Creating a working instance of JaikuEngine: A Walkthrough

Adewale Oshineye

Mar 15, 2009, 8:31:34 PM3/15/09
to jaikuengine-discuss
Thanks to help from @bobwyman and @termie I have a pretty thorough
walkthrough on setting up your own Jaiku Engine instance. I'd
appreciate it if people could try it out and let me know if it worked
for them. I've also attached my app.yaml and settings.py so that you
can see what I had at the end of the process.

======Walkthrough=================
Walkthrough: replace exampleku and exampleku.appspot with your Jaiku
Engine instance's name
##############################################################################################

Set up the new application via the AppEngine dashboard here:
http://appengine.google.com/start In my case I'm setting up an
instance called Exampleku at http://exampleku.appspot.com
svn checkout http://jaikuengine.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ jaikuengine
Open app.yaml and change the first line to the name of your
application. In this case: exampleku
Open settings.py and change the following:
Add your name and a valid email address to the list of ADMINS on lines 26-28
Change the SECRET_KEY on line 61 to something secure. I recommend a
good passphrase. Not "I am so secret" This will be used for API
authentication so it's important that it's kept secure. Checking it
into your public Github repository would be a bad idea.
On line 132 change the SITE_NAME. I'm using "Exampleku"
On line 133 change the default support channel. I prefer to call it
after the site so I've renamed it from "support" to "exampleku"
Every JaikuEngine installation has a special user who is
automatically added to every other user's contact list and is used to
provide access for unauthenticated users. On line 136 you should
define that user for your site. The name you choose will get
concatenated onto your appspot domain. In my case I'm choosing
"exampleku" Note that I did not use an email address. Just the user's
name. This user doesn't exist yet and we will have to create it later.
On line 141 change the GAE_DOMAIN. In my case that is exampleku.appspot.com
On line 150 change your HOSTED_DOMAIN to appspot.com This says that
you're not planning to deploy the site to your own domain like
jaiku.com or somemicrobloggingsite.com but will instead by hosting on
one of the *.appspot.com sub-domains.
On line 153 change the DEFAULT_HOSTED_SUBDOMAIN to exampleku. This
will later be concatenated with your HOSTED_DOMAIN to give your site's
address.
On line 155 change your NSDOMAIN to exampleku.appspot.com or the
equivalent for your site's address.
On line 225 change API_DISABLE_VERIFICATION to True. This is a
temporary removal of all security so that you can set up your default
user who will authorise all later users.
On line 304 switch off the support for using queuing to handle large
numbers of users unless you want to set up a cron somewhere to trigger
the background processing. You switch off the queuing by setting
QUEUE_ENABLED = False
Replace lines 366 to 370 with the following:
def default_email_sender():
return 'your_...@domain.com'
Then replace the string 'your_...@domain.com' with your actual
email address or whatever email address you want all emails from your
Jaiku Engine instance to look like they're sent from. Given that if
your instance gets popular you'll be sending quite a lot of email (and
possibly receiving replies) I recommend that you don't use your
personal email address. You should probably use an email address
that's named after your site. In this case "exampleku". Make sure it's
a real email address or it will be rejected as an unauthorised sender.
Then run the following commands
cd jaikuengine
make clean
make zip_all && python manage.py update
Now look at http://exampleku.appspot.com but do NOT sign up for an
account yet. Everything should work except:
http://exampleku.appspot.com/channel
At this point you have a working application but not enough data for
it to be useful.
Now go to: http://appengine.google.com/dashboard?&app_id=exampleku
This is your JaikuEngine instance's dashboard.
Click on the Data Viewer in the left-hand navbar. It should be empty
because you don't have any data in your database.
Now go to: http://exampleku.appspot.com/join and create a user with a
screen name of "exampleku" Since API_DISABLE_VERIFICATION = True this
should work rather than fall over when it tries to authorise the
sending of email. Make sure this user is set up with a real email
address as it will send you a confirmation email. Click on the
confirmation email and finish setting up the exampleku user.
Now look at http://exampleku.appspot.com/explore It should have an
auto-generated post from your exampleku user saying that they've
joined.

