Irregular Verb List with a difference

79 vues

ntc69

non lue,
11 sept. 2003, 05:07:2711/09/2003
I post this as I saw a message in August asking about it:

http://www.esl-lounge.com/level1b/lev1birregverbs.html

This ranks the irregular verbs according to how often they are used.

Neil
esl-lounge.com

gcarrera

non lue,
11 sept. 2003, 18:19:2011/09/2003
ne...@esl-lounge.com (ntc69) wrote in message news:<923dc262.03091...@posting.google.com>...

This is great! Our ESL teachers use the ESL-lounge all the time, but
I had never seen this list.
Thanks
GFC

Xakero

non lue,
12 sept. 2003, 07:18:3612/09/2003
"ntc69" <ne...@esl-lounge.com> wrote

> I post this as I saw a message in August asking about it:
>
> http://www.esl-lounge.com/level1b/lev1birregverbs.html
>
> This ranks the irregular verbs according to how often they are used.

Interesting, and useful, I guess, for the purposed it is intended.

As the site talks about a total of 130 irregular verbs I assume it refers to
American English.

My thumb-of the rule verification whether a list of irregular verbs is
complete is to see if it includes "smite"

While I concur that it may be useful to tell learners of English as a
foreign language to concentrate on memorising the 50 most frequently used
irregular verbs I would see no harm in giving them, in addition, the
complete list for their information.
--
Xakero

Alan Lothian

non lue,
12 sept. 2003, 07:43:1712/09/2003
In article <bjsa49$rb9$1...@rex.ip-plus.net>, Xakero <xxa...@thai.com>
wrote:

> "ntc69" <ne...@esl-lounge.com> wrote
>
> > I post this as I saw a message in August asking about it:
> >
> > http://www.esl-lounge.com/level1b/lev1birregverbs.html
> >
> > This ranks the irregular verbs according to how often they are used.
>
> Interesting, and useful, I guess, for the purposed it is intended.
>
> As the site talks about a total of 130 irregular verbs I assume it refers to
> American English.
>
> My thumb-of the rule verification whether a list of irregular verbs is
> complete is to see if it includes "smite"

Indeed, and so I find myself smitten with a desire to respond.

> While I concur that it may be useful to tell learners of English as a
> foreign language to concentrate on memorising the 50 most frequently used
> irregular verbs I would see no harm in giving them, in addition, the
> complete list for their information.

In every language that I know (OK, not so many) all irregular verbs are
in common use -- apart from a very few archaisms. That is why they
remain irregular. Consider Orwell's "Newspeak", or the way that very
young children soon try to regularize verbs.

("Smitten", by the way, is in fairly common use, although "smite" in
other forms is not. As in "I was quite smitten by her." )

Thus smote he a great blow... :)

--
"The past resembles the future as water resembles water" Ibn Khaldun

My .mac.com address is a spam sink.
If you wish to email me, try alan dot lothian at blueyonder dot co dot uk

Adam Atkinson

non lue,
12 sept. 2003, 07:51:1912/09/2003
"Alan Lothian" <alanl...@mac.com> wrote in message

> ("Smitten", by the way, is in fairly common use, although "smite" in
> other forms is not. As in "I was quite smitten by her." )
>
> Thus smote he a great blow... :)

My Dardano e Trifone has some pretty exotic irregular verbs
in it. Though quite a few Italian versbs seem to be irregular
in the past historic, and many of those are irregular in
the same few ways and don't feel _so_ irregular as a result.

Xakero

non lue,
12 sept. 2003, 08:09:2312/09/2003
"Alan Lothian" <alanl...@mac.com> wrote in

> ("Smitten", by the way, is in fairly common use, although "smite" in

> other forms is not. As in "I was quite smitten by her." )
>
> Thus smote he a great blow... :)

Rather biblical.

The Economist, to which I am subscribed, apparently last used "smote" in an
article of April 18th, 2002:
QUOTE
A month earlier in Chiba, which abuts Tokyo, a 68-year-old woman, Akiko
Domoto, smote both the LDP and the Democratic and Communist Parties.
UNQUOTE:
Source: "The regions that can say no", The Economist, April 18th, 2002

I seem to remember, though, having seen it last month in that journal. Their
search engine may be a little out of whack at the moment.
--
Xakero

ntc69

non lue,
12 sept. 2003, 22:33:2012/09/2003
"Xakero" <xxa...@thai.com> wrote in message news:<bjsa49$rb9$1...@rex.ip-plus.net>...

> While I concur that it may be useful to tell learners of English as a
> foreign language to concentrate on memorising the 50 most frequently used
> irregular verbs I would see no harm in giving them, in addition, the
> complete list for their information.

they ALWAYS get the full list. That, they don't have a problem with.
This is to put that full list into some sort of context for them.
There has also been more of an effort in the last decade in the world
of ESL to group irregulars according to the way in which they are
irregular.

gcarrera

non lue,
13 sept. 2003, 12:59:5113/09/2003
> "Xakero" <xxa...@thai.com> wrote in message news:<bjsa49$rb9$1...@rex.ip-plus.net>...
> >
> > While I concur that it may be useful to tell learners of English as a
> > foreign language to concentrate on memorising the 50 most frequently used
> > irregular verbs I would see no harm in giving them, in addition, the
> > complete list for their information.
>

> they ALWAYS get the full list. That, they don't have a problem with.

In my opinion, giving them a complete list is counterproductive. It's
overwhelming and some of t hose verbs are hardly ever used in everyday
conversation. We only give it to them if they request it.

> This is to put that full list into some sort of context for them.
> There has also been more of an effort in the last decade in the world
> of ESL to group irregulars according to the way in which they are
> irregular.

Here is a list arranged by type

http://www.eslfocus.com/grammarfolder/irregverbgroups.html

By the way, I think Susan Jones has the best site on irregular verbs,
verb tenses, spelling changes, etc. She even has a "list of lists".

http://www.gsu.edu/~wwwesl/egw/jones.htm

If any ESL teachers need exercises/games on irregular verbs, please
let me know. I created several and put them on Quia.

bye
GFC

diam...@gmail.com

non lue,
27 mai 2013, 17:42:0627/05/2013
I disagree about giving EFL students a complete list. VerbMatrix has a Master list with 684 verbs and DOES NOT recommend it for EFL students. That's why it also provides a Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced list, all in easy-to-memorize format and their printable PDFs.

lilay...@gmail.com

non lue,
18 nov. 2014, 22:57:3518/11/2014
broke