Reading the .mdbackup file on a PC to extract XML

E-Fighter

Feb 18, 2009, 10:54:00 AM2/18/09
to iPhoneWebDev
Okay this has been covered lightly before but i need help doing
something specific.

I am on a PC running windows XP. I sync my NOT-jailbroken iphone
through iTunes. I want to be able to take a backup of all my SMS
messages. I am able to find the directory where iTunes stores the
file:
3d0d7e5fb2ce288813306e4d4636395e047a3d28.mdbackup
this is the file with the sms backup. Okay this is where i get
confused. This file is either a PLIST or a binary PLIST file. i am
not sure which. i know it is not true binary because i see things
other than 1's and 0's in the file.

What i have tried....
http://lesterchan.net/plutil/index.php <-- didnt work. gave me
nothing as output.

http://iappcat.com/plist/bin2xml <-- gives me output but the output is
less meaningful than the input

http://insend.de/ <-- okay this one works from the free demo as far as
i could tell. but they want $5 for the whole file

Does anyone know of a way to accomplish what i am trying to do. from
what i have read the output should be either XML, or XML in a SQLite v
3 DB. but i just am at a loss. i dont know what the next step should
be.

Thanks.