Issue 7 in information-artifact-ontology: definition of software

1 view

codesite...@google.com

Nov 27, 2008, 7:41:01 PM11/27/08
to informatio...@googlegroups.com
Owner: mcourtot
Labels: Type-Term Priority-Medium

New issue 7 by mcourtot: definition of software
http://code.google.com/p/information-artifact-ontology/issues/detail?id=7

Hi,

The term software has been added to IAO (IAO_0000010) but is lacking a
definition.

The latest consensus on the OBI side was:
* Software entity: series of encoded instructions that can be directly
executed by a CPU, or transformed in to a form that can be. For
programming texts that are syntactically correct and which are in a
language that can be executed by an interpreter this would correspond
to the tokenized version of the text stripped of comments.

The original OBI tracker item is available at
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1958818&group_id=177891&atid=886178

Are we happy with this or do we want to revisit?

Thanks,
Melanie

http://code.google.com/hosting/settings

Frank Gibson

Nov 28, 2008, 3:58:56 AM11/28/08
to informatio...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Software is present in sepCV with the following definition:

definition Software is the general term for a variety of procedures
and routines that harness the computational power of a computer to
produce, for example, a general operating system that coordinates the
basic workings of the computer or specific applications. A common
misconception is that software is data. It is not. Software tells the
hardware how to process the data.
definition: source West's Encyclopedia of American Law:software"The
Gale Group Inc 1998. Answers.com 15 Nov. 2006.
http://www.answers.com/topic/computer-software."

There is probably scope to merge the two defintions together. However,
I would like the existannce of the sepCV term recognised in IAO if
possible

Frank
--
Frank Gibson, PhD