Re: I wish ...

Madhudvisa dasa

Aug 14, 2010, 9:47:43 PM8/14/10
to Nathan Zakheim, rjsi...@yahoo.com, Mark Anderson, Kanhaiya Das, Tamohara dasa vanaprastha, <parijata@btinternet.com>, <aemcgarrah@yahoo.com>, <alice.budd@att.net>, <ameyatma@16108.com>, <angini1984@yahoo.com>, <apexirx@hotmail.com>, <apsara108@msn.com>, <aryaandvijeta@yahoo.com>, <bartbagel@yahoo.com>, <basu.ghosh.acbsp@pamho.net>, <bgirri@aol.com>, <bhima1600@webtv.net>, <ccr2k@yahoo.com>, <dasdasdas@aol.com>, <dwaymanky@yahoo.com>, <frank-n-style@hotmail.com>, <gadaidasa@yahoo.com>, <gauridas@aol.com>, <gregpradyumna@yahoo.com>, <hantonjohn@hotmail.com>, <hasti90@hotmail.com>, <hbest1@gmail.com>, <hks108@juno.com>, <hmstaub@yahoo.com>, <istagosthi@googlegroups.com>, <j.langevin@yahoo.com>, <jay.greg@gmail.com>, <knschon1@netzero.com>, <knschon1@netzero.net>, <krishnadasb7@aol.com>, <krishnadasbenny@yahoo.com>, <krsnadasd@hotmail.com>, <kumudavana@aol.com>, <markmac108@yahoo.com>, <mitchelangelo1@yahoo.com>, <mitchelangelo108@yahoo.com>, <mystique_1203@yahoo.com>, <naveen.khurana@att.net>, <nimaipandit@gmail.com>, <nimaipandit@yahoo.com>, <nityanandaram108@gmail.com>, <pedromicho@gmail.com>, <prabhupadanuga@live.com>, <radhikagardens@hotmail.com>, <rgswami108@yahoo.com>, <roupamanjaridevidasi@gmail.com>, <shyamala@aol.com>, <shyamasundara@disciples.com>, <sivarajansin@yahoo.com>, <spiritsoul@mac.com>, <srimukunda@yahoo.com>, <steviedreamer@gmail.com>, <sukadevdas@yahoo.com>, <sunandanadas@hotmail.com>, <vaisnavacouncil@yahoogroups.com>, <vedagdas@gmail.com>, <vedaveda@vedaveda.com>, <vidura108@hotmail.com>, <yasoda1008@yahoo.com>, <zepchild@hotmail.com>
Hare Krishna Nara Narayana Prabhu

Please accept my humble obeisances. All gloreis to Srila Prabhuapda!

It is because they have nothing else to do. And they don't want to talk about Krishna. Actually we should only talk about Krishna and chant Hare Krishna. Krishna Katha. Nothing else...

The vast majority of devotees outside ISKCON have no practical devotional service. Krishna consciousness means engaging all our senses in the service of Krishna under the direction of the bona fide spiritual master 24 hours a day. But generally they do not have any service, what to speak of service that can keep them busy 24 hours a day. This is the problem.

My humble suggestion is that everyone should find some practical service that really helps to push on the sankirtan movement. The best service is distributing Srila Prabhupada;s books and the strange thing is many of these devotes are actually good book distributors and preachers, trained up in Srila Prabhupada's ISKCON. But even though we know how to do it, we don't go out on SANKIRTAN.

That is the problem. No sankirtan...

Chant Hare Krishna and be happy!

Your servant

Madhudvisa dasa

www.KrishnaStore.com

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Nathan Zakheim <zak...@earthlink.net> wrote:

"RITVIKS" LIKE TO FIGHT WITH EACH OTHER MORE THAN ANYTHING.

WHAT CAN BE DONE?

On Aug 11, 2010, at 8:40 PM, Jai Simman R. Rangasamy wrote:

Hare Krishna.

I thought for some time that I had seen the worst of this e-mail barrage coming at me everyday. Alas, here it comes again - mail after mail after mail.

How I wish someone took all the e-mail ids and put them in a yahoogroups mailing digest formant and just send 1 digest per week, with the option to unsubscribe and be actually removed upon such a request.

PLEASE !!!!!!! I beg one of you running this e-mail "spam" to do this?

das
jai

parijata

Aug 15, 2010, 1:25:46 PM8/15/10
to Madhudvisa dasa, Nathan Zakheim, rjsi...@yahoo.com, Mark Anderson, Kanhaiya Das, Tamohara dasa vanaprastha, aemcg...@yahoo.com, alice...@att.net, amey...@16108.com, angin...@yahoo.com, ape...@hotmail.com, apsa...@msn.com, aryaan...@yahoo.com, bart...@yahoo.com, basu.gho...@pamho.net, bgi...@aol.com, bhim...@webtv.net, cc...@yahoo.com, dasd...@aol.com, dway...@yahoo.com, frank-...@hotmail.com, gada...@yahoo.com, gaur...@aol.com, gregpr...@yahoo.com, hanto...@hotmail.com, has...@hotmail.com, hbe...@gmail.com, hks...@juno.com, hms...@yahoo.com, istag...@googlegroups.com, j.lan...@yahoo.com, jay....@gmail.com, knsc...@netzero.com, knsc...@netzero.net, krishn...@aol.com, krishna...@yahoo.com, krsn...@hotmail.com, kumud...@aol.com, markm...@yahoo.com, mitchel...@yahoo.com, mitchela...@yahoo.com, mystiq...@yahoo.com, naveen....@att.net, nimai...@gmail.com, nimai...@yahoo.com, nityanan...@gmail.com, pedro...@gmail.com, prabhup...@live.com, radhika...@hotmail.com, rgswa...@yahoo.com, roupamanja...@gmail.com, shya...@aol.com, shyama...@disciples.com, sivara...@yahoo.com, spiri...@mac.com, srimu...@yahoo.com, stevie...@gmail.com, sukad...@yahoo.com, sunand...@hotmail.com, vaisnav...@yahoogroups.com, veda...@gmail.com, veda...@vedaveda.com, vidu...@hotmail.com, yasod...@yahoo.com, zepc...@hotmail.com
Best thing i've found over the years is when someone obviously is in disagreement with something i've said after 'presenting my case' and hearing theirs, is to just let it go - agree to differ. I could have saved sooo much time and energy.  Like a phrase i believe Srila Prabhupada used, to the effect that if a man's mind is changed against his will - of the same opinion he will be still.

