210311-PR-1 To ID-Chennai

Padmini Raghavan

Mar 20, 2011, 1:57:38 PM3/20/11
to indiantreepix
Please help me id this tree in a park at Chennai which had only these seeds on it and no flowers.

(The seed capsules reminded me of those of Berrya cordifolia.)
Thanks,
Padmini Raghavan.
At TS- to ID -only seeds, no flowers 001.jpg
At TS- to ID -only seeds, no flowers 002.jpg
At TS- to ID -only seeds, no flowers 003.jpg
A tree to ID - seeds 002.jpg
A tree to ID - seeds 006.jpg
A tree to ID - seeds 012.jpg

Rashida Atthar

Mar 21, 2011, 4:25:42 AM3/21/11
to Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix

Guessing it to be perhaps  Holoptelea integrifolia Planch

Please also note:  If one checks the Kew plant list it is mentioned as an  unresolved name.

regards,
Rashida.

Pardeshi S.

Mar 21, 2011, 4:39:33 AM3/21/11
to efloraofindia
Holoptlia integrifolia has one seeded fruit.
the fruit is resembling Berrya cordifoia (the wings) and tat of
Kleinhoevia hospita.

satish pardeshi

On Mar 21, 1:25 pm, Rashida Atthar <atthar.rash...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Guessing it to be perhaps  Holoptelea integrifolia Planch
>
> Please also note:  If one checks the Kew plant list it is mentioned as an
>  unresolved name.
>
> regards,
> Rashida.

Rashida Atthar

Mar 21, 2011, 5:06:29 AM3/21/11
to Pardeshi S., efloraofindia
Pardeshi ji,  Kleinhovia can be ruled out because Kleinhovia leaves are cordate and very different from the one in the pictures, even the fruit is five winged.

regards,
Rashida.

Mahadeswara

Mar 21, 2011, 9:59:58 AM3/21/11
to efloraofindia
The tree looks like Berrya cordifolia. The foliage is not clear.
Hence I cannot confirm. You may please visit Gandhinagar 3rd Main
Road almost near the Padmanabha temple. There is a row of
B.cordifolia trees ( 8 to 10) . Take photographs and compare them
with those of TS. You will get the answer.

On Mar 21, 2:06 pm, Rashida Atthar <atthar.rash...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Pardeshi ji,  Kleinhovia can be ruled out because Kleinhovia leaves are
> cordate and very different from the one in the pictures, even the fruit is
> five winged.
>
> regards,
> Rashida.

Pudji Widodo

Mar 21, 2011, 12:03:48 PM3/21/11
to efloraofindia
I think Pterocarpus marsupium Roxburgh

Pudji Widodo
Fakultas Biologi Universitas Jenderal Soedirman
PURWOKERTO INDONESIA

Padmini Raghavan

Mar 21, 2011, 2:13:03 PM3/21/11
to Pudji Widodo, efloraofindia
Hi All,
 I can only say that I am familiar with both Holoptelea integrifolia and Berrya cordifolia (at Thiru-Vi-Ka Park , Shenoynagar and and VAANAVIL , Mount Road ) and this is not those species. The seed - pod looks like Berrya's but is much rougher. It is definitely not Kleinhovia either as I have some of its seeds in pods.
                  I am not able to check out the seeds of Pterocarpus marsupium.
 Thanks,
PadminiRaghavan.

Padmini Raghavan

Mar 21, 2011, 10:53:51 PM3/21/11
to Pudji Widodo, efloraofindia
Thanks for the suggestions. I am attaching  my pics of the three kinds of seeds.                 I feel the search is not yet over.
Rgds,
Padmini

.                  I am not able to check out the seeds of Pterocarpus marsupium.
Seed pods of Kleinhovia hospita,Berrya cordifolia & Guess who . 005.jpg
Seed pods of Kleinhovia hospita,Berrya cordifolia & Guess who . 002.jpg
Seed pods of Kleinhovia hospita,Berrya cordifolia & Guess who . 003.jpg
Seed pods of Kleinhovia hospita,Berrya cordifolia & Guess who . 004.jpg

Rashida Atthar

Mar 22, 2011, 3:59:12 AM3/22/11
to Padmini Raghavan, Pudji Widodo, efloraofindia
Padmini ji you are correct in ruling out Berry, I checked the leaves also are quite different and the fruit is six winged of Berry.  I thought of Marsupium too, but the fruits of Marsupium do not have a wegde at the top or clear samara wings as in Holoptelea. You may check the pictures of Dr. Geeta Samant in the database where very clear fruits are seen of Marsupium.  Also please check when you see the tree again whether the leaves have an odd one at the end of the leaflets that is typical of Marsupium and the leaflets  would be more egg shaped unlike Holoptelea.

regards,
Rashida.

