Iperf3 License Queries

Balaji G

Apr 19, 2011, 11:31:51 PM4/19/11
to iper...@googlegroups.com, Kevin Fenzi
Hello Everyone

I am packaging the IPerf version 3 for fedora and hopefully would become the maintainer of it in fedora. Just wanted to know couple of things. There are some source files in which the license says as

"/*
 * Copyright (c) 2009, The Regents of the University of California, through
 * Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (subject to receipt of any required
 * approvals from the U.S. Dept. of Energy).  All rights reserved.
"

I am just curious to know about the implications of this All rights reserved phrase in the license. In some Source Files i don't see the license so just want to know whether iperf 3 would still be licensed under BSD and if yes then the license put under some source files which has those phrases mentioned above, will that have an implication as such ?

Thanks for your time.

Cheers,
  - Balaji

Jon Dugan

Apr 20, 2011, 4:35:00 PM4/20/11
to Balaji G, iperf-dev, Kevin Fenzi

Excerpts from Balaji G's message of Tue Apr 19 22:31:51 -0500 2011:
Hello,

Thanks for looking into packaging Iperf for Fedora.

I have updated the LICENSE file to be the standard LBNL open source license
which I believe is a normal BSD license, but I am not a lawyer.

The LICENSE in this file:

http://code.google.com/p/iperf/source/browse/trunk/LICENSE

is the license for the entire project. I have updated all the source files to
refer to that LICENSE.

Does that answer your question?

I should let you know that Iperf 3 is beta software. It mostly works but it
still needs some cleanup. It is also not backwards compatible with Iperf 2.

Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns,

Jon

Balaji G

Apr 21, 2011, 12:05:06 AM4/21/11
to Jon Dugan, Kevin Fenzi, iperf-dev

Hi
Thanks a lot for changing the license and also for providing the info. Will certainly get back if i have some queries
   Balaji

On 21 Apr 2011 02:05, "Jon Dugan" <jdu...@es.net> wrote:

Excerpts from Balaji G's message of Tue Apr 19 22:31:51 -0500 2011:

> Hello Everyone
>
> I am packaging the IPerf version 3 for fedora and hopefully would become the

Balaji G

Apr 21, 2011, 1:56:05 AM4/21/11
to Jon Dugan, Kevin Fenzi, iperf-dev
Hi Jon

I have an other query, just had a look at the License file and i see the line "All rights Reserved" , What does that connote to ?.

It would be really helpful if you can you clarify this point.

Cheers,
  - Balaji

Jon Dugan

Apr 21, 2011, 12:40:03 PM4/21/11
to Balaji G, Kevin Fenzi, iperf-dev
Excerpts from Balaji G's message of Thu Apr 21 00:56:05 -0500 2011:

> Hi Jon
>
> I have an other query, just had a look at the License file and i see the
> line "All rights Reserved" , What does that connote to ?.
>
> It would be really helpful if you can you clarify this point.

I am not a lawyer so I'm not qualified to clarify this point. Copyright law
is a large, complex and often counterintuitive topic. However, I do notice
that the OSI page on the BSD license includes "All rights reserved." in it's
template:

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php

Based on that and looking at a few other BSD licensed projects it appears to
be a standard part of the BSD license. I can't clarify it other than to say
it appears to be a accepted part of the BSD license.

Hope that helps,

Jon

Aaron Brown

Apr 21, 2011, 1:43:01 PM4/21/11
to iper...@googlegroups.com, Balaji G, Kevin Fenzi
On Apr 21, 2011, at 12:40 PM, Jon Dugan wrote:

Excerpts from Balaji G's message of Thu Apr 21 00:56:05 -0500 2011:
Hi Jon

I have an other query, just had a look at the License file and i see the
line "All rights Reserved" , What does that connote to ?

That's a standard line of licensing that, apparently, is not strictly necessary, but generally done(IANAL): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_rights_reserved .

Cheers,
Aaron

.