Re: [efloraofindia:34611] 'Buchanania Lanzan' found and another wild flower tree for id

Rakesh Biswas

Jun 26, 2010, 12:23:25 PM6/26/10
to indiantreepix
Thanks a lot friends for all your support.

We finally drove down to Jabalpur State Forest Research Institute and found all the trees that we were looking for. Not only Buchanania lanzan but we also found saplings of  white butea monosperma, Eleocarpus Ganitrus (rudraksh), sterculia urens, mitragyna parviflora (krishna kadam) and many others.

On our way back we were driving through a reserve forest on National Highway 12 and suddenly we came across this frangrance ( like that of Michelia Champaka) which appeared to be coming from all directions.

We noticed the likely source of this fragrance soon after as patches of white flowers atop large sized trees amidst the dense green, Have attached them in this mail for identification if possible.

regards,

rakesh

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 5:16 PM, Rakesh Biswas <rakesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Satish Ji.

regards,

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 3:19 PM, Satish Chile <chile...@gmail.com> wrote:
Biswas ji you can contact State Forest Research Institute Jabalpur for the same. Also Central tropical forest research institute Barela Road, Jabalpur.
Satish

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Rakesh Biswas <rakesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Dr Neil,

I shall try to procure the seeds but I am not sure where exactly here in Bhopal it may be available.

regards,

rakesh

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Neil Soares <drneil...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi Mr.Biswas,
 Seeds should be available right now [and also for the next month]. They have to be soaked in a concentrated solution of Sulphuric acid for 5 minutes, rinsed thoroughly and then sown immediately.
                      With regards,
                         Neil Soares.

P.S. - If Mr. Lavkumar Kachcahar is reading this mail - as requested last year have collected 3 bulbs of Gloriosa superba for you .Please let me know how and where you would like them delivered.
                                    N.

From: Rakesh Biswas <rakesh...@gmail.com>
Date: 14 April 2010 10:58
To: indiantreepix <indian...@googlegroups.com>

We have been trying for the last two years to get a 'Buchanania Lanzan' sapling for our farm but we have been unsuccessful.

We are trying the 'germinating from seeds' option now but the seed supplier in Bhopal kept telling us they will be available in march and then april and now he says it would be available only in may.

I would be grateful for advice from you on what are the usual period of availability of these seeds that may be germinated.

regards,

rakesh

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

wild flower tree bark and leaves.jpg
wild flower tree bark.jpg
wild flower tree.jpg

Nayan Singh

Jun 28, 2010, 12:23:46 AM6/28/10
to Rakesh Biswas, indiantreepix
Dear Rakesh ji
your plant is Gardenia latifolia, localy called Papra from Rubiaceae family
thanks
Nayan.
N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

Jun 28, 2010, 1:31:25 AM6/28/10
to Satish Phadke, Rakesh Biswas, indiantreepix
I agree with Nayan ji, this is Gardenia latifolia (= G. lucida). Yes the large white flowers (fading yellow) are fragrant!
The tree looks quite big!!

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

Pankaj Oudhia

Jun 28, 2010, 1:36:40 AM6/28/10
to efloraofindia
Nayan ji is right about Kurru. If you go near to this plant you will find gum droplets oozing out. Please see this image.

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=pdb&PdbID=103637

If you try to reach near to this flower for best close up a fly locally known as Lokti will surround you and try to enter in ear and nose. Its fragrance attracts many insects.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Rakesh Biswas

Jun 28, 2010, 3:02:29 AM6/28/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Thanks a lot Nayan ji, Vijayshanker ji, Satish Ji and Pankaj ji for the id, links and comments.

regards,

rakesh

Madhuri Pejaver

Jun 28, 2010, 6:23:23 AM6/28/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
If this is Dikemali in Marathi then the gum has medicinal use.
Aadivasi ledies give a drop of it to children to make them sleep, so that they can go in forest for their work
Madhuri

Jun 28, 2010, 8:46:05 AM6/28/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
ok thanks. but that too show the gum as shown in the link you have sent, fragrance is also there.
madhuri