Now go to settings.py and change line 225 to say
API_DISABLE_VERIFICATION = False
Then redeploy with following commands:
make clean
make zip_all && python manage.py update

Your JaikuEngine instance should now be ready for end-users. Enjoy.

app.yaml
settings.py

Rom

Mar 16, 2009, 5:05:52 AM3/16/09
to jaikuengine-discuss
Hi Adewale, thanks for the howto. Maybe someone got some hint for me.
It should be ok to simply use the deploy command in the
GoogleAppEngineLauncher instead of:
cd jaikuengine
make clean
make zip_all && python manage.py update

I guess the make command is probably not standard on a mac. However my
page installation keeps white at inundumuns.appspot.com. At least the
favicon seems to be ready - lol!

On Mar 16, 1:31 am, Adewale Oshineye <adew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks to help from @bobwyman and @termie I have a pretty thorough
> walkthrough on setting up your own Jaiku Engine instance. I'd
> appreciate it if people could try it out and let me know if it worked
> for them. I've also attached my app.yaml and settings.py so that you
> can see what I had at the end of the process.
>
> ======Walkthrough=================
> Walkthrough: replace exampleku and exampleku.appspot with your Jaiku
> Engine instance's name
> ########################################################################### ###################
>
> Set up the new application via the AppEngine dashboard here:http://appengine.google.com/startIn my case I'm setting up an
>           return 'your_em...@domain.com'
>         Then replace the string 'your_em...@domain.com' with your actual
> email address or whatever email address you want all emails from your
> Jaiku Engine instance to look like they're sent from. Given that if
> your instance gets popular you'll be sending quite a lot of email (and
> possibly receiving replies) I recommend that you don't use your
> personal email address. You should probably use an email address
> that's named after your site. In this case "exampleku". Make sure it's
> a real email address or it will be rejected as an unauthorised sender.
> Then run the following commands
>         cd jaikuengine
>         make clean
>         make zip_all && python manage.py update
> Now look athttp://exampleku.appspot.combut do NOT sign up for an
> account yet. Everything should work except:http://exampleku.appspot.com/channel
> At this point you have a working application but not enough data for
> it to be useful.
> Now go to:http://appengine.google.com/dashboard?&app_id=exampleku
> This is your JaikuEngine instance's dashboard.
> Click on the Data Viewer in the left-hand navbar. It should be empty
> because you don't have any data in your database.
> Now go to:http://exampleku.appspot.com/joinand create a user with a
> screen name of "exampleku" Since API_DISABLE_VERIFICATION = True this
> should work rather than fall over when it tries to authorise the
> sending of email. Make sure this user is set up with a real email
> address as it will send you a confirmation email. Click on the
> confirmation email and finish setting up the exampleku user.
> Now look athttp://exampleku.appspot.com/exploreIt should have an
> auto-generated post from your exampleku user saying that they've
> joined.
>
> Now go to settings.py and change line 225 to say
> API_DISABLE_VERIFICATION = False
> Then redeploy with following commands:
>         make clean
>         make zip_all && python manage.py update
>
> Your JaikuEngine instance should now be ready for end-users. Enjoy.
>
>  app.yaml
> 1KViewDownload
>
>  settings.py
> 13KViewDownload

Adewale Oshineye

Mar 16, 2009, 8:05:53 AM3/16/09
to jaikuengi...@googlegroups.com
I had the same probably and then switched to an Ubuntu machine. If you
look at the logs via the AppEngine Dashboard:
http://appengine.google.com/ you should be able to see the exception.

JE needs various folders to be zipped up in order for them to be
deployed. The OSX GUI launcher tool doesn't seem to support this. You
can either install something like DarwinPorts in order to be able to
install make or replicate the functionalty of Make. In this case that
means:

make clean:
rm -f $(ZIPFILES)
rm -f profiling/prof_db.*
rm -f api/templates/built_*.html
rm -f doc/method_*.txt
rm -f doc/deco_*.txt
find . -name \*.pyc | xargs -n 100 rm

make zip_all:
ZIPLIST="atom gdata oauth simplejson beautifulsoup django"
for x in $ZIPLIST
do
./bin/zipper.sh $x
done

python manage.py update

Those should be sufficient to give you a working instance on OSX. I
haven't tested them though. Good luck.