Aug 15, 2010, 1:44:47 PM8/15/10
to Prabhupadanuga
Madhuvisa Prabhu,

PAMHO. AGTSP.

When Srila Prabhupada was on the planet, it seems like the devotees
who joined through book distribution were somehow already devotees and
just waiting for the opportunity. In fact I did read a quote where
Srila Prabhupada said just that. The way things are now, we actually
have to be living the lifestyle described by Srila Prabhupada and then
attract people due to the reality of what we are experiencing. Then
the people who are attracted can receive the books. The problem is
that the devotees are spread thin and we don't have the core "fire" to
ignite something big, as they have done in Bangalore. I think
devotees should come together on a simple living/high thinking project
along the lines of what I describe in this article:
http://billyandanuttama.wordpress.com/2010/08/12/our-vision-of-a-self-reliant-project-on-the-mitzel-farm/

We could do it with about only $300,000 in addition to what we can
probably raise.

YS,

Anuttama

Pratyatosa

Aug 15, 2010, 2:17:21 PM8/15/10
to istag...@googlegroups.com
Dear Prabhus, PAMHO. AGTSP!

My wife is expert at engaging devotees from all over the world in Krishna conscious preaching projects such as:

http://news.iskcon.com/node/2972#ixzz0tUu9u6K9

She gets devotees to volunteer their time, but she also gets devotees to donate money to the projects. Then she uses the money to pay other devotees who cannot afford to work for free.

And there is no need to ask anyone to pull up stakes and relocate!

Of course, when it comes to getting donations, she has the
really big advantage of being able to inspire devotees through the agency of her 1st class lectures in ISKCON temple rooms all over the world.

Your servant, Pratyatosa Dasa <http://groups.google.com/group/istagosthi, http://causelessmercy.com/ http://rtvik.com/ http://pratyatosa.com/ http://feedacow.com/ http://llbest.com/>

Anuttama devi dasi

Aug 15, 2010, 3:39:51 PM8/15/10
to Prabhupadanuga
Dear Pratyatosa Prabhu,

It is wonderful that your wife has the shakti to be able to do so much
wonderful service. I do wonder, however, if her efforts are somewhat
misdirected because when she attracts people to ISKCON, they are
unfortunately cheated when it comes to getting a spiritual master who
is not an ordinary man. It would be wonderful if someone with her
abilities would use them to promote Srila Prabhupada's mission, rather
than the mission that pseudo-ISKCON has become: a vehicle for self-
appointed "spiritual masters" to gain followers and all that entails.

I think that the preaching of the future will by by attracting people
by the reality of the results. If we can show that living a more
sattvik lifestyle really does bring happiness and that following the
process really does bring a person closer to Krsna, people will
automatically be attracted because they aren't getting happiness by
pursuing materialism and living tamasic and rajasic lifestyles.

It is probably a moot point, however, because it looks like the
materialistic civilization is unraveling and people, not just devotees
will be struggling just to keep body and soul together. I'm just
hoping that a few devotees have the sense to set themselves up so that
they are in a position of strength when materialism falls apart.

YS,

Anuttama

Pratyatosa

Aug 16, 2010, 3:58:55 PM8/16/10
to istag...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mother Anuttama Prabhu, I have no doubt that your service to Srila Prabhupada is very glorious. Please keep up the good work.

The Krishna conscious, high-tech, talking book series that my wife is planning on publishing in September could turn out to be a revolution for devotee teachers, parents and children, both inside and outside of ISKCON. From what I understand, they will pretty much allow the devotee children to teach themselves to read, and will, at the same time, teach them Krishna conscious stories and philosophy.

IMHO, both your service and her service are very important.

Your servant, Pratyatosa Dasa

Anuttama devi dasi

Aug 16, 2010, 9:34:20 PM8/16/10
to Prabhupadanuga
Yes, Pratyatosa Prabhu, there is no doubt that your wife is very
empowered and sincere. The problem is that when the result of her
service is that a conditioned soul is steered towards another
conditioned soul for salvation, we don't get the same result as when a
conditioned soul is steered towards the pure devotee. If our service
is to spread Lord Caitanya's Movement, the spreading needs to be
towards Krsna, not towards a person who may fall down and do
abominable things. These self-appointed "gurus" who have not been
personally ordered by their spiritual master to accept disciples are
unable to deliver their disciples from the cycle of birth and death.
I would advise your wife to disassociate herself from such people who
are using Srila Prabhupada's mission to advance their own material
desires to have followers.

The biggest disservice that these people in the garb of vaisnavas have
done, in my opinion is not to have told their congregation about Srila
Prabhupada's warnings about the coming war. If they had, some of
these big donors would have set up self sufficient communities which
would have enabled the devotees to be in a position of power following
the coming war.

Bhaktatraveler

Aug 17, 2010, 8:29:58 AM8/17/10
to istag...@googlegroups.com
The simple and short bottom line is she is a cheerleader to DEMONS!

RCB

Aug 17, 2010, 1:41:07 PM8/17/10
to Nathan Zakheim, parijata, Madhudvisa dasa, rjsi...@yahoo.com, Mark Anderson, Kanhaiya Das, Tamohara dasa vanaprastha, aemcg...@yahoo.com, alice...@att.net, amey...@16108.com, angin...@yahoo.com, ape...@hotmail.com, apsa...@msn.com, aryaan...@yahoo.com, bart...@yahoo.com, basu.gho...@pamho.net, bgi...@aol.com, bhim...@webtv.net, cc...@yahoo.com, dasd...@aol.com, dway...@yahoo.com, frank-...@hotmail.com, gada...@yahoo.com, gaur...@aol.com, gregpr...@yahoo.com, hanto...@hotmail.com, has...@hotmail.com, hbe...@gmail.com, hks...@juno.com, hms...@yahoo.com, istag...@googlegroups.com, j.lan...@yahoo.com, jay....@gmail.com, knsc...@netzero.com, knsc...@netzero.net, krishn...@aol.com, krishna...@yahoo.com, krsn...@hotmail.com, kumud...@aol.com, markm...@yahoo.com, mitchel...@yahoo.com, mitchela...@yahoo.com, mystiq...@yahoo.com, naveen....@att.net, nimai...@gmail.com, nimai...@yahoo.com, nityanan...@gmail.com, pedro...@gmail.com, prabhup...@live.com, radhika...@hotmail.com, rgswa...@yahoo.com, roupamanja...@gmail.com, shya...@aol.com, shyama...@disciples.com, sivara...@yahoo.com, spiri...@mac.com, srimu...@yahoo.com, stevie...@gmail.com, sukad...@yahoo.com, sunand...@hotmail.com, vaisnav...@yahoogroups.com, veda...@gmail.com, veda...@vedaveda.com, vidu...@hotmail.com, yasod...@yahoo.com, zepc...@hotmail.com
Nara Narayan excluded PADA from this spam list he generated..  So now PADA is included.  Click here.
Matchless Gifts is not known to PADA.

