GMail for iPhone

Kazuho Okui

Jul 5, 2007, 3:23:58 AM7/5/07
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Does anyone work on GMail for iPhone?

I've just started to develop GMail iPhone interface with Ruby on Rails.

http://www.naan.net/trac/wiki/igmail

This is first draft version. you can check out codes from my svn repository.

If you are interested in this project, please let me know.

Best regards,
Kazuho

Hardy Macia

Jul 5, 2007, 9:42:35 AM7/5/07
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
Why? You can access gmail directly on iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone from my gmail account.

Christopher Allen

Jul 5, 2007, 12:05:57 PM7/5/07
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
On 7/5/07, Hardy Macia <hardy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why? You can access gmail directly on iPhone.
>
> Sent from my iPhone from my gmail account.

Because using gmail from the mail interface on the iPhone sucks if you
have lots of filters. I have about 30 lists I subscribe to in gmail as
I find it the best way to read email lists. Most of these lists my
filters label and archive, and I read possibly once a week to catch
up.

Unfortunately, using iPhone's built in support for gmail in its mail
app will show you ALL of the incoming email from all your lists -- it
doesn't just show you the "inbox". Everything that is filtered to
archive is shown. There is no way to read mail from just specific
labels.

So I am using m.gmail.com's WML web pages, which is at least
tolerable, but not as good experience as the iPhone should offer.

-- Christopher Allen

Clint Ecker

Jul 5, 2007, 1:00:59 PM7/5/07
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
Christopher,

I think he's saying: "why not just go to http://gmail.com" No need to
go to a mobile version of the site as you've got what is essentially a
desktop-class browser on your iPhone.

I've done it and I think it's fine. You get the same interface you
use on your desktop. I find it very acceptable and I also use a lot
of filters.

Clint

--
Clint Ecker
Sr. Web Developer - Stone Ward Chicago

Mike Moore

Jul 5, 2007, 2:01:36 PM7/5/07
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
I haven't had much luck using the JavaScript GMail site, so I'm using
the HTML site instead.

http://mail.google.com/mail/h/

It works great.

Sent from iPhone.

DRichPro...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2007, 2:26:13 PM7/5/07
to iPhoneWebDev
I have used gmail.com directly in Safari on the iPhone, and it works
just like I was on the desktop.
I do agree that the Mail implementation of GMail was quite poor.
With all of the Apple/Google stuff, you would think it would be
better.

Mr.Negative

Jul 6, 2007, 1:31:33 PM7/6/07
to iPhoneWebDev
I can't seem to get gmail to work in safari on my iPhone. When I
compose messages, the text area for your message does not seem to take
the input "tap" I can't get focus in there to type any message.
Guess I can try the HTML version.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually like the standard mail
client on the iPhone. If they would just get it to translate gmail
filtered/archived messages as "folders" I'd be all set. I'd much
rather use the iPhone mail client than doing gmail through safari at
this point.

Dave Grijalva

Jul 11, 2007, 1:34:03 AM7/11/07
to iPhoneWebDev
I've come up with something of a round about solution. I setup a some
filters to forward most of my mail (the stuff that's not a mailing
list) to a Yahoo mail account. (Yahoo mail is free and unlimited.
Also, it's the only push IMAP you can get on the iPhone). Then I just
read my mail through there. The tricky the tricky part is setting it
up to send mail through the gmail account. You can do this by setting
up a custom IMAP account instead of using the built in Yahoo profile.
You use the special iphone imap server for incoming and your gmail
account info for outgoing. voila

-dave

ejbaba

Jul 11, 2007, 1:49:16 PM7/11/07
to iPhoneWebDev
Yes, you are all right, you can access gmail using safari on teh
iPhone - but - that is assuming you are on a decent wifi and not using
the crappy att edge network...

Have any of you used the gmail mobile app that can be downloaded for
the blackberry? It would be awesome if we could have a similar app
for the iphone - the app clusters all emails in discussions and
collapses them just like the web version - it is beautiful - there is
no need to open up safari - the app just constantly syncs and
downloads the emails and as you read emails - it syncs with the online
inbox. Just one button on your iphone homepage.

Much better than just receiveing each individual email one by one in
the inbox without clustering (come on - that is so 90's).

On Jul 5, 11:26 am, "DRichProducti...@gmail.com"

> > Sent from iPhone.- Hide quoted text -

Richard Wolff

Jul 11, 2007, 3:05:21 PM7/11/07
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
Sorry if this is covered in Apple's docs which I don't have handy for
several days.

I have .mac service from Apple and after a couple of days with my new
iP switched to it for email. Soon after, I noticed a different folder
structure and realized it was the same as .mac structure. I created a
new folder on .mac and now see it on my iP. Placing a message in the
new folder stores it back on .mac (off iP) but I can still see message
titles and pull them up.

