Statistical learning course

Jonathan Rosenblatt

Apr 10, 2015, 8:32:04 AM4/10/15
to israel-r-user-group
Dear all
I am attaching a link to the material of the Statistical Learning course I am giving this semester at BGU.

It is mostly an introduction to statistical learning, particularly with R.
As you will see, it is under construction.
It currently includes:
- Introductory script to R.
- Class notes.

Within the next few weeks it will include:
- Supervised and unsupervised learning examples in R.
- Dim reduction examples in R.
- Memory efficient implementations of learning algorithms (you guessed it... in R).

You are welcome to fork, comment, suggest, and distribute.

Jonathan Rosenblatt
Postdoctoral Researcher
Faculty of Mathematics and CS
Weizmann Institute of Science
www.john-ros.com

Yoni Sidi

Apr 19, 2015, 3:33:20 PM4/19/15
to israel-r-...@googlegroups.com, jonathan....@weizmann.ac.il

i am giving a short introduction to r next week at work. i will fork some of the stuff you have. it looks good

the extra parts i put it i'll add to your repo (rodbc,haven,ggplot2,...)

thanks

Jonathan Rosenblatt

Jun 9, 2015, 4:50:17 AM6/9/15
to israel-r-user-group
Hello again-
just wanted to update that now that the course is almost over, I will stop committing text and code.

In the class notes you will find a presentation of fundamental ideas in machine learning and their application many common methods.
I tried hard to find unifying concepts and notation to the mass of methods and algorithms, but there is clearly room for improvement.

The most valuable aspect of the code samples is in finding the right library and function that implements the many ideas discussed in the class notes.

As usual, you are welcome to download, print, fork, and make suggestions.

The next major revision will be when I give the course again. I have no idea when that will be :-)

Hope you find it useful.