Apple Releases Example Code

1 view

D. Rich

Jul 13, 2007, 2:45:59 PM7/13/07
to iPhoneWebDev
Apple Sample Code

This sample code project provides guidance on stylesheets, graphics,
basic user interaction, illustration of the use of JavaScript, and
techniques for interactive and standards-based design on iPhone.

-------

"Puzzler" is a fun and interactive game that illustrates the use of
web standards and JavaScript for the iPhone.

This application makes advanced usage of mouse-handlers for user-
input.

To play the game simply double-click or double-tap on any set of 2 or
more balls of the same color that are touching. The balls will
disappear and any balls above or to the left of the balls you just
eliminated will shift into new positions. The goal is to clear all the
balls from the screen.

You can download the code here (zip or dmg)
http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/Puzzler/

You can check out the game here:
http://developer.red-rome.com/examples/puzzler/

Canton

Jul 13, 2007, 3:06:44 PM7/13/07
to iphone...@googlegroups.com

>You can check out the game here:
>http://developer.red-rome.com/examples/puzzler/

In case some of you aren't up to 100 WPM with your fingertip yet,

http://tinyurl.com/2g9t9p

Meanwhile, feels like a terrible, terrible example of user interaction to me:

>To play the game simply double-click or double-tap on any set of 2 or
>more balls of the same color that are touching.

On my phone, "double-tapping" does nothing.

Single tapping turns a set of balls grey.

*very slowly single tapping twice in a row, making sure the interface
gives you feedback between taps* does the trick.

Instructions should read, "tap once to turn grey. Then tap again to
delete." We should not be mislead to believe that double-clicking
versus single-clicking behavior is now possible. :)

- canton

D. Rich

Jul 13, 2007, 5:32:28 PM7/13/07
to iPhoneWebDev
I have looked at the game and I am very UNimpressed.

1. They don't try to hide the address bar.
2. The reset button extends beyond the viewable area of the page.
3. The game doesn't rescale for landscape mode.
4. Landscape mode doesn't even seem like it was a consideration.
5. The games requires a double click to clear the balls, but a quick
double click will do nothing. Requires more of a tap, pause, tap.

D. Rich

Christopher Allen

Jul 13, 2007, 6:03:41 PM7/13/07
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
On 7/13/07, D. Rich <Dav...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have looked at the game and I am very UNimpressed.

1. They don't try to hide the address bar.
2. The reset button extends beyond the viewable area of the page.
3. The game doesn't rescale for landscape mode.
4. Landscape mode doesn't even seem like it was a consideration.
5. The games requires a double click to clear the balls, but a quick
double click will do nothing. Requires more of a tap, pause, tap.

Anyone up for rewriting their sample for the way it should be written ;-)

-- Christopher Allen

Randy Walker

Jul 13, 2007, 7:02:14 PM7/13/07
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
Is Apple F'ing with us? :)
The RDF is growing exponentially.

- "make an app on Safari mac and it's the same as Safari iphone"
*read:may "look" the same, won't act the same.
- setup a developer page that has the same info we've already uncovered on
our own.
- create a programming example that is less than what we've already come up
with on our own (cough cough, Joe, cough). It's like puzzler was for
beginning Javascript 101 and not specifically for iphone programming.
- Double click/double tap is NOT the same as tap, pause, tap.

I was really hoping it was a real double tap somehow. I got all happy, like
it could lead to other hidden gems for making Javascript run faster or
something. Don't have my iphone YET, and this seemed like some good news.
Select can be a replacement for drag-n-drop. Select where you want to drop,
then select what you want to drop there sort of thing. Like the chess game
for iphone.

Here's to a speedy iphone update that unties our hands a bit more.
(Wouldn't want all the restraints released at once, don't-cha-know. Wink
wink, nudge nudge)
-=Randy

Randy Walker

Jul 13, 2007, 7:04:26 PM7/13/07
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
Apple should hire us collectively/remotely.  I’ll gladly take an iphone and MBP as my first month’s salary.
-=Randy

AwayBBL

Jul 13, 2007, 7:47:03 PM7/13/07
to iPhoneWebDev
Sheesh... what would of been nice is a reference guide that clearly
spells out all the attributes that WORK, and those that DON'T.... Not
a program that some intern probably wrote and showed to Steve on an
elevator, and Steve said "That's insanely great". Sorry for being so
caustic, but come on Apple... we want the quality of the support for
developers to exceed the quality of the hardware!

On Jul 13, 7:04 pm, Randy Walker <cleverda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Apple should hire us collectively/remotely. I¹ll gladly take an iphone and
> MBP as my first month¹s salary.
> -=Randy
>

> On 7/13/07 3:03 PM, "Christopher Allen" <Christoph...@iPhoneWebDev.com>

> wrote:
>

> > On 7/13/07, D. Rich <Dave...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I have looked at the game and I am very UNimpressed.
>
> >> 1. They don't try to hide the address bar.
> >> 2. The reset button extends beyond the viewable area of the page.
> >> 3. The game doesn't rescale for landscape mode.
> >> 4. Landscape mode doesn't even seem like it was a consideration.
> >> 5. The games requires a double click to clear the balls, but a quick
> >> double click will do nothing. Requires more of a tap, pause, tap.
>
> > Anyone up for rewriting their sample for the way it should be written ;-)
>

> > -- Christopher Allen- Hide quoted text -

Randy Walker

Jul 13, 2007, 7:59:55 PM7/13/07
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
I just left feedback on the sample code document that specifically asked for
a document of things they programmed Safari for iphone to respond to, rather
than a list of what it doesn't respond to. The must have a list inhouse
that shows exactly the capabilities of Safari. Right? I can't imagine how
giving out that sort of information could hurt them in any way. It would
only make our lives easier, hence the look/feel of iphone apps better.

-=RAndy