�Dear Madhudvisa prabhu,�

PAMHO, AGTSP!

We have all come to revere your extremely good work for Srila Prabhupada.

I completely� accept your putting Book Distribution ahead of anything else. SP told Hansaduttak "The Temples may fail, the Devotees may fail, but My Books will not fail"/

Well,� two out of three have come very close to failing, but those two can be given "CPR".

My prophesy for the next few hundred years is that the MAJORITY of books distributed will be in neighborhoods where small temples will crop up all over the place. Just Imagine that a small temple has opened in some part of LA. When the neighbors are invited to "Sunday Dinner" they will be blown away, if all the temple householders cook in the manner of Jamuna and the other householders in SF in 1967-68.

If thirty or forty families come to the Sunday Dinner Feast, then gradually thirty or forty SETS of SP's books will be sold...one set for each household. I predict that devotee women going shopping will sell books in the check out line with the result that the woman who purchased the book will then come to Sunday Dinner at the temple.
In a short time SHE will be selling books in the check out line, and bringing those who bought to books to the temple to see the beautiful Deities, wonderful Prasadam, and child care (!) with no "downside". (Child care co-ops that rotate matajis so that the other matajis can work or do temple service).

This cannot occur until the DOM has been accepted and implemented in each and every Iskcon temple.

With GBC's elected for three year terms by all the temple presidents, the decades of tyrrany will be over.

How will we introduce the DOM to Iskcon?

It was Created by Krishna, it was introduced by Krishna's confidential Associate forty years ago. It was preserved and partially implemented over the years. ()Until 1976).

IF WE ALL "PUT OUR SHOULDER TO THE WHEEL" HOW CAN WE POSSIBLY FAIL, WHEN LORD KRISHNA HIMSELF WILL GIVE US MORE THAN ENOUGH ENTHUSIASM, ENERGY, WISDOM, VISION AND OVERWHELMING SPIRITUAL POWER TO CARRY OUT THIS VITAL MISSION OF THE LORD.

The Present GBC gave poison to SP to prevent the devotees from finding out about the DOM, BUT EVEN IF THEY GIVE POISON TO LORD KRISHNA, THEY CANNOT STOP THE DOM, ONCE DESIRE FOR IT HAS REACHED CRITICAL MASS!

See for yourself"

You will not be disappointed.

Your eternal servant,

NNV das
=

JSwami

Aug 18, 2010, 4:05:00 PM8/18/10
to Nathan Zakheim, istag...@googlegroups.com, <aemcgarrah@yahoo.com>, <alice.budd@att.net>, <ameyatma@16108.com>, <angini1984@yahoo.com>, <apexirx@hotmail.com>, <apsara108@msn.com>, <aryaandvijeta@yahoo.com>, <bartbagel@yahoo.com>, <bgirri@aol.com>, <bhima1600@webtv.net>, <ccr2k@yahoo.com>, <dasdasdas@aol.com>, <dwaymanky@yahoo.com>, <frank-n-style@hotmail.com>, <gadaidasa@yahoo.com>, <gauridas@aol.com>, <gregpradyumna@yahoo.com>, <hantonjohn@hotmail.com>, <hasti90@hotmail.com>, <hbest1@gmail.com>, <hks108@juno.com>, <hmstaub@yahoo.com>, <j.langevin@yahoo.com>, <jay.greg@gmail.com>, <knschon1@netzero.com>, <knschon1@netzero.net>, <krishnadasb7@aol.com>, <krishnadasbenny@yahoo.com>, <krsnadasd@hotmail.com>, <kumudavana@aol.com>, <markmac108@yahoo.com>, <mitchelangelo108@yahoo.com>, <mitchelangelo1@yahoo.com>, <mystique_1203@yahoo.com>, <nimaipandit@gmail.com>, <nimaipandit@yahoo.com>, <nityanandaram108@gmail.com>, <parijata@btinternet.com>, <pedromicho@gmail.com>, <prabhupadanuga@live.com>, <radhikagardens@hotmail.com>, <rgswami108@yahoo.com>, <roupamanjaridevidasi@gmail.com>, <shyamala@aol.com>, <shyamasundara@disciples.com>, <sivarajansin@yahoo.com>, <spiritsoul@mac.com>, <srimukunda@yahoo.com>, <steviedreamer@gmail.com>, <sukadevdas@yahoo.com>, <sunandanadas@hotmail.com>, <vaisnavacouncil@yahoogroups.com>, <vedagdas@gmail.com>, <vedaveda@vedaveda.com>, <vidura108@hotmail.com>, <yasoda1008@yahoo.com>, <zepchild@hotmail.com>, Kanhaiya Das, Mark Anderson, Tamohara dasa vanaprastha, rjsi...@yahoo.com
The annotated scans for chapter five of Bhagavad-gita As It Is are now
online at www.BBTedit.com/changes.

You�ll see all the revisions done for the purports, along with
annotations and with images from the manuscript typed by Srila
Prabhupada himself.

Of special historical interest: For this chapter, Srila Prabhupada
typed on the back of various printed pages, for which images are
included.

Whether you�re for �the changes,� against them, or neutral, here�s
another opportunity to see what the changes actually are.

The changes for the Preface, the Introduction, and the previous
chapters are already online. See them all at www.BBTedit.com/changes.

