Blokes, it is your turn to celebrate. Publication Date: 20-NOV-03

Gany

Dec 5, 2008, 12:37:39 AM12/5/08
to International Men's Day
- Blokes, it is your turn to celebrate.

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-19425528_ITM

(From Canberra Times)

Source: Asia Africa Intelligence Wire
Publication Date: 20-NOV-03

Australian men may still earn more, on average, than women and men are
more common in the top ranks of Australian companies. But men still
need an international day to promote positive images of manhood and
highlight the physical, social and emotional issues affecting them,
according to ACT Men's Health and Wellbeing Association president Phil
Gouldson. ''International Men's Day is about celebrating manhood and
contribution and achievements men make to the people in our
communities, society and environment,'' Mr Gouldson said. ''It is also
about being proud to be a man. Society has developed a very negative
view of men and too often depicts manhood as bad, focusing on 'men
behaving badly' or men as uncaring. ''It is time we started changing
our consciousness and attitudes about men and boys. Many men,
especially young men, in our society are struggling, confused, hurting
and lost.'' Mr Gouldson said male's health and wellbeing was abysmal.
He formed the association to raise awareness about issues affecting
men's health and wellbeing. ''Our families, the general public,
health- care workers, educators and policy-makers all need to
understand and consider masculinity and come together to create a
better and safer world where boys can grow into men who take an active
role in creating a better and safer world for all as teachers, carers,
lovers, leaders, partners, supporters, healers and mentors,'' he said.
International Men's Day was celebrated yesterday but for more
information about the ACT Men's Health and Wellbeing Association,
contact hummin...@ozemail.com.au.