New Red Hat Version, Lost Value Marks

Charlie Noah

Aug 1, 2007, 9:14:17 AM8/1/07
to Jbase Tech Listserver, ETEC
Good Morning All,

I just upgraded to a new version of Red Hat Linux, and value marks
(CHAR(253)), and I assume other system delimiters no longer show up on
my display. Not only do they not display, they eat the next character. I
seem to remember having to do something the last time I upgraded to fix
this, but I can't find the notes anywhere.

I also noticed when I kick off an xterm session just like I used to, the
background and foreground colors are reversed.

Anyone know how to resolve the value mark thing? uname and the xterm
command line are below.

[root@charlien ~]# uname -a
Linux charlien.inlandtruck.com 2.6.18-8.1.3.el5 #1 SMP Mon Apr 16
15:54:12 EDT 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

xterm -fg blue -bg white -bdc +nul -ulc +cm -cr yellow -bc +dc -rv -ms
red -fn 9x15 -geometry 132x51+0+0 -j -k8 -xrm eightBitInput -xrm
eightBitOutput -sl 10000 -tn xterm.linux -vb &

This is what I had to do to get white letters on a blue background.

Thanks,
Charlie Noah
Inland Truck Parts

Charlie Noah

Aug 3, 2007, 10:50:07 AM8/3/07
to Charlie Noah, Jbase Tech Listserver, ETEC, Chanco, Doug (home), do...@ashwoodcomputer.com, Meyer, David M.
All,

Well, I finally got my value marks back. After some digging on the net,
I tried setting the locale environment variable:

export LC_CTYPE=iso_8859_1

and it worked! ISO 8859 is a standard for 8-bit character encodings.

It was not set at all on the old version, and not set by default on the
new version. I'm not sure what the default was supposed to be, but it
sure wasn't working for this old Pickie.

This may not be the best solution, nor the absolutely correct one, but
it is the only one I found that worked. If anyone has discovered other,
better ways to do this, I'd be very interested in knowing.

Please pass this tidbit on to all who may need it.

Thanks,
Charlie

Charlie Noah

Aug 9, 2007, 9:57:57 AM8/9/07
to jB...@googlegroups.com, ETEC, Chanco, Doug (home), do...@ashwoodcomputer.com
I'm back! My new Red Hat version displays the old black, thin "I-beam" mouse pointer in xterm and
terminal windows. It's a bear to see, especially on a blue background. As I use cut and paste a lot
since my stroke (only 1 hand to work with), this is a real pain. Can anyone help me change it's
color (red would be nice), shape and/or make it bigger?

uname and the xterm command line are below:

[root@charlien ~]# uname -a
Linux charlien.inlandtruck.com 2.6.18-8.1.3.el5 #1 SMP Mon Apr 16 15:54:12 EDT 2007 i686 i686 i386
GNU/Linux

xterm -fg blue -bg white -bdc +nul -ulc +cm -cr yellow -bc +dc -rv -ms red -fn 9x15 -geometry
132x51+0+0 -j -k8 -xrm eightBitInput -xrm
eightBitOutput -sl 10000 -tn xterm.linux -vb &

Thanks,

Dan Ell

Aug 9, 2007, 10:17:54 AM8/9/07
to jB...@googlegroups.com, ETEC, Chanco, Doug (home), do...@ashwoodcomputer.com
Charlie

This might do what you need. http://www.thrysoee.dk/xtermcontrol/

Dan Ell

Charlie Noah

Aug 9, 2007, 3:15:04 PM8/9/07
to jB...@googlegroups.com, ETEC, Chanco, Doug (home), do...@ashwoodcomputer.com
Dan,

I downloaded xtermcontrol, installed and ran it. It looked like it worked when I changed the mouse
foreground to red, but made no change. Do I have to restart KDE to see the change?

Thanks,
Charlie

Dan Ell

Aug 9, 2007, 3:35:47 PM8/9/07
to jB...@googlegroups.com, ETEC, Chanco, Doug (home), do...@ashwoodcomputer.com
Charlie,

I don't know. Geesh. Probably though, I would think it reads it as an initial configuration file.

Dan

doug chanco

Aug 9, 2007, 6:57:09 PM8/9/07
to jB...@googlegroups.com
hey Charlie,
check out the below link (about halfway down are mouse options)

http://tecumseh.srv.ualberta.ca/hyperdispatch/HyperDispatch2/Xterm.html

tonight I will try it on my machine (btw what version fo red hat are you
running enterprise I would assume or advanced server)

do a cat /etc/issue and let me know

I am currently running centos 4 and 5 (free version fo redhat advanced
server)

dougc

ps

email me off the list and/or I can give you a call sometime to help you
work it out