Anuttama devi dasi

Aug 18, 2010, 8:10:05 PM8/18/10
to Prabhupadanuga
I can't seem to get the link to work:(

On Aug 18, 1:05 pm, "JSwami" <JSw...@pamho.net> wrote:
> The annotated scans for chapter five of Bhagavad-gita As It Is are now
> online atwww.BBTedit.com/changes.
>
> You ll see all the revisions done for the purports, along with
> annotations and with images from the manuscript typed by Srila
> Prabhupada himself.
>
> Of special historical interest: For this chapter, Srila Prabhupada
> typed on the back of various printed pages, for which images are
> included.
>
> Whether you re for the changes, against them, or neutral, here s

Anuttama devi dasi

Aug 19, 2010, 7:42:51 PM8/19/10
to Prabhupadanuga
Dear Jayavaita Maharaja,

PAMHO. AGTSP.

I'm confused about why there are any changes to Srila Prabhupada's
books. We know that they are to be the law books for the next 10,000
years. Don't you think that as a guardian of his mission that you
should protect every word? If you set the precedent of making
changes, even minor ones, within a short time there are bound to be
demons in vaisnava clothes that take that precedent to subtly change
the philosophy. That could be done one word at a time until the
philosophy is lost, as has happened with Christianity. If we stand
strong on the principle that Srila Prabhupada's books are perfect: a
masterpiece greater than the Mona Lisa or the works of Shakespeare,
why would we even want to change the grammar? I'm very curious about
your answer.

YS,

Anuttama

On Aug 18, 1:05 pm, "JSwami" <JSw...@pamho.net> wrote:
> The annotated scans for chapter five of Bhagavad-gita As It Is are now
> online atwww.BBTedit.com/changes.
>
> You ll see all the revisions done for the purports, along with
> annotations and with images from the manuscript typed by Srila
> Prabhupada himself.
>
> Of special historical interest: For this chapter, Srila Prabhupada
> typed on the back of various printed pages, for which images are
> included.
>
> Whether you re for the changes, against them, or neutral, here s

Jayadvaita Swami

Aug 20, 2010, 4:01:49 PM8/20/10
to Prabhupadanuga
Apparently the link was coded wrong for Google Groups.

This is the right address: http://www.BBTedit.com/changes.

Should work.

Apologies for the hassle.

--js

Anuttama devi dasi

Aug 20, 2010, 4:42:19 PM8/20/10
to Prabhupadanuga
Maharaja,

I've looked at the link. Thank you for going to the effort to show
the entire history along with Hayagriva's changes to the original
manuscript as well as your own changes to the text as approved by
Srila Prabhupada. Although I haven't studied all of them, the ones
that I looked at do make the text seem more seamless and obviously the
effort was made to clarify Srila Prabhupada's intentions.

My concern, and I think I speak for many of my godsiblings is: is
this a possibly dangerous precedent? Srila Prabhupada approved the
Bhavad-Gita As It Is. If you set the precedent for changing even one
word, there is a real danger that sometime in the next 10,000, some
demon will change other words, if the devotees allow this. For
instance changing "no eating meat, fish or eggs", could be deemed to
be "unclear" in the future by a demon and it could be changed by
changing only one word to "no eating beef, fish or eggs", to be more
specific. Actually that is changing only 3 letters, but could really
affect how future devotees are able to please Krsna.

Please defend the precedent, even though your changes seem well
intentioned. As a devotee in a position to protect what is left of
Srila Prabhupada's mission, don't you think you should err on the side
of caution? Srila Prabhupada's books sold really well when he was on
the planet and were favorably accepted by scholars. They made many
devotees. Srila Prabhupada thought they were acceptable. Do you
think that the value of the changes is more important than setting a
precedent now of protecting the philosophy from future meddling?

YS,

Anuttama

Anuttama devi dasi

Aug 21, 2010, 12:21:54 PM8/21/10
to Prabhupadanuga
Below is an article submitted to the Sun, cut an pasted, but it came
out better on the e-mail where I recieived I got because the changes
were in bold letters and the side-by-side comparisons were in
columns. So you might want to read it in the Sun, too.

