Printing and the iPad

Howard J Martin

Apr 30, 2012, 7:24:12 AM4/30/12
to ipads-in-...@googlegroups.com
The iPad Academy published some tips on printing with the iPad. These are great examples of how you can print from the iPad at home or on a simple network.   The tips mostly rely on 'printing from the same wireless network', which most likely will be a problem inside Austin ISD. The iPads that connect to the wireless network are actually on a different 'subnet' or part of the network for security reasons.  It is the same issue we have with not being able to sync by Wifi.

So, I'm sharing their options (http://ipadacademy.com/2012/03/how-to-print-from-your-ipad-summary-of-printer-and-printing-options) because more people are asking about these types of options for their classroom.  Be aware that, in general, these may not work in AISD.

On the SXSiPad agenda link (now on the left side of the iPad User's Group website), you will see a link to 'printing from the iPad'.  These directions do work, but currently only for printing from Google Docs. It works well, but provide limited printing.

Sally Duncan

May 3, 2012, 7:49:23 PM5/3/12
to ipads-in-...@googlegroups.com
I haven't tried printing from an ipad, but.. what if you took a
wireless netgear router and selected it on the ipad and connected the
printer to it..

Would it be on the same network?

I'm just thinking out loud which I probably shouldn't do..

Sally

H Martin

May 4, 2012, 1:49:39 PM5/4/12
to ipads-in-...@googlegroups.com
Sally, at home, something like that would work.    Inside the school district, our wireless is very different, and we are not supposed to add our own wireless printers to the network.

Sorry.

Howard