J.M. Garg

Jun 30, 2011, 8:02:28 AM6/30/11
to efloraofindia, uda...@gmail.com, vsrb...@gmail.com, nmk...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, swamy...@yahoo.com, ras...@gmail.com, maha...@gmail.com, kalida...@gmail.com, altha...@gmail.com, satish pardeshi, Padmini Raghavan, Pudji Widodo

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“Holoptlia integrifolia has one seeded fruit. the fruit is resembling Berrya cordifoia (the wings) and tat of Kleinhoevia hospita.” from Pardeshi ji.

Kleinhovia can be ruled out because Kleinhovia leaves are cordate and very different from the one in the pictures, even the fruit is five winged.” from Rashida ji.

“The tree looks like Berrya cordifolia.     The foliage is not clear. Hence I cannot confirm.  You may please visit Gandhinagar 3rd Main Road  almost near the Padmanabha temple.   There is  a row of B.cordifolia trees ( 8 to 10) .  Take  photographs  and compare them with those of TS.  You will get the answer.” from Mahadeswara ji.

"I think Pterocarpus marsupium Roxburgh
Pudji Widodo"
" I can only say that I am familiar with both Holoptelea integrifolia and Berrya cordifolia (at Thiru-Vi-Ka Park , Shenoynagar and and VAANAVIL , Mount Road ) and this is not those species. The seed - pod looks like Berrya's but is much rougher. It is definitely not Kleinhovia either as I have some of its seeds in pods.
                  I am not able to check out the seeds of Pterocarpus marsupium." from Padmini ji.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1600 members & 70,000 messages on 30/5/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 5000 species)

At TS- to ID -only seeds, no flowers 001.jpg
At TS- to ID -only seeds, no flowers 002.jpg
At TS- to ID -only seeds, no flowers 003.jpg
A tree to ID - seeds 002.jpg
A tree to ID - seeds 006.jpg
A tree to ID - seeds 012.jpg

J.M. Garg

Oct 15, 2011, 2:09:37 AM10/15/11
[...]

" I can only say that I am familiar with both Holoptelea integrifolia and Berrya cordifolia (at Thiru-Vi-Ka Park , Shenoynagar and and VAANAVIL , Mount Road ) and this is not those species. The seed - pod looks like Berrya's but is much rougher. It is definitely not Kleinhovia either as I have some of its seeds in pods. I am not able to check out the seeds of Pterocarpus marsupium." from Padmini ji.

"Thanks for the suggestions. I am attaching  my pics of the three kinds of seeds. I feel the search is not yet over.
Rgds,
Padmini"

"Padmini ji you are correct in ruling out Berry, I checked the leaves also are quite different and the fruit is six winged of Berry.  I thought of Marsupium too, but the fruits of Marsupium do not have a wegde at the top or clear samara wings as in Holoptelea. You may check the pictures of Dr. Geeta Samant in the database where very clear fruits are seen of Marsupium.  Also please check when you see the tree again whether the leaves have an odd one at the end of the leaflets that is typical of Marsupium and the leaflets  would be more egg shaped unlike Holoptelea.
regards,
Rashida. "

"On seeing the latest photographs I have a doubt that this could be one of the Terminalia species." Mahadeswara ji.

J.M. Garg

J.M. Garg

Apr 9, 2017, 11:04:00 AM4/9/17
to efloraofindia, Lalithamba Avadhanam, Padmini Raghavan, satish pardeshi, M Swamy
Thanks, Lalithamba ji.

Apr 11, 2017, 12:46:18 AM4/11/17
to efloraofindia, M Swamy, Padmini Raghavan

Vijayasankar

Nov 19, 2017, 8:03:17 PM11/19/17
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Padmini Raghavan, satish pardeshi, M Swamy, Lalithamba Avadhanam
This could be Berrya javanica, a native to Java and N. Australia.

Vijayasankar
Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D.
Research Scientist
University of Mississippi

Satish N. Pardeshi

Nov 19, 2017, 11:49:54 PM11/19/17
to Vijayasankar, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Padmini Raghavan, M Swamy, Lalithamba Avadhanam
Yes as identified by Vijaysankar jee it is B. javanica.

Regards

Satish Pardeshi
--
EACH ONE.... PLANT ONE...

Satish Pardeshi
Plant Taxonomist
Mumbai, Pune

J.M. Garg

Nov 20, 2017, 7:03:46 AM11/20/17
to Vijayasankar Raman, efloraofindia, Padmini Raghavan, satish pardeshi, M Swamy, Lalithamba Avadhanam
Thanks, Vijayasankar ji.

J.M. Garg

Nov 20, 2017, 7:04:06 AM11/20/17
to satish pardeshi, Vijayasankar Raman, efloraofindia, Padmini Raghavan, M Swamy, Lalithamba Avadhanam
Thanks, Satish ji.

J.M. Garg

Nov 28, 2017, 7:15:19 AM11/28/17
to Vijayasankar, efloraofindia, Padmini Raghavan, satish pardeshi, M Swamy, Lalithamba Avadhanam