It's Your Call
BY: RUPANUGA DAS (ACBSP)
Feb 19, FLORIDA, USA (SUN) — Part I
One way to consider whether the revisions published in the 1983
version of the Bhagavad-gita As It Is were necessary is to make a side-
by-side comparison of those revisions with the first edition text as
published by Macmillan Co. in 1972. It was that text or manuscript to
which Srila Prabhupada affixed his seal of approval: "I have received
your letter dated May 26, 1972, along with the blue-print copies of
Bhagavad-gita As It Is from the Macmillan Company. It is very nice. So
I shall be looking forward to seeing the entire manuscript and book
sometime around first July, 1972." (Letter to Jayadvaita, May 28,
1972) Macmillan had previously published a heavily abridged paperback
edition, and as Srila Prabhupada later wrote: "I was not very happy,
therefore, when I had to minimize our original manuscript." (Preface,
1972 edition) He was glad to see that Macmillan was publishing his
entire manuscript in book form at last.
Srila Prabhupada had been closely monitoring both the preparation
of the manuscript and the contract with Macmillan. On February 9, 1972
he had written: "I beg to acknowledge receipt of your letter dated
February 9, 1972, along with the two copies of the Macmillan Co.
contract. As per your instructions I have initialed same wherever your
own initials have appeared. I noticed that in the carbon copy
contract, you neglected to initial the last clause (b) of section XX
Special Provisions, although you had done so on the original copy. In
addition I have the phrase to XII Competative Material as follows, "as
well as the 48 pages of illustrations for which the Author reserves
the right to publish for any purpose he may determine…" (Letter to
Rupanuga, February 22, 1972).
This letter illustrates Srila Prabhupada's supervision of details.
Another example, regarding the purposes in the 1972 manuscript being
prepared for Macmillan: "So far changing the wording in the verse or
purport of 12:12 as described before, it may remain as it is." (Letter
to Jayadvaita, March, 1972) Interestingly, three words in that purport
to 12:12, last, regulated and state, were changed against these
instructions – after Srila Prabhupada's disappearance – during the
revision process.
Srila Prabhupada commented in Vrndavan (June 27, 1977), "What can
I do? Ultimate, it goes for editorial. They make changes, such
changes." Obviously, Srila Prabhupada is referring here to unnecessary
changes out of his control, not all changes. Editing means to make
changes, but everyone makes mistakes particular to their service, and
the particular mistake that editors tend to commit is the unnecessary
changes or hyper-editing of content. And in this case – the 1983 Gita
revisions – without the author's option to review any changes while he
was present.
Therefore, notwithstanding the sworn Internet testimonials of
various ISKCON officials or reviewers, the technique of rummaging
previous drafts or tapes to justify all the changes in a printed book
appears dubious – in the absence of a clear directive for such a
procedure from the author, Srila Prabhupada.
Be that as it may, in Srila Prabhupada's absence a side-by-side
comparison of purports from the two editions can be made by the light
of his clear instructions: "Our editing is to correct grammar and
spelling errors only, without interpolation of philosophy or
style." (Letter to Rupanuga, 1970) Also, Srila Prabhupada had warned
the original editor of his 1972 manuscript, Hayagriva das, that he
should be careful not to make needless changes in Srila Prabhupada's
purports, his "personal ecstasies."
Random House's authoritative Webster's College Dictionary (2005
ed.) defines interpolation: 'to introduce (something additional or
extraneous) between other things or parts; interject; interpose; to
alter (a text) by the insertion of new matter, esp. deceptively or
without authorization to insert (new, or spurious matter) in this
manner."
The following two columns of excerpts are from purports only,
example arranged in a way to make a simple comparison between the two
editions. It's up to the reader to judge by the result whether Srila
Prabhupada's instructions are followed in these revisions of his
"personal ecstasies." 'Personal ecstasies' mean that Srila Prabhupada
is giving vijnana or realized knowledge. As he said, "My purports are
liked by people because it is presented as practical experience." (May
23, 1977, Vrindavan)
Bhagavad-gita 2.18 First Edition
…Arjuna was advised to fight and to sacrifice the material body
for the cause of religion.
Bhagavad-gita 2.18 Revised Edition
…Arjuna was advised to fight and notsacrifice the cause of
religion for material, bodily considerations.
Bhagavad-gita 3.20 First Edition
…Being a great devotee of the Lord, he was transcendentally
situated, but because he was the king of Mithila (a subdivision of
Behar province in India), he had to teach his subjects how to fight
righteously in battle.He and his subjects fought to teach people in
general that violence is also necessary in a situation where good
arguments fail.
Bhagavad-gita 3.20 Revised Edition
…Being a great devotee of the Lord, he was transcendentally
situated, but because he was the king of Mithila (a subdivision of
Behar province in India), he had to teach his subjects how to perform
prescribed duties. Lord Krsna and Arjuna, the Lord's eternal friend,
had no need to fight in the Battle of Kuruksetra, but they fought to
teach people in general that violence is also necessary in a situation
where good arguments fail.
Bhagavad-gita 4.10 First Edition
…One has to get rid of all three stages of attachment to the
material world: negligence of spiritual life, fear of a spiritual
personal identity, and the conception of void thatunderlies the
frustration of life.
Bhagavad-gita 4.10 Revised Edition
…One has to get rid of all three stages of attachment to the
material world: negligence of spiritual life, fear of a spiritual
personal identity, and the conception of void thatarises from
frustration in life.
Bhagavad-gita 4.10 First Edition
…So, by the slow process of devotional service, under the guidance
of the bona fide spiritual master, one can attain the highest stage,
being freed from all material attachment, from the fearfulness of
one's individual spiritual personality, an from the frustrations
resulting from void philosophy. Then one can ultimately attain to the
abode of the Supreme Lord.
Bhagavad-gita 4.10 Revised Edition
…So, by the slow process of devotional service, under the guidance
of the bona fide spiritual master, one can attain the highest stage,
being freed from all material attachment, from the fearfulness of
one's individual spiritual personality, an from the frustrations that
result in void philosophy. Then one can ultimately attain to the abode
of the Supreme Lord.
Bhagavad-gita 4.34 First Edition
…Therefore, mental speculation or dry arguments cannot help one
progress in spiritual life. One has to approach a bona fide spiritual
master to receive the knowledge.
Bhagavad-gita 4.34 Revised Edition
…Therefore, mental speculation or dry arguments cannot help lead
one to the right path. Nor by independent study of books of knowledge
can one progress in spiritual life.One has to approach a bona fide
spiritual master to receive the knowledge.
Bhagavad-gita 5.12 First Edition
…The person who is attached to Krsna and works for Him only is
certainly a liberated person, and he is not anxious for fruitive
rewards.
Bhagavad-gita 5.12 Revised Edition
…The person who is attached to Krsna and works for Him only is
certainly a liberated person, and he has no anxiety over the results
of his work..
Bhagavad-gita 5.16 First Edition
…Therefore one has to seek out such a bona fide spiritual master
and, under him, learn what Krsna consciousness is. The spiritual
master can drive away all nescience, as the sun drives away darkness.
Bhagavad-gita 5.16 Revised Edition
…Therefore one has to seek out such a bona fide spiritual master
and, under him, learn what Krsna consciousness is, for Krsna
consciousness will certainly drive away all nescience, as the sun
drives away darkness.
Bhagavad-gita 7.6 First Edition
…A fragmental part and parcel of the Lord, namely the living
entity, may by manipulation of material energy construct a skyscraper,
a factory, or city, but he cannot create matter out of nothing, and he
certainly cannot construct a planet or a universe. The cause of the
universe is the Supersoul. Krsna, the supreme creator of all
individual souls and the original cause of all causes, as the Katha
Upanisad (2.2.13) confirms. Nityo nityanam cetanas cetananam.
Bhagavad-gita 7.6 Revised Edition
…A fragmental part and parcel of the Lord, namely the living
entity, may be the cause ofa big skyscraper, a big factory, or even a
bigcity, but he cannot be the cause of a biguniverse. The cause of the
big universe is thebig soul, or the Supersoul. And Krsna, the supreme,
is the cause of both the big and small souls. Therefore, He is the
original causes. This is confirmed in the Katha Upanisad (2.2.13)
confirms. Nityo nityanam cetanas cetananam.
Bhagavad-gita 7.8 First Edition
…Similarly pranava, or the omkara transcendental sound used in the
beginning of every Vedic hymn to address the Supreme Lord also
emanates from Him.
Bhagavad-gita 7.8 Revised Edition
…And pranava, or the omkara transcendental sound used in the
beginning of every Vedic hymn, addresses the Supreme Lord .
Bhagavad-gita 8.2 First Edition
…Now the word prayana-kale in this verse is very significant
because whatever we do in life will be tested at the time of death.
Arjunafears that at the time of death, those who are in Krsna
consciousness will forget the Supreme Lord because at such a
timebodily functions are disrupted, and the mindmay be in a panic-
