in the LCL ocean (but Anno adds "maybe we could
get rid of that?").
Fade out (Anno: "is there another way?")

Er... I'm pretty tired, now... ^^;;;;;
All that is left is the two different endings (called "Last A" and
"Last B"), but I think I'll describe them later...
Sorry guys, but I gotta sleep, now! ^^;;;
>EoE was really great, but
>when you consider Air was born from earlier ideas they had for
>Ep.25 before the tv air, what kind of ideas did they have for an
>alternated EoE ending!

Yeah but keep in mind that I talk about episode 26', here.
Episode 25' was indeed based on ideas they had before the TV air of
epsiode 25, but episode 26' was written for "the End of Evangelion"
(or "Evangelion : Death and Rebirth"?... well, it was way after the TV
air, anyway...)...
It's still interesting.

>Post it man, PLEASE!!!

I don't have time right now, but I'll do it! ^^

The true ending is based upon the first one ("Last A").
The second ending ("Last B") is slightly different...
Last A

You already know the beginning of this one (a beach, petrified
headless Evas, etc).
Thew, we see the graves Shinji made (it's stated by Anno it was _he_
who made them). The names of all main Eva characters are written of
them, except for "Ayanami Rei".
We then see Asuka's grave.
And Asuka's foot kicking it to the ground. ^^;
(you can still see these graves in the actual ending... no names, but
there is Misato's pendant nailed on one of them, and an other has been
kicked down ^^ )
We then see Shinji and Asuka on the beach... and you know that scene,
too (but this draft demonstrates that Shinji and Asuka didn't just
wake up there after Third Impact... they've been living here for some
times... meaning they _could_ be the two only humans willing to
return, after all... ^^; )
When Shinji starts crying, Asuka was supposed to say something like
"Idiot. No way I'll let you kill me" ("idiot" was removed in the
storyboards... and the whole line was modified, eventually).

Then, the ending music (so, there was one... ^^ ) was supposed to
begin, and the staff credits were to appear (Anno suggests a
horizontal scrolling, like in GunBuster, I guess).
We were to see Eva-01 lying on the Moon, and woman's hair showing from
its broken mask (but her face remains unseen).
Behind Eva-01, you could see Earth, entirely red.
And the Black Moon, destroyed.
The camera goes to the sun, then to the stars.
Credits end.
"Shûgeki" ("the end").

Last B

It begins like the previous one, but Asuka doesn't show up in the
"graves scene".
We then see Shinji lying on the beach.
His right hand is holding a white one.
"I'll never see them again."
"It's better to think of it this way."
"I'm still alive, so I'll keep on living."
He squeezes the hand harder.
Then, he sees Rei (like in the actual episode and Last A).
We eventually see that there is nobod lying near Shinji. Just a white
arm without the rest of the body.
The camera then shows the full moon.
The ending credits are the same as in Last A.
(that one was rather sick... ^^; )

>i) The woman (with a backpack) on the bicycle who runs into Misato as she
>opens the door and is also seen talking on the mobile phone is Asuka.

Yup.

>ii) The two office-worker-lookalikes standing in front of the elevator & the
>convenient store: I really thought the one with her hair tied was Rei (by her
>facial expression), but she seems to be a different person than the one
>standing in trio. I also thought the other person would be Hikari, but Rei and
>Hikari aren't really friends.

The one with the tied hair is "Asuka", and the other one is "Rei".

>iii) The man & woman on the bike: Kaji & Asuka maybe?

I'm not sure about this one... That scene wasn't in the original
scenario...
'Could be "Asuka" and "Touji", since they were supposed to have an
affair, in this scenario?...
Seki Tomokazu is listed in the cast of this section, and Yamadera
Kouichi isn't, so I guess that means it's "Touji"...

>iv) The lady in the bathroom: She wears glasses, so she's probably Ritsuko.

It's Asuka.

>v) The woman lying with her eyes open and the one who tilts her head
>backwards right before the title: ???

I think it's Asuka. I'm not sure, though... ^^;

>Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
>2. How did EVA-01 grow that white hair?

Blue hair, actually.

>What does it signify?

I guess these hair are Yui's...

>3. I'm probably missing a point here, but why would Shinji want to strangle
>the only other person left in the world at the end of the movie?

Er... ^^;
This one is bit too tricky for a short answer, and I'm a bit too tired
right now...
*rus away*

>4. What do we know about EVA-04 aside from the fact that it vanished?

That's about all...

>(How do you guys know it looks like EVA-03, but silver?)

Because of the models.

>5. The S^2 engine is that red ball on the stomach of 01 and the angels
>right?

Nope. The red ball is called the "Core".
We don't know what S² Organs look like, but we do know that S² Organs
and Cores are two different things.

