What is an Information Service?

Bob Ferris

Jun 24, 2010, 9:16:31 AM6/24/10
to info-service-ontolog...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

FYI, I added yesterday an explanation of the term 'information service'
in the Info Service Ontology blog[1]. Please feel free to add comments,
suggestions and critics to establish this definition as a strong definition.

Cheers,

Bob

[1]
https://infoserviceonto.wordpress.com/2010/06/23/what-is-an-information-service/

Bob Ferris

Jun 25, 2010, 2:31:14 PM6/25/10
Am 24.06.2010 16:30, schrieb mats...@gmail.com:
> Hi,
>
> I notice from this definition that is looks similar to a
> bibo:Collection. Maybe this relationship should be investigated further.

Yes, as already discussed in the chats ;) , we have to figure out the
relations to existing ontologies.
These associations could be done in (more or less, so far as I know)
three ways:

1. :my_instance_of_something a ns:is_Info_Service_related_concept ,
is:InfoService .

2. ns:is_Info_Service_related_concept owl:equivalentClass is:InfoService
. # this is maybe the most strongest relation

3. ns:is_Info_Service_related_concept rdfs:subClassOf is:InfoService . #
this expresses a bit stronger that ns:is_Info_Service_related_concept is
a part of is:InfoService

Next to bibo:Collection[1], we figured out the following interesting
concepts re. is:InfoService today:

- void:Dataset[2]
- soic:Space[3]

I will contact the specific mailing lists somehow re. this issue.
In general, I think that the specific definitions of the 'candidate'
concepts are (often) somehow orthogonal to the definition of information
service. That's why it might be enough to define a 'best practice' re.
suggesting association case '1.' for typing instances with a
is:InfoService association. However, that depends all on the views of
the specific specification definition groups, if they think there could
also be a stronger interlinking between these ontology concepts, then
here we go ;)

Cheers,

Bob

[1]