How to Run Portal 2

Ash

Apr 26, 2011, 7:21:54 AM4/26/11
to 9xx Soldiers sans frontiers
HI everyone

This is a small guide by me on how to run portal 2

My specs:

Intel Dual core E5300
Intel 945 Gm
1GB Ram
Windows 7 32bit

I am using sherry driver 1.2

Instructions on How to Run the Game

1. Download or Buy the game btw i have downloaded a rip just to test
(If you like the game buy it)

2. Install the game

3.Go to the settings and set every thing to low

4. Enable console

5.Now run the game

6. Press ESC and open the console by pressing ( ` )

7. Write this command and press enter mat_postprocess_enable 0

8. The black screen issue will be fixed and you can then play the game

Notes:

1. Fps is between 4 -20 and sometime it goes to 30

2. The game lags here and there

3. Takes time in first level while we are in a bedroom kinda thingy
and lags when its broken

4. Basically the structure in game is broken and it lags when there is
broken structure

Tips:

1. Look at the ground when you start to lag same do the same when
there is broken structure

2.Get this config i dont know if it gives a fps boot but heres the
link http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?p=226702

Crashes:

I dont know where i was in portal 2 but the game started to hang and
there was black screen + corrupted sound and my computer restarted. It
happened again but this time I pressed alt ctrl del and maximized the
game again and it was working

I have not completed the game so it may crash later on

Thats It

Enjoy

Ash

Apr 26, 2011, 8:17:46 AM4/26/11
to 9xx Soldiers sans frontiers
btw heres the gameplay of portal 2 on intel 945 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAp8xUPiOqA
> linkhttp://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?p=226702

renatourbano2k

May 3, 2011, 5:30:36 AM5/3/11
to 9xx Soldiers sans frontiers
up this is important!

:D

Tekk Noir

May 9, 2011, 6:02:06 AM5/9/11
to 9xx Soldiers sans frontiers
I'm doing similar things and getting some results, but there are still
a few weird graphical bugs I don't seem to have a fix for...

Unfortunately I don't have screenshots, but hopefully I can describe
them..

The first bug is portals. When I fire a portal it doesn't have the
coloured border, it's just like a hole in the wall, so I can't tell
which portal is blue and which is orange. The ghost portal borders
(When your portal is behind something) are working fine, but when the
portal isn't behind something I can't tell if it's blue or orange.

The next bug is the portal gun itself. The gun has a glass tube on
it, which has some sparkly coloured thing floating in it, but this
just renders as a weird coloured tube, usually green or red or
something.

Another thing is water. Water looks completely white most of the
time, until I pick up an object. When I'm carrying an object, the
water is normal coloured, but as soon as I drop whatever I'm carrying,
the water turns white again. It's very odd.

Another bug I've found so far is paint/gel. The different coloured
paints come out as some funky multicoloured blobs, and don't seem to
leave any paint on surfaces. For example, if I spray blue gel on a
surface, I can't see that the surface is painted blue, it just looks
pretty much like any other wall. There's no decals to show that it's
painted, but if I get at a close angle I can see a sort of faint blue
sheen on the surface. It makes the paint levels really difficult,
lol.

Does anyone know any way to fix these problems?

Maybe it's just my hardware, but it ran portal 1 and HL2 so well I
thought it might play a little better than it does. I don't mind the
framerate drops so much, because the gameplay itself is extremely
compelling.

I don't want to take this to the valve forums, because they're mostly
user responses, and there are a lot of users who will just tell me my
machine is crap and I need to buy a new one, rather than actually
solve the technical problems. I figured there's a much better chance
you guys can help ^_^

The screen always starts black and I need to enter this to see
anything:
mat_postprocess_enable 0

Starting the game with -dxlevel 90 doesn't seem to help. The GMA950
should be a dxlevel 92 card, but changing the setting doesn't seem to
help. After looking in some of the content with GCFscape, there are
certainly materials and shader effects for directx 8 level cards, so I
don't know why it has so many problems.

