Safari Full Screen Mode in 2.1?

topher

Sep 14, 2008, 12:00:19 AM9/14/08
to iPhoneWebDev
Anyone tested this yet?

Kris Ziel

Sep 14, 2008, 12:01:21 AM9/14/08
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
I was wondering the same thing.  I know that one of my webapps still has this enabled, but I forget which one.
Thanks,
Kris Ziel
Ampersand Software Founder

On Sep 13, 2008, at 10:00 PM, topher wrote:

Anyone tested this yet?

Michael Stearne

Sep 15, 2008, 4:24:19 PM9/15/08
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
I am looking to test it. What is the meta tag to add to activate the
full-screen mode?

Thanks,
Michael

Michael Stearne

Sep 15, 2008, 4:26:20 PM9/15/08
to iphone...@googlegroups.com

Doesn't seem to work in the iPhone 2.1 simulator.

Michael

Andrew Isherwood

Sep 16, 2008, 10:59:57 AM9/16/08
to iphone...@googlegroups.com

Have just tried that meta tag in my app. Testing with iphone running
2.1 and no effect.

Am I correct in thinking that the navigation & toolbars should
dissapear?

/Andy

Chris Alexander

Sep 17, 2008, 2:18:43 AM9/17/08
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the navigation and toolbars should be gone.

Thanks for testing!

Topher

Sent from my iPhone

Jeremy Ruston

Sep 17, 2008, 11:16:13 AM9/17/08
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
I believe that the full screen functionality is only available if the
user adds the website to the home screen.

Cheers

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Ruston
mailto:jer...@osmosoft.com

Jonathan Belgourari

Sep 16, 2008, 8:28:35 AM9/16/08
to iPhoneWebDev
Doesn't work, just tested on iPhone 3G 2.1

Michael Stearne

Sep 16, 2008, 11:56:38 AM9/16/08
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 10:59 AM, Andrew Isherwood <an...@fotish.dk> wrote:

> Have just tried that meta tag in my app. Testing with iphone running
> 2.1 and no effect.
>
> Am I correct in thinking that the navigation & toolbars should
> dissapear?

I am thinking that is what they mean by full screen. This is a trivial
feature. They must we holding back on it because it competes with
native apps.

Michael

cyberguy

Sep 16, 2008, 11:26:25 PM9/16/08
to iPhoneWebDev
Yes, the navigation and toolsbars should go away. I've tried it myself
and it doesn't appear to work.

The 2 meta tags are:

translucent" />

this is in the 2008-09-09 Chapter 7, Configuring Web Applications
spec.

On Sep 16, 4:59 am, Andrew Isherwood <a...@fotish.dk> wrote:
> Have just tried that meta tag in my app. Testing with iphone running
> 2.1 and no effect.
>
> Am I correct in thinking that the navigation & toolbars should
> dissapear?
>
> /Andy
>
> On Sep 15, 2008, at 10:26 PM, Michael Stearne wrote:

> > Doesn't seem to work in the iPhone 2.1 simulator.
>
> > Michael
>
> > On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 4:24 PM, Michael Stearne
> > <mstea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I am looking to test it.  What is the meta tag to add to activate the
> >> full-screen mode?
>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Michael
>
> >> On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 12:01 AM, Kris Ziel <udt.seal.team....@mac.com

Michael Stearne

Sep 17, 2008, 12:02:41 PM9/17/08
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 11:16 AM, Jeremy Ruston <jeremy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe that the full screen functionality is only available if the
> user adds the website to the home screen.

Even in this case it seems (at least in the simulator) full screen
still doesn't work.

Michael

lee max

Sep 17, 2008, 2:02:07 PM9/17/08
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
Nothing happened!

Michael Stearne

Sep 17, 2008, 2:44:35 PM9/17/08
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 11:26 PM, cyberguy <larry...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, the navigation and toolsbars should go away. I've tried it myself
> and it doesn't appear to work.
>
> The 2 meta tags are:

> translucent" />
>
> this is in the 2008-09-09 Chapter 7, Configuring Web Applications
> spec.

Thanks

Jerrod H

Sep 26, 2008, 1:04:58 PM9/26/08
to iPhoneWebDev
It works!!!

Thanks so much for pointing me to this _new_ meta tag. I had the old
one lying dormant waiting for it to suddenly work, but this new tag
did the trick.

As was mentioned above, this only works once the app is added to your
home screen. Try it with mine:

http://www.ilounge.com/mobile/

- Jerrod

Chris Alexander

Sep 26, 2008, 2:21:37 PM9/26/08
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
Jerrod, Michael, Everyone

As the originator of this thread thanks so much!  I tried the iLounge link and sure enough it works!

Best regards,

Chris

Chrilith

Sep 28, 2008, 3:53:34 AM9/28/08
to iPhoneWebDev
Nice, but what is the purpose of this feature? Each time you tap on a
link it opens Safari.
Is it posibble to navigate from within the app itself?

