iSquad Ideas and Successes

Nielsen Lisa

Feb 26, 2008, 4:50:42 PM2/26/08
to iTeachiLearn
Plesae share iSquad successes and great ideas.

cma...@schools.nyc.gov

Feb 26, 2008, 5:37:45 PM2/26/08
to iTeachiLearn
One success is the proud feeling srtudents have when I visit the
schools and they inform me they are an iSquad member.

On Feb 26, 4:50 pm, Nielsen Lisa <lnielsen.professio...@gmail.com>

ovid

Feb 29, 2008, 9:29:10 AM2/29/08
to iTeachiLearn
like when my collegues are happy when our students quickly fix their
problem.
we meet twice a week and we have a steady group of abuout 15 students
that attend.
> > Plesae share iSquad successes and great ideas.- Hide quoted text -

KGall...@schools.nyc.gov

Feb 29, 2008, 9:30:31 AM2/29/08
to iTeachiLearn
The students who come really enjoy being involved in iSquad and love
when my colleagues come in to see their assistance. Students are
empowered when they are able to assist other students but even more
especially when they can help their teachers.

On Feb 26, 4:50 pm, Nielsen Lisa <lnielsen.professio...@gmail.com>

Christina Jenkins

Feb 29, 2008, 9:33:31 AM2/29/08
to iTeachiLearn
Our kids also take a lot of pride in their jobs .. They interact
socially as well as during the day when we meet to work on tech
stuff.

One idea I have is to launch an iSquad olympics - perhaps just ahead
of, or just after, the upcoming deployment. I'm finding that my core
of most highly trained members are really into it, but others need a
review on systems and tech support issues (ie they need to memorize
the internet proxy). I'd like to launch a few events - troubleshooting
an internet problem, moving laptops into and out of a cart, etc. Any
suggestions for events would be appreciated!

Charles

Feb 29, 2008, 9:38:44 AM2/29/08
to iTeachiLearn
The iSquad this year is very capable. I can give most of them any task
related to Smartboard setup or laptop issues and they are able to
trouble shoot. When a problem occurs that they can't solve they come
to me, wtch my fix, and the next time they are capable of making that
fix.

The iSquad has taken the lead in organizing and adding content to the
yearbook. They are a pro-active force within the school. They
accomplish tasks, then the teachers thank me for their assistance,
without me ever knowing there was a problem to start with.

Charles Boyce, IS 218

On Feb 26, 4:50 pm, Nielsen Lisa <lnielsen.professio...@gmail.com>

librarylady

Feb 29, 2008, 9:39:16 AM2/29/08
to iTeachiLearn
Students are very excited about being members of the Mouse Squad, but
full support from administration and teachers is necessary for this
program to be effective. Principals need to stress the importance of
the iSquad to teachers.

On Feb 26, 4:50 pm, Nielsen Lisa <lnielsen.professio...@gmail.com>

scott

Feb 29, 2008, 9:39:22 AM2/29/08
to iTeachiLearn
I think one of our successes is that we have a consistent core group
that have been very helpful and are known by the staff.

guy

Feb 29, 2008, 9:39:45 AM2/29/08
to iTeachiLearn
We need more coorperation from teaching staff.

On Feb 26, 4:50 pm, Nielsen Lisa <lnielsen.professio...@gmail.com>

scott

Feb 29, 2008, 9:41:22 AM2/29/08
to iTeachiLearn
our biggest challenge is getting a consistent schedule and resolving
the schools tech status

Mike

Feb 29, 2008, 9:45:34 AM2/29/08
to iTeachiLearn

success: students love computers. They think teachers have no idea
what a computer or mp3 player is. They come into the isquad thinking
that we are technologically illiterate. That quickly changes when we
mention that all of us are responsible for helping both teachers and
students use their computers, use what's available, and troubleshoot.
It's a responsibility that has a great feeling---like owning a
company.

challenge: Getting teachers to allow students to help them.

Gina

Feb 29, 2008, 10:17:31 AM2/29/08
to iTeachiLearn
I hope everyone can see this...Just wanted to re-cap the procedure we
use at our school.

-I set up an automated on-line technology request form through Form
Assembly
-The form lives on our school website for teachers to complete
-The completed form gets automatically sent to our Mouse Squad g-mail
account
-The kids check the e-mail on a regular basis and troubleshoot the
problem

Hope this helps.

Gina

Michelle

Mar 1, 2008, 9:31:32 AM3/1/08
to iTeachiLearn
One of the biggest successes is the pride that my students feel being
a mouse squad member. They proudly wear their badges and quickly know
what to do to help their teacher out.

On Feb 26, 4:50 pm, Nielsen Lisa <lnielsen.professio...@gmail.com>

Edie

Mar 1, 2008, 9:33:37 AM3/1/08
to iTeachiLearn
Our iSquad had been delayed in starting this year due to staffing
problem. Our students, who are special education middle schoolers,
are very enthusiastic. Many students at our school are not in the
neighborhood and take the school bus. This limits their being able
to participate. Finally we have a nice group of students
representing all the iTeach/ilearn
classrooms in our program. We are celebrating our iSquad and
advertising it for 2008.

On Feb 26, 4:50 pm, Nielsen Lisa <lnielsen.professio...@gmail.com>

CBurwell

Mar 1, 2008, 9:33:38 AM3/1/08
to iTeachiLearn
I can speak of one challenge we have and that is having enough work
for them to do. We have a larger group this year and they are all
enthusiastic. Teachers seem to need more support during the day than
we are able to provide, and afterschool when we have time to work, we
don't have enough to do.

On Feb 26, 4:50 pm, Nielsen Lisa <lnielsen.professio...@gmail.com>

bp...@schools.nyc.gov

Mar 1, 2008, 9:38:04 AM3/1/08
to iTeachiLearn
I am interested in encouraging girls to be involved in the program. I
have a few girls who are very interested. This is my starting place.
I am looking forward to having a large group of just girls and a large
group of just boys.

On Feb 26, 4:50 pm, Nielsen Lisa <lnielsen.professio...@gmail.com>

GSimms

Mar 1, 2008, 9:38:32 AM3/1/08
to iTeachiLearn
Our isquad is well supported by our entire staff. Administration,
faculty, support staff and fellow students are very proud of our
isquad members. They marvel at the knowledge they have acquired and
how hard they work before school, in school and after school. This
respect gives the students more confidence, more of a drive to work
harder and allows our team to function well throughout the day.

On Feb 26, 4:50 pm, Nielsen Lisa <lnielsen.professio...@gmail.com>

Gemdj

Mar 1, 2008, 9:41:03 AM3/1/08
to iTeachiLearn
The feeling of accomplishment and pride is "PRICELESS". iSquaders
have become the elite group at my school and they feel proud to be
able to troubleshoot tech issues and teach others, including teachers
and administrators, how to do "cool" tech stuff that can be as simple
as sending an attachment or as sophisticated as creating movies using
movie maker.