id pl. of Arisema sp.

ushaprabha page

Aug 31, 2010, 8:52:12 AM8/31/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Which Arisaema-id pl.
Location- Eagle nest sanct. Altitude 9500feet.
time12.35  p.m.on  22nd April 10.

Ushaprabha.
P4220127.JPG
P4220130.JPG
P4220131.JPG
P4220132.JPG
P4220133.JPG
P4220137.JPG

mani nair

Aug 31, 2010, 9:07:32 AM8/31/10
to ushaprabha page, indian...@googlegroups.com
Cobra lily
Mani.

Balkar Arya

Aug 31, 2010, 1:01:55 PM8/31/10
to mani nair, ushaprabha page, indian...@googlegroups.com
Arisaema intermedium may be

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

tanay bose

Aug 31, 2010, 8:02:49 PM8/31/10
to Balkar Arya, mani nair, ushaprabha page, indian...@googlegroups.com
I think Balkar Ji is correct
tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 29, 2010, 3:08:09 PM9/29/10
to efloraofindia, ushaprabha page, Balkar Arya, TANAY BOSE, Tabish
Resurfacing again for ID confirmation
Earlier feedback

Balkar ji........................................................Arisaema intermedium may be
Tanay...........................................................I think Balkar ji is correct

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Tabish

Sep 29, 2010, 4:20:26 PM9/29/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, ushaprabha page, Balkar Arya, TANAY BOSE
I think this one should be Arisaema tortuosum.
Normally the whip-like cord coming from inside the throat (spadix
appendage) is upright, but when the flower is past its prime, the cord
droops, as seen in the pictures here.
It should not be Arisaema intermedium because in that species the
"hood" (spathe) of the cobra-lily has a 2-3 cm long tail-like tip, as
can be seen in the following:
http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/ArisaemaSpeciesThree
The "hood" of Arisaema tortuosum, on the other hand, is pointed, but
has no tail-like tip. To me, Ushaprabha's images appear to agree with
Arisaema tortuosum.
- Tabish

Tabish Qureshi                       Phone: 011-26981753, 32959320(res)
Department of Physics                 Email: tabi...@jmi.ac.in
Jamia Millia Islamia               Webpage: http://tabish.freeshell.org
New Delhi - 110025.
http://www.jamia-physics.net

shrikant ingalhalikar

Sep 29, 2010, 9:44:42 PM9/29/10
to efloraofindia
Tabish ji, the leaves are broadly trifoliolate, and not digitate as in
case of A. tortuosum. I too have seen this plant (certainly not A.
tortuosum) at the Eaglenest pass and wondering about its ID. Regards,
Shrikant

On Sep 30, 12:08 am, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Resurfacing again for ID confirmation
> Earlier feedback
>
> Balkar ji........................................................Arisaema
> intermedium may be
> Tanay...........................................................I think
> Balkar ji is correct
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor

> From: ushaprabha page <ushaprabhap...@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 5:52 AM
> Subject: [efloraofindia:46090] id pl. of Arisema sp.
> To: indian...@googlegroups.com
>
> Which Arisaema-id pl.
> Location- Eagle nest sanct. Altitude 9500feet.
> time12.35  p.m.on  22nd April 10.
>
> Ushaprabha.
>

>  P4220127.JPG
> 137KViewDownload
>
>  P4220130.JPG
> 155KViewDownload
>
>  P4220131.JPG
> 51KViewDownload
>
>  P4220132.JPG
> 167KViewDownload
>
>  P4220133.JPG
> 225KViewDownload
>
>  P4220137.JPG
> 55KViewDownload- Hide quoted text -

Tabish

Sep 30, 2010, 12:59:47 AM9/30/10
to efloraofindia
I can't make out the leaves clearly from the picture. If they are
indeed trifoliate, it surely cannot be A. tortuosum.
Then, this could be a species not yet reported from Arunachal Pradesh.
We found Arisaema elephas in Tawang region, from where it is not
reported (as far as I know). So, one may have to look at some species
from China, the neighboring region.
One such candidate is Arisaema handelii, which has trifoliate
leaves,
http://www.aroid.org/genera/arisaema/herold/Images/arhandelii.jpg
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=200027206
" Spathe green, purple, or dark green with broad white stripe",
"Appendix whitish, narrowly conic, basal 4-6 cm densely papillose or
rugose, ca. 1.5 cm in diam., abruptly narrowed at base into stipe ca.
6 × 5 mm, distal part smooth and gradually drawn into flagellum to 38
cm in total, exserted from spathe tube and tortuous, pendulous in
distal flagellate part. "
- Tabish

On Sep 30, 6:44 am, shrikant ingalhalikar <le...@rediffmail.com>

J.M. Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Google e-group- Efloraofindia:http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1400 members & 50,000 messages on 10/10/10 & with a database of around 4100 species on 31/8/10)

P4220127.JPG
P4220130.JPG
P4220131.JPG
P4220132.JPG
P4220133.JPG
P4220137.JPG

J.M. Garg

Oct 23, 2010, 12:31:45 PM10/23/10
to efloraofindia, ushaprabha page, Tabish, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, navendu page, Pravir, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, Dr. M. K. Pathak, ulachungpa
A reply from Dr. M.K.Pathak:
"Arisaema hookeri"

J.M. Garg

Oct 24, 2010, 12:52:23 AM10/24/10
to efloraofindia, ushaprabha page, Tabish, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, navendu page, Pravir, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, Dr. M. K. Pathak, ulachungpa, Sharad Kambale
A reply:
"May be A. sivdasani" from Sharad Kambale ji.

