iUI works well on Android G1 phone

Al

Oct 19, 2008, 1:29:19 PM10/19/08
to iPhoneWebDev
I stopped by a T-Mobile store yesterday to see if they had any G1
preview phones. They had 2 and it's likely that all the T-Mobile
shops have them now, for employee training. They were happy to let me
play with one. This phone/OS has a lot of potential indeed.

Good news. iUI web apps seem to work just fine on the G1. I tested a
couple of my web apps: http://imusicmash.com and http://imoviemash.com.
Both looked good in either portrait or landscape mode. All the ajax
goodness worked just fine as far as I can tell.

The first time you link directly to a YouTube video, it asks you if
you want to view using the browser or the native YouTube application.
You can save the preference, so subsequent clicks take you directly to
YouTube. And no temporary flash of the native YouTube app's video
history list like on the iPhone. It just goes directly to the
video. The video quality was a bit worse than my iPod Touch on wifi,
but possibly because we were on T-Mobile's 3G network. iPhone has
similar video resolution reduction when on its 3G network.

I did spot one minor iUI issue, for some iUI hyperlinks. Sometimes the
listArrow (greater than sign) on the right, was not right aligned. It
seemed to be indented a few spaces from the right edge. Seemed
random. This doesn't happen on firefox or regular safari.

The iui css for a hyperlink is:

body > ul > li > a {
display: block;
margin: -8px 0 -8px -10px;
padding: 8px 32px 8px 10px;
text-decoration: none;
color: inherit;
background: url(listArrow.png) no-repeat right center;
}

I can't seem to find an online G1 browser emulator anywhere, so can't
test some alternatives directly.. but I wonder if adding a line like
this may help:

background-position: right center,

Ishan Anand

Oct 19, 2008, 10:03:46 PM10/19/08
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Al <anev...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I can't seem to find an online G1 browser emulator anywhere, so can't
> test some alternatives directly.. but I wonder if adding a line like

Not sure if you're aware: You can try the G1 browser on your computer
by downloading the Android SDK and running the web browser in the G1
emulator. Not sure how accurately this reflects the actual phone
though.

In general, I've noticed that pages designed for the iPhone work for G1 but

- The version of WebKit in the G1 is older.
- The newest features like Javascript touch events and the like don't work.
- Occasionally you'll find a few things that behave different but
these tend to be minor.

-Ishan

Al

Oct 19, 2008, 11:49:19 PM10/19/08
to iPhoneWebDev
I'd love to use the SDK, but unfortunately it only runs on the latest
Intel based Macs. I'm on a good old Powerbook G4 :)

any ideas on why the ">" graphic on the right edge of iUI hyperlinks
don't always appear right adjusted on G1's browser?

Al

Ishan Anand

Oct 20, 2008, 2:20:18 PM10/20/08
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 8:49 PM, Al <anev...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'd love to use the SDK, but unfortunately it only runs on the latest
> Intel based Macs. I'm on a good old Powerbook G4 :)

Ah.

> any ideas on why the ">" graphic on the right edge of iUI hyperlinks
> don't always appear right adjusted on G1's browser?

I did try the iUI movie example in the simulator and it appears that
the entire page is offset a little to the left. For comparison I tried
iPhone Universal and it doesn't have this issue.

Rio

Oct 22, 2008, 11:50:37 AM10/22/08
to iPhoneWebDev
Exists something as viewport for G1 ? For example on my page

http://www.littlegolem.net/iphone/game.jsp?gid=941789

I have exactly defined behaviour of viewport:

scale=0.4812, maximum-scale=2.0, user-scalable=yes"/>

And I change it for different kind of games. For example chess (http://
www.littlegolem.net/iphone/game.jsp?gid=941431) has:

maximum-scale=1.0, user-scalable=no" />

Is for G1 something similar ?

Rio

Al

Nov 8, 2008, 2:56:27 AM11/8/08
to iPhoneWebDev
I found that the right edge of the iUI hyperlinks alignment problem is
solved on Android G1 phone by going to Browser's Menu > More >
Settings, and then disable the "Auto-fit pages" feature. iUI becomes
perfectly aligned all around.

The fonts on G1 don't look as good as on iPhone
any suggestions on how to fix that?

Al