Shabbat Shalom App Live & Free : Feedback Here

Barry Schwartz

Sep 19, 2008, 8:40:41 AM9/19/08
to iPhone Siddur
http://www.rustybrick.com/iphone-shabbat.php

Get it at http://www.rustybrick.com/iphone-shabbat-get.php

Hit the "i" to add locations. We know of two small bugs already, that
we fixed on our side. We will wait until over the weekend to see the
feedback, before posting the update...

meytav

Sep 19, 2008, 9:03:13 AM9/19/08
to iPhone Siddur
Great program already used it for this shabbat

Ogn 19 ספטמבר, 15:40, Barry Schwartz <barry.schwa...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> http://www.rustybrick.com/iphone-shabbat.php
>
> Get it athttp://www.rustybrick.com/iphone-shabbat-get.php

Sam I Am 613

Sep 19, 2008, 10:59:03 AM9/19/08
to iPhone Siddur
Here are some comments on it, and how some of the functionality should
be added to the siddur. Some of the items in this long "QA report" are
very minor, or are enhancement requests. The enhancement requests are
something that you might want to only add to a version that I am
hoping you will port to the Siddur. If I come across anything else, I
will post them at a later time.

1- search for a city and click search. There is no feedback that a
search is happening and it gives the impression that it is frozen. It
eventually "unfreezes" when it find the location.
2 - try searching for Montreal, and you will see that the default city
name is truncated (Toronto looked fine). This is possibly caused by
the accented "e" in Montréal.
3 - Can you add this type of screen to the Luach functionality in
Siddur? Here are my suggestions
3a - The default Luach page wastes a lot of space with the date
wheel. Hide this "wheel" by default (a "Change Date" button can bring
it back) and make the list with the siddur background more like the
look of the Shabbat app (including icons)
3b - Instead of a long list of upcoming events (when "shokkeld"),
beautify the list the way the Shabat shalom app is.
3c - For each upcoming parsha, clicking in the event (currently
does nothing) should lead to a screen similar to the shabbos list with
details on that event
3d - the current shake to bring up the "Upcoming Jewish Events"
list is cute, but there should be a screen element that does the same.
It is not "discoverable".
3e - "Upcoming Jewish Events" list is currently the only "full
screen" screen in the application. The siddur itself could benefit
from a full screen. I would suggest a "floating" semi transparent icon
to bring up the bottom menu. For an example of this, see the way this
is done in the Remote Desktop Lite that you blogged about at
http://www.cartoonbarry.com/2008/08/remote_desktop_on_iphone.html .
3f - Maybe add the challa to the program icon. The current "Shabat
Shalom" does not match the rest of your apps that use an icon.
3g - In the proposed siddur update, the Havdala time can use the
settings in the Siddur for what time should be used.
3h - the "local Time" display doesn't update as the time changes.
3i - clicking on "Next Week" should bring up next week's panel.
3j - clicking on a location in the locations edit list should
allow editing the location.
3k - the display name for a town by default shows the zip.
3L - locations that have multiple matches should return a list
that the user can select (try this in the 2 free whitepages apps for
the iphone). Searching for "Brooklyn" the app, defaults to Brooklyn,
Alabama, not something most users would expect.
3m - There should be an end of shabbos offset as there is for
candle lighting, instead of defaulting to 45.
3n- possibly show Friday Shkiah time as well as candle lighting.

On Sep 19, 8:40 am, Barry Schwartz <barry.schwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.rustybrick.com/iphone-shabbat.php
>
> Get it athttp://www.rustybrick.com/iphone-shabbat-get.php

Sam I Am 613

Sep 19, 2008, 11:43:53 AM9/19/08
to iPhone Siddur
Crossposting from my comment on your blog, here are suggestions for a
"Tishray" app. These should eventually be ported to the siddur. This
would include:
1 - Hataras nedarim
2 - Hoshanas for Chol hamoed (holding the 4 minnim and an iPhone
mihgt be too much)
3 - Ushpizin for chol hamoed (with the Layshev bracha)
4 - tashlich (can be said till hoshana rabba)
5 - kapparos
6 - links to "how to build a sukkah". From a google search, the
first one points to:
http://www.myjewishlearning.com/holidays/Sukkot/Overview_Sukkot_at_Home/Sukkah/Isaacs_Laws_339/Building_Sukkah.htm
. There are many more sites.
7 - virtual banging hoshanas (aravos) and see the leaves fall off
as you shake it :) This is sort of a match to the Shofar :)
8 - Maybe build the Shofar into this app.

Feed Me Bubbe

Sep 19, 2008, 3:24:54 PM9/19/08
to iPhone Siddur
I love this app I am playing with it now. i love the idea of all of
these separate apps for free for those Jews that would benefit which
is a real mitzvah. I also like the idea of testing it out in the free
universe to get more people to look at it and then having it all be
combined once it is ready into the siddur. Amazing job that you are
all doing and what a mitzvah.

Barry Schwartz

Sep 22, 2008, 12:04:42 PM9/22/08
to iPhone Siddur
Just wanted to let you know that we hear you and we will work on a
whole new UI for the luach.

On Sep 19, 11:43 am, Sam I Am 613 <samiamnot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Crossposting from my comment on your blog, here are suggestions for a
> "Tishray" app. These should eventually be ported to the siddur. This
> would include:
>     1 - Hataras nedarim
>     2 - Hoshanas for Chol hamoed (holding the 4 minnim and an iPhone
> mihgt be too much)
>     3 - Ushpizin for chol hamoed (with the Layshev bracha)
>     4 - tashlich (can be said till hoshana rabba)
>     5 - kapparos
>     6 - links to "how to build a sukkah". From a google search, the
> first one points to:http://www.myjewishlearning.com/holidays/Sukkot/Overview_Sukkot_at_Ho...

Victor Grazi

Sep 22, 2008, 12:13:31 PM9/22/08
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
One more feature would be nice for Luach - the ability to add events
to the calendar

On Sep 22, 2008, at 12:04 PM, Barry Schwartz

Ronnie Schwartz

Sep 22, 2008, 12:16:30 PM9/22/08
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
Once apple allows us to do that, it is in there :)
Ronnie Schwartz
RustyBrick
ron...@rustybrick.com
www.rustybrick.com

Gaby

Sep 23, 2008, 11:03:27 AM9/23/08
to iPhone Siddur
Can you display the english as well as the hebrew date ?