Coonay

Mar 16, 2009, 1:24:02 PM3/16/09
to jaikuengine-discuss
i don't have a make on windows,
how to deploy in gae launcher to make it work just like

On Mar 16, 5:05 pm, Rom <roman9...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Adewale, thanks for the howto. Maybe someone got some hint for me.
> It should be ok to simply use the deploy command in the
> GoogleAppEngineLauncher instead of:
>         cd jaikuengine
>         make clean
>         make zip_all && python manage.py update
>
> I guess the make command is probably not standard on a mac. However my
> page installation keeps white at inundumuns.appspot.com. At least the
> favicon seems to be ready - lol!
>
> On Mar 16, 1:31 am, Adewale Oshineye <adew...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks to help from @bobwyman and @termie I have a pretty thorough
> > walkthrough on setting up your own Jaiku Engine instance. I'd
> > appreciate it if people could try it out and let me know if it worked
> > for them. I've also attached my app.yaml and settings.py so that you
> > can see what I had at the end of the process.
>
> > ======Walkthrough=================
> > Walkthrough: replace exampleku and exampleku.appspot with your Jaiku
> > Engine instance's name
> > ########################################################################### ###################
>
> > Set up the new application via the AppEngine dashboard here:http://appengine.google.com/startInmy case I'm setting up an
> > Now look athttp://exampleku.appspot.combutdo NOT sign up for an
> > account yet. Everything should work except:http://exampleku.appspot.com/channel
> > At this point you have a working application but not enough data for
> > it to be useful.
> > Now go to:http://appengine.google.com/dashboard?&app_id=exampleku
> > This is your JaikuEngine instance's dashboard.
> > Click on the Data Viewer in the left-hand navbar. It should be empty
> > because you don't have any data in your database.
> > Now go to:http://exampleku.appspot.com/joinandcreate a user with a
> > screen name of "exampleku" Since API_DISABLE_VERIFICATION = True this
> > should work rather than fall over when it tries to authorise the
> > sending of email. Make sure this user is set up with a real email
> > address as it will send you a confirmation email. Click on the
> > confirmation email and finish setting up the exampleku user.
> > Now look athttp://exampleku.appspot.com/exploreItshould have an

stmo...@gmail.com

Mar 16, 2009, 3:23:34 PM3/16/09
to jaikuengine-discuss
I was following you untill:

Then run the following commands
cd jaikuengine
make clean
make zip_all && python manage.py update

Here I got no idea what do to. Can you please specify a little more?

Colin Faulkingham

Mar 16, 2009, 4:06:21 PM3/16/09
to jaikuengine-discuss
Please excuse me if this ends up being a duplicate post not sure what
happened to the first message.
But I wanted to let you know that your instructions worked for me.

Thanks for the info.

On Mar 15, 7:31 pm, Adewale Oshineye <adew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> because you don't have any data in your database.
> Now go to:http://exampleku.appspot.com/joinand create a user with a
> screen name of "exampleku" Since API_DISABLE_VERIFICATION = True this
> should work rather than fall over when it tries to authorise the
> sending of email. Make sure this user is set up with a real email
> address as it will send you a confirmation email. Click on the
> confirmation email and finish setting up the exampleku user.
> Now look athttp://exampleku.appspot.com/exploreIt should have an
> auto-generated post from your exampleku user saying that they've
> joined.
>
> Now go to settings.py and change line 225 to say
> API_DISABLE_VERIFICATION = False
> Then redeploy with following commands:
>         make clean
>         make zip_all && python manage.py update
>
> Your JaikuEngine instance should now be ready for end-users. Enjoy.

Adewale Oshineye

Mar 16, 2009, 4:22:02 PM3/16/09
to jaikuengi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Colin. http://micro-me.appspot.com/ looks cool.

Adewale Oshineye

Mar 16, 2009, 4:30:24 PM3/16/09
to jaikuengi...@googlegroups.com
2009/3/16 stmo...@gmail.com <stmo...@gmail.com>:

I'm sorry. I made the assumption that you were using a Linux machine
that would have make and various other tools on it.
We should eventually replace the Makefile with a python program. I've
added this to the issue tracker:
http://code.google.com/p/jaikuengine/issues/detail?id=53

In the meantime you need to have the unix tool called make installed
on your machine in order to build and deploy JaikuEngine. Then from
your machine's command line or dos prompt you need to run the commands
specified there in the directory that you checked out the code to.

If you followed the part of the instructions about checking out the
code from Subversion you should be able to use the same window to
build the code.

surftheair

Mar 17, 2009, 9:30:38 AM3/17/09
to jaikuengine-discuss
Hi Adewale! Thanks for the detailed guide, but I'm using MS Windows,
how to run the "make" command? I also only got a white page after I
run the appcfg.py update.

