Git for YUI3 update?

Thomas Koch

Nov 26, 2008, 7:16:04 AM11/26/08
to inputex
While updating to YUI3, could you also switch to GIT (which will be used
by YUI3, too)?
It would not only ease general contribution to inputEx a lot, but also
allow people to develop their own widgets on top of inputEx more easily,
even if they don't make it into the official inputEx.

Reasons for not putting widgets in the official inputEx
* They are programmed too sloopy (should happen...)
* Company doesn't want to share
* Too specialized

Best regards,
--
Thomas Koch, Software Developer
http://www.koch.ro

Young Media Concepts GmbH
Sonnenstr. 4
CH-8280 Kreuzlingen
Switzerland

Tel +41 (0)71 / 508 24 86
Fax +41 (0)71 / 560 53 89
Mobile +49 (0)170 / 753 89 16
Web www.ymc.ch

bkc

Nov 26, 2008, 8:05:48 AM11/26/08
to inputex
Aha,

the other day while working on json-schema I was thinking "gosh, it'd
be great to have distributed version control for this project, then I
could check in my changes and be able to rollback if I make a
mistake".

Of course I was thinking of bazaar at the time.. ;-)

I suppose I could learn git too.

Mingfai

Nov 28, 2008, 9:24:16 AM11/28/08
to inp...@googlegroups.com
hi Thomas,

perhaps in the future, git may replace svn, just like svn replaced cvs in the past. I see that more and more project use git.

and my comment:
  •  yui3 uses git doesn't mean we should use git, i can't see the logical relationship
  • many ppl, incl. me, is familar with svn. switching to git may affect our productivity
  • does everyone of us use IDE/tool that support git? My IDE (Intellij IDEA) doesn't seem to support it
  • is github.com the only place that support git? is it more reliable than google code? Perhaps the YUI team should provide a reliable git platform to open source YUI based projects :-)
if we want to make the move, sb has to do the initial work and demontrate the value of the move, as well as provide support to those who are not familar with the new platform, or do not have time to learn.

The point about easier contribution is noted. There are always pro and con.

regards,
mingfai

bkc

Nov 28, 2008, 10:05:53 AM11/28/08
to inputex
The point of Git or Bazaar is that they are distributed...

But I think that value is lost if you're tied to github. I think I
remember reading a commentary somewhere that using github w/ git gets
you nothing better than subversion.

Is that true?

Patrick Donelan

Nov 30, 2008, 8:11:17 PM11/30/08
to inp...@googlegroups.com

Github is a really nice community/social/gui layer on top of git, and it probably makes some things easier for git newcomers, but since git is decentralised you're really never tied to it. After all, the whole point is that there isn't a single authoratative repository somewhere.

Cheap branching was the killer feature that got me to switch. But the beauty of git is that it plays nicely with other repos. For example, almost all of the projects I actively contribute to still use svn, but that doesn't stop me from using git and getting all of its advantages locally and then using git-svn to talk to the public svn repo.

Patrick