>So why do the FAQs said 01 got one from eating that angel, since it
>already has one?

Like I said, Eva-01 had a Core, but it didn't have a S² Organ.

Watchman

Oct 15, 2000, 12:00:24 AM10/15/00

"Olivier Hagué" wrote:
<snip>

> >5. The S^2 engine is that red ball on the stomach of 01 and the angels
> >right?
>
> Nope. The red ball is called the "Core".
> We don't know what S² Organs look like, but we do know that S² Organs
> and Cores are two different things.
>
> >So why do the FAQs said 01 got one from eating that angel, since it
> >already has one?
>
> Like I said, Eva-01 had a Core, but it didn't have a S² Organ.

From what I remember, I don't think the S2 Organ actually had, or was shown to
have, a specific shape. About all you can assume about it's appearance really is
that it looked like red flesh and was probably organic.

--
'Anyone who isn't confused doesn't really know what's going on'

weewoo

Oct 15, 2000, 1:07:46 AM10/15/00
Watchman wrote:

Is it possible that the S2 Organ is within the core? It makes sense for the power
source to be so well shielded, and it'd explain why the angels explode with so much
power when their cores are damaged enough...

--
weewoo, making an attempt at catching up at least a little bit on all those posts..

Willow_R

Oct 15, 2000, 12:59:01 AM10/15/00

> Is it possible that the S2 Organ is within the core? It makes sense for
the power
> source to be so well shielded, and it'd explain why the angels explode
with so much
> power when their cores are damaged enough...

I agree. I also think that the cores not only have the "sheilding" for the
S2 Organ, but I think it also has all the nerve connections and ligaments
that hold it in place and all that.

Terra Artaria

Oct 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/15/00
Youd think they at least try to hide it like on the evaas

"Willow_R" <Wil...@Sunnydale.com> wrote in message

Olivier Hagué

Oct 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/15/00
On Sun, 15 Oct 2000 15:07:46 +1000, weewoo <ah...@hotkey.net.au>
wrote:

>Is it possible that the S2 Organ is within the core? It makes sense for the power
>source to be so well shielded, and it'd explain why the angels explode with so much
>power when their cores are damaged enough...

I dunno... Doubtful... Eva-01 is supposed to eat Zeruel's S² Organ,
remember? Did we see Eva-01 eating Zeruel's Core?

SpaceRebel

Oct 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/15/00
>And also Asuka going to work (she's an office lady, it seems) and
>talking about love with her "senpai", Rei.

O.o

~Artemis da Spacerebel~
"Happiness can't buy money" -Tom Tom Club
Gender: !FEMALE!
http://harm.beam.at

Olivier Hagué

Oct 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/15/00
On 15 Oct 2000 15:57:46 GMT, spacer...@aol.com (SpaceRebel) wrote:
>>And also Asuka going to work (she's an office lady, it seems) and
>>talking about love with her "senpai", Rei.

>O.o

What's the problem? ^^;

weewoo

Oct 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/16/00
"Olivier Hagué" wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Oct 2000 15:07:46 +1000, weewoo <ah...@hotkey.net.au>
> wrote:

> >Is it possible that the S2 Organ is within the core? It makes sense for the power
> >source to be so well shielded, and it'd explain why the angels explode with so much
> >power when their cores are damaged enough...
>

> I dunno... Doubtful... Eva-01 is supposed to eat Zeruel's S² Organ,
> remember? Did we see Eva-01 eating Zeruel's Core?

Just because it wasn't seen, it doesn't mean it didn't happen.. Unit 01 may have eaten
it during the many close up expressions of horror on the NERV personnel. Although for
such an important event, you'd think it would have been shown, so I've probably just got
this all wrong. As usual.. ^_^

weewoo

Oct 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/16/00
weewoo wrote:

> "Olivier Hagué" wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 15 Oct 2000 15:07:46 +1000, weewoo <ah...@hotkey.net.au>
> > wrote:

> > >Is it possible that the S2 Organ is within the core? It makes sense for the power
> > >source to be so well shielded, and it'd explain why the angels explode with so much
> > >power when their cores are damaged enough...
> >

> > I dunno... Doubtful... Eva-01 is supposed to eat Zeruel's S² Organ,
> > remember? Did we see Eva-01 eating Zeruel's Core?
>
> Just because it wasn't seen, it doesn't mean it didn't happen.. Unit 01 may have eaten
> it during the many close up expressions of horror on the NERV personnel. Although for
> such an important event, you'd think it would have been shown, so I've probably just got
> this all wrong. As usual.. ^_^

Wait a second, I had another thought - if the core only contained the soul, destroying the
core would only cause the Angel's soul-less body to LCLify? That explosion *must* be the
power source exploding.