On Mar 17, 4:30 am, Adewale Oshineye <adew...@gmail.com> wrote:

gphonea...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2009, 11:59:38 PM4/5/09
to jaikuengine-discuss
This installation still does not work for Mac users :-(

On Mar 16, 1:30 pm, Adewale Oshineye <adew...@gmail.com> wrote:

Adewale Oshineye

Apr 6, 2009, 1:16:40 AM4/6/09
to jaikuengi...@googlegroups.com
Checkout the code again. Then follow the instructions here:
http://groups.google.com/group/jaikuengine-discuss/browse_thread/thread/ac53124129f35ff2
I just tried this on my mac running OS X Leopard and it worked fine.

It's important to create a new SVN checkout. Also I've only tested
deploying this to a *.appspot.com domain.

Good luck and if there are any problems with your setting things up
please feel free to reply to this mailing list.

gphonea...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2009, 2:50:21 AM4/6/09
to jaikuengine-discuss
I failed at the following step, which part did I miss?

Thanks,

--------------------------------

jaikuengine > python manage.py update
INFO:root:Beginning bootstrap...
INFO:root:Finishing bootstrap.
INFO:root:Monkey patching dev_appserver...
WARNING:root:Could not read datastore data from /var/folders/zz/
zzzivhrRnAmviuee++-hzk++PTw/-Tmp-/django_localfunfriend.datastore
WARNING:root:Could not read datastore data from /var/folders/zz/
zzzivhrRnAmviuee++-hzk++PTw/-Tmp-/
django_localfunfriend.datastore.history
WARNING:root:Could not initialize images API; you are likely missing
the Python "PIL" module. ImportError: No module named _imaging
INFO:root:Trying to load components in ['.svn', '__init__.py',
'__init__.pyc', 'dummy_analytics', 'dummy_legal', 'dummy_sms_service',
'dummy_xmpp_service', 'models.py', 'tests.py']...
Scanning files on local disk.
Scanned 500 files.
Scanned 1000 files.
Scanned 1500 files.
Scanned 2000 files.
Scanned 2500 files.
Scanned 3000 files.
Scanned 3500 files.
Scanned 4000 files.
Scanned 4500 files.
Scanned 5000 files.
Scanned 5500 files.
Scanned 6000 files.
Scanned 6500 files.
Scanned 7000 files.
Scanned 7500 files.
Scanned 8000 files.
Scanned 8500 files.
Scanned 9000 files.
Scanned 9500 files.
Scanned 10000 files.
Initiating update.
ERROR:root:An unexpected error occurred. Aborting.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Users/test/jaikuengine/.google_appengine/google/appengine/
tools/appcfg.py", line 1213, in DoUpload
missing_files = self.Begin()
File "/Users/test/jaikuengine/.google_appengine/google/appengine/
tools/appcfg.py", line 1009, in Begin
version=self.version, payload=self.config.ToYAML())
File "/Users/test/jaikuengine/.google_appengine/google/appengine/
tools/appengine_rpc.py", line 303, in Send
f = self.opener.open(req)
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/
python2.5/urllib2.py", line 380, in open
response = meth(req, response)
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/
python2.5/urllib2.py", line 491, in http_response
'http', request, response, code, msg, hdrs)
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/
python2.5/urllib2.py", line 418, in error
return self._call_chain(*args)
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/
python2.5/urllib2.py", line 353, in _call_chain
result = func(*args)
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/
python2.5/urllib2.py", line 499, in http_error_default
raise HTTPError(req.get_full_url(), code, msg, hdrs, fp)
HTTPError: HTTP Error 403: Forbidden
Error 403: --- begin server output ---
(app_id=u'localfunfriend').
--- end server output ---

On Apr 5, 10:16 pm, Adewale Oshineye <adew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Checkout the code again. Then follow the instructions here:http://groups.google.com/group/jaikuengine-discuss/browse_thread/thre...
> I just tried this on my mac  running OS X Leopard and it worked fine.
>
> It's important to create a new SVN checkout. Also I've only tested
> deploying this to a *.appspot.com domain.
>
> Good luck and if there are any problems with your setting things up
> please feel free to reply to this mailing list.

kevin Wei

Apr 6, 2009, 3:21:41 AM4/6/09
to jaikuengi...@googlegroups.com
i think it is this issue: You do not have permission to modify this app
(app_id=u'localfunfriend').

so you need put the right APPSPOT application name.
or the gmail account you provide doesnot have a 'localfunfriend' in appspot

gphonea...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2009, 3:31:02 AM4/6/09
to jaikuengine-discuss

On Apr 6, 12:21 am, kevin Wei <kevin2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i think it is this issue: You do not have permission to modify this app
> (app_id=u'localfunfriend').
Yeah, I agree. But I don't know why that happens.