I will admit though, my machine is a bit crap ;)

If it helps:
I'm running on an NC10 netbook (GMA950, 1GB RAM, Atom N270 processor
(1.6GHz))

Windows 7

And I'm using the autoexec.cfg file outlined in the TF2 settings
thread above with some modifications, mostly trying to lower the
physics settings (Most noticeable slowdowns are when looking at water
or some types of glass, large complicated areas, and anything with
heavy use of physics, such as panel movements etc). I might have
entered some settings twice, but it doesn't really matter so much as
the last instance takes precedence. Here are my modifications, added
to the autoexec.cfg file above, just before the bit where it says
sv_cheats "0".....

cl_portal_use_new_dissolve "0"
cl_useoldswapportalvisibilitycode "1"
r_portal_use_complex_frustums "0"
fx_new_sparks "0"
r_jiggle_bones "0"
r_WaterDrawReflection "0"
r_WaterDrawRefraction "0"
sv_turbophysics "1"
cl_phys_maxticks "1"
r_3dsky "0"
r_sse "1"
r_sse2 "1"
r_mmx "1"
props_break_max_pieces "0"
rope_smooth_maxalphawidth "0"
rope_smooth_maxalpha "0"
rope_smooth_enlarge "0"
rope_wind_dist "0.01"
rope_subdiv "0"
rope_smooth_minwidth "0"
rope_smooth_minalpha "0"
rope_averagelight "0"
rope_smooth "0"
rope_shake "0"
rope_collide "0"
cl_ragdoll_collide "0"
cl_phys_props_max "50"
r_maxmodeldecal "0"
r_drawmodeldecals "0"
mat_softwarelighting "1"

Jose Villegas (MADBEAST)

May 9, 2011, 11:02:37 AM5/9/11
to 9xx Soldiers sans frontiers
GREAT GREAT GREAT JOB boys, really proud of you for making this
post...
thanks for helping the brothers with this game!!

Abhishek Indoria

May 9, 2011, 11:44:33 AM5/9/11
to intel9x...@googlegroups.com
Wait, doesn't portal 2 works with -dxlevel 80?!?!

--
9xx SOLDIERS SANS FRONTIERS

Ash

May 9, 2011, 12:14:13 PM5/9/11
to 9xx Soldiers sans frontiers
nope portal 2 does not support dx-level 80. portal 1 does but not 2

and for the graphical glitches i might wait for driver v1.3
lets see if it gives good graphics and fps boost

aakoj

May 9, 2011, 1:40:12 PM5/9/11
to 9xx Soldiers sans frontiers
what the hell is dxlevel 80??????????????????????

On May 9, 7:44 am, Abhishek Indoria <indoriaabhis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wait, doesn't portal 2 works with -dxlevel 80?!?!
>
> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 8:32 PM, Jose Villegas (MADBEAST) <

Abhishek Indoria

May 9, 2011, 3:26:17 PM5/9/11
to intel9x...@googlegroups.com
aakoj : A way to run valve games in DIRECT X 8.0 instead of DirectX9. There's also Dxlevel 70 :P But that's the limit. I think I have written a guide on the 9xxssf.net63.net somewhere.
FOUND IT :P http://9xxssf.net63.net/forum/index.php?/topic/53-how-to-run-portal-in-gma-950/

aakoj

May 10, 2011, 12:30:53 AM5/10/11
to 9xx Soldiers sans frontiers
nice is it posiible to other games i.e is only valve games are
playable ?????????????????

On May 9, 11:26 am, Abhishek Indoria <indoriaabhis...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> aakoj : A way to run valve games in DIRECT X 8.0 instead of DirectX9.
> There's also Dxlevel 70 :P But that's the limit. I think I have written a
> guide on the 9xxssf.net63.net somewhere.
> FOUND IT :Phttp://9xxssf.net63.net/forum/index.php?/topic/53-how-to-run-portal-i...

Abhishek Indoria

May 10, 2011, 1:15:45 AM5/10/11
to intel9x...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm...Only the games which use Source Engine, just maybe a few other games (Vampire:Masquerade Bloodlines etc..) which use that feature.

Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_engine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Source_engine_games

Tekk Noir

May 11, 2011, 8:15:32 AM5/11/11
to 9xx Soldiers sans frontiers
Just an update to my earlier post:

In the additional autoexec.cfg vars I added, I used
sv_turbophysics "1"

However, I have since discovered that this prevents gravity tunnels
from working correctly. Additionally, changing the option once the
game has loaded doesn't seem to help, so it's better to leave this
line out of the autoexec.cfg altogether, at least for the levels where
gravity tunnels are involved.

Still haven't come up with a solution to the other problems, but will
update if I come across something that helps.

matejdro

May 11, 2011, 6:25:41 AM5/11/11
to 9xx Soldiers sans frontiers
Can anyone try this solution:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22150623&postcount=1096

I have tried, but my Portal 2 crashed after map loading screen.

Namige

May 11, 2011, 3:21:20 PM5/11/11
to 9xx Soldiers sans frontiers
dxlevel is directx level. dxlevel 80 is directx level 8.0. Simples.