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 19, 2010, 11:45:21 AM11/19/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
This is a species that shows intermediate characteristics between the
Arisaema griffithii-group (notice the reticulated innerside of spathe
blade in the last picture) and the elephas alliance. AP is and area
where the Sino-Himalayan and Indo-Himalayan floras meet and there are
many plants that show characteristics of species from both areas. The
Arisaema griffithii group usually has long threadlike appendices and
not the thicker and short appendix of the plants on the pictures.
Similar but darker plants can be found in the Yumthang area of N
Sikkim where the slow change from griffithii type plants to this type
and further on to true Arisaema elephas is more apparant. Further east
in AP similar plants like this are found that have a more beige-orange
flowers.

Some remarks on names mentioned in this thread:

- Arisaema handelli is very similar to Arisaema elephas but has a
rather narrow distribution range in China, most important
characteristic of this species is a rugose (rough, like sandpaper)
appendix wheras the plants on the picture have a smooth appendix, it
also has a flowerstalk that generally is shorter than the leafstalks
whereas the plant on the pictures has its flowers as high or higher
than the leaves.
- Arisaema intermedium has a very long threadlike appendix that can
reach 50-70 cm in length, it is also much smaller with narrow, more
elliptic leaflets, not the broad rhombic leaflets of the AP plants
- Arisaema hookeri (or hookerianum) is the lowland form of Arisaema
griffithii that can be found at Tiger Hill and some parts of
Shingallila National Park in W Bengal. It differs from normal
griffithii by a very triangular folded spathe and a more purple
colour. Nevertheless it is a full synonym of Arisaema griffithii.
- Arisaema sivadasanii is a endemic autumn-flowering form of Arisaema
tortuosum from S India. It has now been reduced to a variety of
tortuosum by Punekar and Kumaran

Whether the plant on the pictures has characteristics sufficently
unique to warrant a separate status extensive fieldwork needs to show.
As it is it doesn't fall within any known species I would suggest to
ID it as Arisaema species aff. griffithii-group.

Regards,

Pascal Bruggeman
The Netherlands

Location- Eagle nest sanct. Altitude 9500feet.
time12.35  p.m.on  22nd April 10.

Ushaprabha.

 P4220127.JPG
137KWeergevenDownloaden

 P4220130.JPG
155KWeergevenDownloaden

 P4220131.JPG
51KWeergevenDownloaden

 P4220132.JPG
167KWeergevenDownloaden

 P4220133.JPG
225KWeergevenDownloaden

 P4220137.JPG
55KWeergevenDownloaden

Pascal Bruggeman

Nov 19, 2010, 6:54:22 PM11/19/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
This Arisaema has been observed in various colour forms in AP but does
not seem to fall in any of the know species. Because of the appendix
shape it shows some resemblance with Arisaema elephas (which generally
is purple flowered) but particularly in the last picture the
reticulation on the inside of the spathe blade shows its close
affinity with members of the Arisaema griffithii group. Griffithii
normally has a thin, threadlike appendix but in some areas at higher
elevations the appendices seem to get shorter and thicker and slide
towards Arisaema elephas. This occurs for instance in the Yumthang
area of N Sikkim. Because of the present reticulation (nettled veins)
I would suggest to id it as Arisaema griffithii aff. Further field
research is needed to establish its true status and find out whether
it deserves a separate status. Because Arunachal Pradesh is in between
the Indo Himalayan and Sino Himalayan Flora many intermediate forms of
Arisaema have been found of Indian and Chinese species, for instance
intermediates between the sister species Arisaema galeatum (India) and
Arisaema dahaiense (China).

Some remarks on the proposed names in this thread:

- As noted Arisaema handelii has a rugose (rough, like sandpaper)
appendix and a rather restricted distribution range in China, the
plants on the pictures have a smooth appendix. A. handelii also has a
flower stalk shorter than the leaf stalks in contrast to the plants on
the pictures.
- Arisaema sivadasanii is a narrow endemic species from S India and is
recently reduced to a variety of Arisaema tortuosum, it does not occur
in N India and is usually autumn flowering, it belong to a different
section within the genus and has pedatisect leaves, not tripartite
- Arisaema hookeri ("hookerianum) is a full synonym of Arisaema
griffithii. It is the lowland form of griffithii from ~2000 m altitude
that occurs for instance at Tiger Hill in W Bengal, it is usually
reddish purple and of all the forms of griffithii has a spathe that is
the most turned back on itself pointing much backward and usually even
so recurved that it embrasses the flowering stalk.

Hope this helps,

Pascal Bruggeman
The Netherlands

JM Garg

Jun 14, 2020, 11:17:11 PM6/14/20
to efloraofindia, ushaprabha page
Described as a new species as per Arisaema anatinum Brugg. as per Rename possible.
P4220127.JPG
P4220130.JPG
P4220131.JPG
P4220132.JPG