> so you need put the right APPSPOT application name.
> or the gmail account you provide doesnot have a 'localfunfriend' in appspot

I provided the gmail account that I registered for my domain
(localfunfriend.appspot.com), so I guess it should not be this
problem.

Any other thought?

> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 4:50 PM, gphoneads.m...@gmail.com <

Adewale Oshineye

Apr 6, 2009, 7:07:55 AM4/6/09
to jaikuengi...@googlegroups.com
2009/4/6 gphonea...@gmail.com <gphonea...@gmail.com>:

> On Apr 6, 12:21 am, kevin Wei <kevin2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> i think it is this issue: You do not have permission to modify this app
>> (app_id=u'localfunfriend').
> Yeah, I agree. But I don't know why that happens.
>

>> so you need put the right APPSPOT application name.
>> or the gmail account you provide doesnot have a 'localfunfriend' in appspot
>
> I provided the gmail account that I registered for my domain
> (localfunfriend.appspot.com), so I guess it should not be this
> problem.
>
> Any other thought?

Go to: http://appengine.google.com/ does it list localfunfriend as one
of your applications? If so which account name does it have in the top
right hand corner? Is it the same as the one you are using to try to
deploy the application?

gphonea...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2009, 12:36:40 PM4/6/09
to jaikuengine-discuss
Yes, it is listed. Here is the status

"Application Status "
"localfunfriend None Deployed "

On Apr 6, 4:07 am, Adewale Oshineye <adew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/4/6 gphoneads.m...@gmail.com <gphoneads.m...@gmail.com>:
>

> > On Apr 6, 12:21 am, kevin Wei <kevin2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> i think it is this issue: You do not have permission to modify this app
> >> (app_id=u'localfunfriend').
> > Yeah, I agree. But I don't know why that happens.
>
> >> so you need put the right APPSPOT application name.
> >> or the gmail account you provide doesnot have a 'localfunfriend' in appspot
>
> > I provided the gmail account that I registered for my domain
> > (localfunfriend.appspot.com), so I guess it should not be this
> > problem.
>
> > Any other thought?
>
> Go to:http://appengine.google.com/does it list localfunfriend as one

Adewale Oshineye

Apr 6, 2009, 1:34:32 PM4/6/09
to jaikuengi...@googlegroups.com
2009/4/6 gphonea...@gmail.com <gphonea...@gmail.com>:

> Yes, it is listed. Here is the status
>
> "Application Status "
> "localfunfriend None Deployed "

Can you provide the local config file that was generated when you ran
the script: python manage.py config --write-to-file
Also your error message indicates that you don't have PIL installed.
You should install that. There's a good set of instructions for
installing PIL on the Mac here: http://aralbalkan.com/1454
Message has been deleted

gphonea...@gmail.com

Apr 7, 2009, 12:11:53 AM4/7/09
to jaikuengine-discuss

On Apr 6, 10:34 am, Adewale Oshineye <adew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/4/6 gphoneads.m...@gmail.com <gphoneads.m...@gmail.com>:
>
> > Yes, it is listed. Here is the status
>
> > "Application                    Status "
> > "localfunfriend                 None Deployed "
>
> Can you provide the local config file that was generated when you ran
> the script: python manage.py config --write-to-file
> Also your error message indicates that you don't have PIL installed.
> You should install that. There's a good set of instructions for
> installing PIL on the Mac here:http://aralbalkan.com/1454

Thanks, and after installing the PIL, everything seems to work.

Again, thanks for the help!

Adewale Oshineye

Apr 15, 2009, 12:46:39 PM4/15/09
to Julio Manuel, jaikuengine-discuss
I would recommend ignoring my original instructions and following the
new (much shorter process) described by Andy in this post:
http://groups.google.com/group/jaikuengine-discuss/msg/c1a02e07879ce898