On Sep 26, 8:21 pm, Chris Alexander <chrismalexan...@sbcglobal.net>

douglsmith

Sep 23, 2008, 9:19:08 PM9/23/08
to iPhoneWebDev
I just uploaded a simple HTML file to my server with the meta lines in
the <head> section. It worked fine for me, but only after I added the
page to my home screen and then launched it from that icon.

This is the only tag needed to make the navigation and toolbars go
away.

translucent" />
The second tag makes the page move up under the status bar where it
shows your carrier, time, and battery life. The status bar is still
present but translucent with my page showing through.

Chris Camphuisen

Sep 26, 2008, 4:21:37 PM9/26/08
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Is there a way to avoid a fullscreen webpage from scrolling in vertical direction ? I've tried several viewport settings but couldn't get safari to stop scrolling in a vertical direction. For more info please see attached screendumps:

this is what happens if I slide upwards : http://camphuisen.com/images/iphone/fingerup.png
this is what happens if I slide downwards : http://camphuisen.com/images/iphone/fingerdown.png

the text div height is only 440px ..

Thanks in advance

CC

Mijn Postvak In wordt beschermd door SPAMfighter
Download de gratis SPAMfighter vandaag nog!

dean.j.robinson

Sep 27, 2008, 5:53:21 AM9/27/08
to iPhoneWebDev
The iLounge link did nothing for me? doesn't even appear to have the
meta tags described above. However I have just replaced the meta tag I
was using on Hahlo.com with the two above and its working fine (after
I re-added the icon to the home screen).

However.

Within hahlo there are quite commonly links to sites other than
hahlo.com, but when running in full-screen mode clicking 'external'
links doesn't do anything, I would have expected it to do
something... can anyone provide further info about this, I've had a
quick look through the dev docs but couldn't see anything.

cheers

Dean

On Sep 27, 4:21 am, Chris Alexander <chrismalexan...@sbcglobal.net>

anmldr

Sep 27, 2008, 2:51:40 PM9/27/08
to iPhoneWebDev
I have looked for this document. Where can it be located?

TIA,
Linda

Pierre Bussière

Sep 28, 2008, 6:09:04 AM9/28/08
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
This feature is for Web apps, not Web sites. Since there is no back/
forward buttons, that wouldn't make sense otherwise.
Navigation within a true Web app is within a unique html page where
everything is done by Javascript, like in widgets. So in full screen
mode, it will print any new "screen" (not page) without re-opening
Safari.

Pierre

Chrilith

Sep 29, 2008, 2:58:37 PM9/29/08
to iPhoneWebDev
I just added fullscreen support to webapp.net
You can test the demo right now on http://webapp.net.free.fr/Demo/

The new version 0.3.9 will come the week. Don't miss it!! :)

Michael Stearne

Sep 29, 2008, 3:20:48 PM9/29/08
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
Works for me although the iLounge didn't work. Looks good.

Michael

Kris Ziel

Sep 30, 2008, 8:21:05 AM9/30/08
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
I have tried getting this work wonk on all sites, but I still can't
figure out how to get it working. I ad the icon to my homescreen, and
then I have reset the phone, and when it boots back up, clicking the
icon still loads it normally.

Pierre Bussière

Sep 30, 2008, 9:04:24 AM9/30/08
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
Well, I did it. In the head section of my html page :

translucent" />

Tested on an iPhone with firmware 2.1 : it works just fine.

Those are the only two things that are needed, aren't they ? Or does
it need these lines too ? They were already in my app :
width, maximum-scale=1, user-scalable=no">
<link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="Images/HomeScreenIcon.png">

MSS

Oct 13, 2008, 1:16:25 AM10/13/08
to iPhoneWebDev
Two very interesting/cool things I've found when testing the new meta-
tags that I thought I would share.

1) the apple-mobile-web-app-capable meta tag can be added via a
javascript bookmarklet to a page, and safari will save it as a
fullscreen webapp. Hence one can enable a fullscreen homepage
bookmark for a website that does not have this meta tag set on the
server. (The black-translucent value can be set on the other tag, but
it is overriden when the page loads with the default "white")
2) webapps that are fullscreen enabled can run concurrently with the
modal quicktime plug-in running in the background from standard mobile
safari. This is very cool because it means that you can start
listening to a podcast or other web audio in regular non-fullscreen
safari, the user can switch over to one of the homescreen bookmarked
fullscreen webapps to browse the web while listening in the
background. Of course this doesn't work real well over edge which is
probably one of the reasons we have a modal quicktime plugin. (a
corollary to this is that the quicktime plugin running from a
fullscreen webapp stops playing as soon as the webapp is minimized--
this actually leads me to believe that the fullscreen webapps are
running in a separate mobile safari application developed using the
iPhone SDK which doesn't allow background processes.)