stricken state. Therefore Maharaj Kulasekhara, a great devotee, prays,
"My dear Lord, may I die immediately now that I'm healthy so that the
swan of my mind may enter into the stem of Thy lotus feet." The
metaphor is used because the swan often takes pleasure in entering the
stem of the lotus flower – similarly, the mind of the pure devotee is
drawn to the lotus feet of the Lord. Maharaj Kulasekhara fears that at
the moment of his death his throat will beso choked up that he will
not be able to chant the holy names, so it is better to "die
immediately." Arjuna questions howone's mind can remain fixed on
Krsna's lotus feet at such times.
Bhagavad-gita 8.2 Revised Edition
…Now the word prayana-kale in this verse is very significant
because whatever we do in life will be tested at the time of death.
Arjunais very anxious to know of those who are constantly engaged in
Krsna consciousness. What should be their position at that final
moment? At the time of death all the bodily functions are disrupted,
and the mind is not in a proper condition. Thus disturbed by the
bodily situation, one may not be able to remember the Supreme Lord.
Maharaj Kulasekhara, a great devotee, prays, "My dear Lord, just now I
am healthy, and it is better that I die immediately so that the swan
of my mind can seek entrance at the stem of Your lotus feet." The
metaphor is used because the swan, a bird of the water,often takes
pleasure in digging into the lotus flowers; its sporting proclivity is
to enter the lotus flower. Maharaja Kulasekhara says to the Lord, "Now
my mind is undisturbed, and I am quite healthy. If I die immediately,
thinking of Your lotus feet, then I am sure that my performance of
Your devotional service will become perfect. But if I have to wait for
my natural death, then I do not know what will happen, because at that
time the bodily functions will be disrupted, mythroat will be choked
up, and I do not know whether I shall be able to chant Your name.
Better let me die immediately."
Arjuna questions how a person can fix hismind on Krsna's lotus
feet at such a time.
Bhagavad-gita 8.10 First Edition
…In this verse it is clearly stated that at the time of death the
mind must be fixed in devotion the Supreme Godhead. For those
practiced in yoga, it is recommended that they raise the life force
between the eyebrows, but for a pure devotee who does not practice
such yoga, the mind shouldalways be engaged in Krsna consciousness so
that at death he can remember the Supreme by His grace. This is
explained in verse fourteen.
Bhagavad-gita 8.10 Revised Edition
…In this verse it is clearly stated that at the time of death the
mind must be fixed in devotion on to the Supreme Personality
ofGodhead. For those practiced in yoga, it is recommended that they
raise the life force between the eyebrows to the ajna-cakra). The
practice of sat-cakra-yoga, involving meditation on the six cakras, is
suggested here. A pure devotee does not practice such yoga, but
because he is always engaged in Krsna consciousness so that at death
he can remember the Supreme Personality of Godhead by His grace. This
is explained in verse fourteen.
Bhagavad-gita 8.10 First Edition
The particular use of the word yoga-balena is significant in this
verse because without practice of yoga one cannot come to this
transcendental state of being at the time of death. One cannot
suddenly remember the Supreme Lord at death unless he ispracticed in
some yoga system, especially the system of bhakti-yoga. Sine one's
mind at death is very disturbed, one should practice transcendence
through yoga during one's life.
Bhagavad-gita 8.10 Revised Edition
The particular use of the word yoga-balena is significant in this
verse because without practice of yoga --whether sat-cakra-yoga or
bhakti-yoga--one cannot come to this transcendental state of being at
the time of death. One cannot suddenly remember the Supreme Lord at
death; one must havepracticed in some yoga system, especially the
system of bhakti-yoga. Sine one's mind at death is very disturbed, one
should practice transcendence through yoga during one's life.
Bhagavad-gita 8.11 First Edition
Lord Krsna explains that Brahman, although one without a second,
has differentmanifestations and features. For the impersonalists
syllable om is identical with Brahman. Krsna here explains the
impersonal Brahman in which the renounced order of sages enter.
Bhagavad-gita 8.11 Revised Edition
Lord Sri Krsna has recommended to Arjuna the practice of sat-cakra-
yoga, in which one places the air of life between the eyebrows. Taking
it for granted that Arjuna might not know how to practice sat-cakra-
yoga, the Lord explains the process in the following verses. The Lord
says that Brahman, although one without a second, has
variousmanifestations and features. Especially for the impersonalists
the aksara or omkara—the syllable om--is identical with Brahman. Krsna
here explains the impersonal Brahman, in which the renounced order of
sages enter.
Bhagavad-gita 10.31 First Edition
Of all the aquatics the shark is one of the biggest and is
certainly the most dangerous to man. Thus the shark represents
Krsna.And of rivers, the greatest in India is the Mother Ganges. Lord
Ramacandra, of the Ramayana, an incarnation of Krsna, is the mightest
of warriors.
Bhagavad-gita 10.31 Revised Edition
Of all the aquatics the shark is one of the biggest and is
certainly the most dangerous to man. Thus the shark represents Krsna.
Bhagavad-gita 10.33 First Edition
Among the creators and living entities, Brahma is the chief. The
various Brahma's exhibit four, eight, sixteen, etc., heads
accordingly, and they are the chief creators in their respective
universes. The Brahmas are representatives of Krsna.
Bhagavad-gita 10.33 Revised Edition
Among the living entities who are creators, Brahma, who has four
heads, is the chief. Therefore he is a representative of the Supreme
Lord, Krsna.
Bhagavad-gita 10.34 First Edition
"…One need not read many books on different subject matters; the
ability to remember a few and quote them when necessary is another
opulence."
Bhagavad-gita 10.34 Revised Edition
"…And the ability not only to read many books on different subject
matters but to understand them and apply them when necessary is
intelligence (medha), another opulence."
Bhagavad-gita 13.8 First Edition
"…If anyone wants to compete with God and at the same time make
advancement in spiritual knowledge, he will be frustrated. It is
clearly stated that without humility understanding is harmful. To
think oneself God is most puffed up. Although the living entity is
always being kicked by the stringent laws of material nature, still he
thinks, "I am God" because of ignorance. One should be humble and know
that he is subordinate to the Supreme Lord.
Bhagavad-gita 13.8 Revised Edition
"…If anyone wants to compete with God and at the same time make
advancement in spiritual knowledge, he will be frustrated. It is
clearly stated that without humility understanding is not truly
possible. To think oneself God is most puffed up. Although the living
entity is always being kicked by the stringent laws of material
nature, still he thinks, "I am God" because of ignorance. The
beginning of knowledge, therefore, is amanitya, humility. One should
be humble and know that he is subordinate to the Supreme Lord.
Bhagavad-gita 13.29 First Edition
The living entity, by accepting his material existence as just so
much suffering, can become situated in his spiritual existence.
Bhagavad-gita 13.29 Revised Edition
The living entity, by accepting his material existence has become
situated differently than in his spiritual existence.
Bhagavad-gita 16.1-3 First Edition
Then svadhyaya, Vedic study, and tapas, austerity, and arjavam,
gentleness or simplicity, are meant for brahmacarya or student life.
Brahmacaris should have no connection with women; they should live a
life of celibacy and engage the jmind in the study of Vedic literature
for cultivation of spiritual knowledge. This is called svadhyaya.
Bhagavad-gita 16.1-3 Revised Edition
Then svadhyaya, Vedic study, is meant for brahmacarya or student
life. Brahmacaris should have no connection with women; they should
live a life of celibacy and engage the jmind in the study of Vedic
literature for cultivation of spiritual knowledge. This is called
svadhyaya.
Bhagavad-gita 16.1-3 First Edition
As far as simplicity is concerned, not only should a particular
order of life follow this principle, but every member, be in the
brahmacari asrama, or grhastha asrama, or vanaprastha asrama or
sannyasa asrama. One must live very simply.
Bhagavad-gita 16.1-3 Revised Edition
As far as the brahminical quality of simplicity is concerned, not
only should a particular order of life follow this principle, but
every member, be in the brahmacari asrama, orgrhastha asrama, or
vanaprastha asrama or sannyasa asrama. One should be very simple and
straightforward.
Bhagavad-gita 16.1-3 First Edition
The word rajas used here is meant for the kshatriyas. The
kshatriyas should always be very strong to be able to give protection
to the weak. They should not pose themselves as nonviolent. If
violence is required, they must exhibit it.
Bhagavad-gita 16.1-3 Revised Edition
The word rajas used here is meant for the kshatriyas. The
kshatriyas should always be very strong to be able to give protection
to the weak. They should not pose themselves as nonviolent. If
violence is required, they must exhibit it. But a person who is able
to curb down his enemy may under certain conditions show forgiveness.
He may excuse minor offenses.
(An analysis of examples of interpolations will follow in Part II)
[NOTE: My appreciations to Sriman Praghosa das, the renowned book
distributor, for these purport excerpts from his email to Madhuvisa
das on 3/12/98. Thank you very much.]

