Version 2.0 submitted to Apple

byron....@gmail.com

Jun 8, 2009, 4:25:09 AM6/8/09
to iPhone42s
Version 2.0 was submitted to Apple on Jun 1. Version 2.0 has several
GUI enhancements.

Les

Jun 9, 2009, 1:26:07 AM6/9/09
to iPhone42s
This is great news, Mr. Foster.

A friend compiled and sent me the v. 2 from source code so I have
gotten an advance look. I am quite delighted. In particular, I notice
a remarkable improvement in execution speed of my programs that go
through many iterations. I thought the v. 1 was rather slow compared
with and early version of Free42 I have gotten to experiment with. I
am grateful you remedied this.

I look forward to the official release and am proud to give my support
to this wonderful project.

Les Wright

byron....@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2009, 2:56:07 AM6/9/09
to iPhone42s
On Jun 8, 10:26 pm, Les <lcwright1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A friend compiled and sent me the v. 2 from source code so I have
> gotten an advance look. I am quite delighted. In particular, I notice
> a remarkable improvement in execution speed of my programs that go
> through many iterations. I thought the v. 1 was rather slow compared
> with and early version of Free42 I have gotten to experiment with. I
> am grateful you remedied this.

Hello Les, Yea, V 1.0 had some speed issues. Mainly this is to
compensate for what I believe are bugs in the iPhone event handling.
The upside is that it looks like iPhone OS 3.0 has fixed this.

In V1.0 there are forced pauses while running programs in order for
key handling to work properly. Of course these pauses are a huge
waste of time, but they are necessary to handle an R/S or EXIT key
press, otherwise the Calc is basically locked up.

These pauses have been removed in 2.0, and other enhancements have
been made such as better and smarter display handling. I'm glad to
see the performance increases independently verified, thanks!

Les

Jun 9, 2009, 10:51:52 PM6/9/09
to iPhone42s
I run Thomas' 68k decimal version of Free42 on an old Sony Clie, and
your version 1 is only perceptibly faster on my iPod touch. Your
Version 2 is comparable in speed to the Free42 works in progress I
have gotten from Thomas directly.

byron....@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2009, 1:35:44 AM6/10/09
to iPhone42s
Thomas implemented an elegant solution by running Free42 in a separate
thread. This avoids the issue, among others, of detecting key presses
while a program is running. I'v avoided this because it is non
trivial = work:), I'm hoping that OS 3.0 is good enough in fixing the
key event issue.

There more info in the discussion here:

http://code.google.com/p/free42iphone/issues/detail?id=9

Les

Jun 10, 2009, 11:33:45 PM6/10/09
to iPhone42s
Thanks Mr. Foster, it looks like this has been an actively considered
issue. As a user, I am just pleased that the speed seems better, since
running at the speed of the OS (as opposed to emulating the native
speed of the original calc, as does i41cx+) has long been the most
attractive feature of Free42 for me. (The high internal accuracy due
to BCD is a big plus too.) Computations that can take a few seconds on
the original complete in fraction of the time on Free42 and iPhone42s.

I check the App Store several times a day and still no sign of your
upgrade. Sorry to see that the process seems to take so long.

Les

Byron

Jun 11, 2009, 3:01:27 AM6/11/09
to iPhone42s
On Jun 10, 8:33 pm, Les <lcwright1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I check the App Store several times a day and still no sign of your
> upgrade. Sorry to see that the process seems to take so long.

Yea, it's taking a while this time. The first submission for V1.0
took only about 4-5 days, but no such luck this time around!

Les

Jun 13, 2009, 3:22:14 AM6/13/09
to iPhone42s
yes, App Store continues to dawdle. Still no love as of a few minutes
ago.

Byron

Jun 13, 2009, 10:37:35 PM6/13/09
to iPhone42s
It's taking a long time this time around, I don't know what the deal
is!

Jerrod H

Jun 15, 2009, 2:12:17 PM6/15/09
to iPhone42s
June 15th now, and it's LIVE!

Got it, and I'm extremely happy. Thanks, Byron!

- Jerrod