rake install failed, gem install rdiscount failed

tates

Aug 1, 2008, 3:05:29 AM8/1/08
to Insoshi
Who can help me find the problem?
Thanks a lot!

>rake install
(in C:/rails/railsapp/insoshi)
rake install
These gems that this application depends on are missing:
- rdiscount
Run "rake gems:install" to install them.
rake aborted!
uninitialized constant CreateLocalKeys::Crypto

>rake gems:install
rake gems:install
(in C:/rails/railsapp/insoshi)
gem.bat install rdiscount
ERROR: Error installing rdiscount:

c:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb install rdiscount
checking for random()... no
checking for srandom()... no
checking for funopen()... no
checking for fopencookie()... no
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
details. You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
--with-opt-dir
--without-opt-dir
--with-opt-include
--without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
--with-opt-lib
--without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
--with-make-prog
--srcdir=.
--curdir
--ruby=c:/ruby/bin/ruby
--with-rdiscount-dir
--without-rdiscount-dir
--with-rdiscount-include
--without-rdiscount-include=${rdiscount-dir}/include
--with-rdiscount-lib
--without-rdiscount-lib=${rdiscount-dir}/lib
extconf.rb:11: No funopen or fopencookie support available.
(RuntimeError)

Gem files will remain installed in c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/
rdiscount-1.2.6.2 for inspection.
Results logged to c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rdiscount-1.2.6.2/ext/
gem_make.out

Michael Hartl

Aug 2, 2008, 1:34:24 AM8/2/08
to ins...@googlegroups.com
rdiscount is a new Markdown library we just switched to, replacing
(the very slow) BlueCloth. It builds from C source, though, so I
wouldn't be surprised if Windows users have some trouble. (Catching
stuff like this is why we have edge Insoshi.) As far as the crypto
library goes, I don't know. Has anyone had these same troubles?

Maybe try running the installation under Cygwin and seeing how that goes.

Michael

--
Michael Hartl
Insoshi social software

Long Ouyang

Aug 23, 2008, 12:19:43 AM8/23/08
to Insoshi
I'm trying to set up a fork of Insoshi on Cygwin and ran into the same
problem - rdiscount won't install.

Long Ouyang

Aug 23, 2008, 12:39:44 AM8/23/08
to Insoshi
Sorry for replying twice - I didn't have the foresight to check the
install logs at first. I think the root of the issue is that gem
install can't find funopen() and fopencookie() (cf.
http://github.com/rtomayko/rdiscount/commit/07d325a6a494eb371c49e4264aa2db411d1d7d8a).

However, funopen() and fopencookie() exist in /usr/include/newlib.h
within my Cygwin installation - I'm at a loss as to how to tell "gem
install" to find it.

Long Nguyen

Aug 23, 2008, 3:45:11 PM8/23/08
to ins...@googlegroups.com
How did you do the rubygems install? If it's out of the context of cygwin then it might not know how to set the proper include/library directories.  (Although locations such as /usr/lib and /usr/include are fairly standard and are pretty much set by default by the compiler/linker.)

Also, take a look at the gem directory for the config/make files to see what compiler it's using.  If you have any Microsoft compilers (Visual C++ or the C/C++ dev kit), it might be picking those up instead of what you're expecting.

Long
--
Long Nguyen
long....@insoshi.com

Michael Hartl

Aug 23, 2008, 7:31:16 PM8/23/08
to ins...@googlegroups.com
We removed the RDiscount dependency in edge a while back; I've just
pushed out a merge with master, so do a pull from GitHub and this
problem should go away.

Michael