Jayadvaita Swami

Aug 22, 2010, 1:13:52 PM8/22/10
to Prabhupadanuga

On Aug 19, 4:42 pm, Anuttama devi dasi <anuttam...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm confused about why there are any changes to Srila Prabhupada's
>books. We know that they are to be the law books for the next 10,000
>years. Don't you think that as a guardian of his mission that you
>should protect every word?

Yes.

> If you set the precedent of making
>changes, even minor ones, within a short time there are bound to be
>demons in vaisnava clothes that take that precedent to subtly change
>the philosophy. That could be done one word at a time until the
>philosophy is lost, as has happened with Christianity.

I understand this concern. It's reasonable.

And we have answered it here: http://www.bbtedit.com/node/233.

> If we stand
>strong on the principle that Srila Prabhupada's books are perfect: a
>masterpiece greater than the Mona Lisa or the works of Shakespeare,
>why would we even want to change the grammar? I'm very curious about
>your answer.

The comparison to Mona Lisa (expressed less courteously than the way
you've put it) is discussed here: http://www.bbtedit.com/node/208.

I stand strong on the principle that Srila Prabhupada's books are
perfect -- even the books he published himself in Delhi. Yet even
Srila Prabhupada's "perfect books" sometimes have mistakes that
deserve to be corrected.

For example, in Chapter Five:

“Activities such as hearing, seeing, speaking, evacuating, etc., are
actions of the senses meant for work.” That statement, from the first
edition (from purport to 5.9), is wrong. Hearing and seeing are among
the actions of the knowledge-gathering senses, not the senses meant
for work.

The statement in the book is wrong because a typist left something
out.

You can see for yourself in the annotated scans for chapter five we've
put online at www.BBTedit.com/changes.

Perhaps some devotees might think I should have just left that error
as it was. The training and instructions I received from Srila
Prabhupada lead me to respectfully differ. I believe the reader is
better served by having a text that is "closer to Srila Prabhupada,"
closer to his original words and intentions.

If you haven't already done so, I invite you to inspect the scans for
the five chapters online on the BBTedit website, and especially the
Introduction, for which you can compare the two published editions
with the words you can hear Srila Prabhupada himself speak.

Devotees who do this may not change their minds, but they'll certainly
be better informed.

Thank you for your question.

Yours in Srila Prabhupada's service,
Jayadvaita Swami
http://www.jswami.info

Anuttama devi dasi

Aug 22, 2010, 10:01:43 PM8/22/10
to Prabhupadanuga
Maharaja,

Here is the quote of why the BBT has decided to fix the many "errors"
in Srila Prabhupada's books:

"Question: If you change now, you’re opening the door to changes
later. You’re setting a precedent.

This is a sensible argument. The BBT editors and trustees have
carefully considered it. But in a book where mistakes are so
plentiful, the reverse is equally possible: If the BBT’s present
editors didn't fix them, someone later would have.