Interesting concept and function that seems specific to .mac as mail
service.

=Richard

Sent from my iPhone

Sam

Jul 11, 2007, 4:29:52 PM7/11/07
to iPhoneWebDev
I'm having the same problem...can't send any messages because I can't
get into the message-writing field. I'm forwarding all my GMail to my
FastMail account (IMAP) so I can use the standard mail client.

Kazuho Okui

Jul 11, 2007, 5:55:42 PM7/11/07
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

iPhone has a Safari full browser. you can use original Gmail site. But
if you are in AT&T edge networks, it's very slow to load the page.
Even if you are using WiFi, it's still slow to load and compile big
gmail javascript file.

Using plane HTML version or mobile version of Gmail is good enough,
but you can't use AJAX stuff. I think it's not cool because iPhone has
a Safari full browser ;-)

So this is why I've been working on iGmail.

I've updated my test site ( http://igmail.naan.net ) It's still under
development, you only can read inbox mail... I've merged Joe's skin
and now it's much better to see your mail (it is just test. I'll
change all skin).

I will implement reading functions in this week then will implement
sending functions.

Christopher Allen

Jul 11, 2007, 6:13:22 PM7/11/07
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
When I need to read my gmail's on the iPhone, I've been using the mobile version at m.gmail.com -- it isn't fancy, but works great on Edge and doesn't require any zooming or pinching.

I do look forward to an iPhone Webapp class interface to Gmail.

-- Christopher Allen

ejbaba

Jul 11, 2007, 7:39:32 PM7/11/07
to iPhoneWebDev
Thanks - this has been the best suggestion thus far.

Hopefully google will get their act together and put out a version of
GMail Mobile for the iPhone soon...

On Jul 11, 3:13 pm, "Christopher Allen" <christoph...@gmail.com>

Dennis Quintela

Jul 11, 2007, 8:14:38 PM7/11/07
to iphone...@googlegroups.com, grij...@gmail.com
What's the iphone specific yahoo imap server address?  I can't see any of them on the iphone email account settings.  Do you still get push this way, or only if you use the "Yahoo" button on the iphone when setting up your mail account?

climr

Jul 11, 2007, 8:20:35 PM7/11/07
to iPhoneWebDev
I've been working on something in parallel... I figured multiple
people are working on this.

I'm using the open source glibmailer php library and a modified
version of gmail-lite that I've basically just modified slightly to
work well with the iphone. The gmail-lite guys (http://gmail-
lite.sourceforge.net/wordpress/) deserve the credit, but this is
working surprisingly well so far.

My motivation is to have a slim fast loading gmail app that doesn't
require me to zoom around just to glance at emails in my inbox...but
not quite as stripped down as m.gmail.com. I still want to be able to
view html emails if I want.

can't guarantee it's bug free, but feel free to check it out www.gmail4iphone.com

Brad

Nishant

Jul 13, 2007, 11:29:23 PM7/13/07
to iPhoneWebDev
Dave,

What is the Yahoo! IMAP incoming server for the iPhone? Can you please
share that with us?

Thanks,
Nishant

Matt

Jul 14, 2007, 10:20:07 AM7/14/07
to iPhoneWebDev
the standard version of gmail can be used with the one minor hitch of
getting into the reply and compose fields - this problem actually
seems to be a problem with the interaction with "rich formatting"

if you change things to "plain text" clicking into a compose or reply
field works fine - you wind up zoomed in to far most of the time - but
you can fix that and still click back into the text field

On Jul 11, 4:29 pm, Sam <samxngu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm having the same problem...can't send any messages because I can't

> get into the message-writing field. I'm forwarding all myGMailto my

> FastMail account (IMAP) so I can use the standard mail client.
>
> On Jul 6, 10:31 am, "Mr.Negative" <misternegat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I can't seem to getgmailto work in safari on my iPhone. When I

wmbutler

Jul 16, 2007, 11:54:17 PM7/16/07
to iPhoneWebDev
I get it....despite what the bozos below are saying. iPhone has no
java client out at the moment. I think an area where your app will
have even more longevity is if you allow it to login to google apps as
well. It basically uses the same server, but your username blank
should be able to handle a fully qualified email such as
us...@butler.net, instead of just user. If you can add that, I'll help
you test it.

I guess the only other piece is providing some statement indicating
that you are not viewing or storing usernames and passwords. That
might be the only other issue you would face in adoption. If you are
still actively developing this, we might also talk about ways you
could incorporate an ad on the login screen to bring in some
revenue...at least until the apps are fully developed for the iphone.