The BBT trustees could pass a law: “Absolutely no changes.” But
trustees who come in the future could just as easily overturn it.

Therefore the BBT editors and editors have chosen a different course,
the course followed by publishing houses that set the highest
standards for professionalism and integrity: We strive to publish
books in editions that fix errors, restore lost material, and thereby
stick as closely and faithfully as possible to the letter, spirit, and
intention of what the author originally gave."

Here I'm assuming that the "mistakes" being referred to her are more
than just typos and punctuation. So an example of a "mistake" is this
verse from the Bhagavad-Gita: Original: "Just try to learn the truth
by approaching a spiritual master. Inquire from him submissively and
render service unto him. The self-realized soul can impart knowledge
unto you because he has seen the truth." And with the "mistakes"
fixed: "Just try to learn the truth by approaching a spiritual master.
Inquire from him submissively and render service unto him. The self-
realized souls can impart knowledge unto you because they have seen
the truth."

I'm not an editor and don't have a degree in English, but to me the
original appears correct and the edited version wrong. In the
original version the first part of the verse agrees with the second
part: "a spiritual master....he has seen the truth." In the edited
version: "a spiritual master....they have seen the truth." A cynical
person might even think that the philosophy was being subtly changed
to make it seem like self-realized souls are quite plentiful and a
person seeking the truth could have a great selection to choose from.

Setting a strong precedent such as "absolutely no changes beyond
correcting typos, punctuation and misspelled words" is like building a
building on a solid, level and strong foundation. Saying that there
is no need for a strong level foundation because future builders will
be building crooked walls anyway is a flimsy argument. The above
example from the Bhagavad-Gita proves that the editing can change the
philosophy.

Maharaja, have you asked Srila Prabhupada if he wants you to change
his books? If so, were you open to the answer? When I was a book
distributor, I was big into doing change-ups. My authorities taught
it to us and encouraged its use. I assumed that because doing change-
ups allowed me to distribute lots more books (and collect lots more
laxmi) that it was pleasing to Srila Prabhupada and Krsna. In fact,
when I look back on it now, I can see that Krsna was constantly giving
me hints that He didn't like change-up tricks. It is obviously
devious and unbefitting a vaisnava to do such things. And if I'm
truthful with myself, I wanted to distribute lots of books, not for
Srila Prabhupada, but rather for my own glory as a "big book
distributor". Now that I'm a little more spiritually back on track, I
can see that the most valuable thing in my life is when Krsna allows
me to be conscious of Him. But that consciousness is a gift given by
Krsna and the spiritual master. Using the example above from the
Bhagavad-Gita, we can see that the changes you are making are changing
the philosophy, and so there is no way that Srila Prabhupada is
pleased with this. If our goal in life is to become conscious of
Krsna and if that goal can only be achieved by the mercy of the
spiritual master, you should really ask Srila Prabhupada if he is
pleased and then listen for the answer.

I'm sorry if this seems disrespectful to an elder and superior, but
sometimes the truth can come from an unqualified person.

Wishing you the best,

Mother Anuttama

Anuttama devi dasi

Aug 27, 2010, 3:01:29 PM8/27/10
to Prabhupadanuga
Dear Jayadvaita Maharaja,

PAMHO. AGTSP.

Perhaps this thread got lost, but I haven't read any reply to my
question: have you asked Srila Prabhupada if he wants you to change
his books, and if so, what was his answer? And also don't you think
that setting a precedent to preserve the philosophy as it is is more
important than giving up because you think it is inevitable that
future people will try to change it? Also I'd be curious to read your
answer to whether the BG verse change quoted above is actually an
improvement, or a mistake that subtly changes the philosophy?

Waiting for your answer,

Anuttama

Jayadvaita Swami

Aug 27, 2010, 8:57:55 PM8/27/10
to Prabhupadanuga
Anuttama, my apologies.

Keeping up effectively with the steady stream of messages pouring
forth in personal e-mail, Google groups, Facebook messages, tabloid
internet news sites, et al -- and still getting a decent amount of
other service done -- is beyond my capabilities.

I know that when I say this I may give the impression that this is an
easy excuse for me to invoke when I don't have answers.

On the other hand: It's true.

And in groups, especially, one text rarely settles a question, but
instead generates responses, sometimes in profusion, each with the
expectation that it will be answered (unless -- coward! -- you are
going to put up some excuse and chicken out).

I confess: I can't keep up with it.

Again, my apologies.

Your servant,
Jayadvaita Swami

Anuttama devi dasi

Aug 27, 2010, 9:34:33 PM8/27/10
to Prabhupadanuga
Maharaja,

Thank you for your brief reply. I realize that you are busy, but I
was hoping that answering a younger sister regarding a philosophical
question would be important enough for you to give some response. The
fact is that the Zonal Acaraya fiasco caused me to lose faith in Srila
Prabhupada for a number of years. It was only when I discovered that
he hadn't actually appointed those 11 to be initiating gurus that my
faith was restored in him. My faith has not, however, been restored
in ISKCON. It seems to have become a Hindu organization rather than
than spiritual movement it was when Srila Prabhupada was physically
with us--just trying to change the wikipedia entry on Srila Prabhupada
to not have him described as a "Hindu teacher" proved to be impossible
because the ISKCON wikipedia editors insisted that he be called a
Hindu!

If it is too private a matter to answer about whether you asked Srila
Prabhupada about making changes to his books, could you at least
explain/justify the one change in the Bhagavad-Gita that I cited that
seems to change the philosophy while not making an editing
improvement. If it can't be justified and is in fact a change that
tweeks the philosophy, could you admit that? Here is the quote again:
Original: "Just try to learn the truth
by approaching a spiritual master. Inquire from him submissively and
render service unto him. The self-realized soul can impart knowledge
unto you because he has seen the truth." And with the "mistakes"
fixed: "Just try to learn the truth by approaching a spiritual master.
Inquire from him submissively and render service unto him. The self-
realized souls can impart knowledge unto you because they have seen
the truth."

There was a time, when ISKCON was a spiritual movement that assisting
a younger godsibling's faith was considered a "decent service", so I
hope you'll make time to answer this one question.

YS,

Mother Anuttama