Piper Var.

Prashant awale

Feb 13, 2009, 6:33:11 AM2/13/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friends,

This one is a "Piper" Var (Piperaceae Family) photographed at "Sohra Forest- Meghalaya". My guess is Piper Cubeba??. Your comments please..

Thanks and  best wishes
Prashant..
DSC00990.JPG

JANAKI TURAGA

Feb 13, 2009, 9:23:35 AM2/13/09
to Prashant awale, treepix Indian

Possibly a Piper longum. How long was the pepper 'pod'?
But an interesting Piper.
Janaki Turaga

Prashant awale

Feb 13, 2009, 11:26:54 AM2/13/09
to JANAKI TURAGA, treepix Indian
I am bit confused between Piper Cubeba  and  Piper longum. Have a look at following link. http://www.summagallicana.it/lessico/p/pepe%20cubebe.htm

The spikes were variable from around 1cm to 4cm roughly.
Have a look at one more photo (not very clear).

Thanks & best wishes
Prashant..
Piper-1.JPG

JANAKI TURAGA

Feb 16, 2009, 3:07:45 AM2/16/09
to Prashant awale, treepix Indian

Hi,
Sry for the late response.
My identification was based on what was available in google search.
One key identification was the 'tail', which was missing in the picture.
But when you sent in the link, then I got confused.
I feel that Piper longum has a longer 'pod' than Piper cubeba.
Additional information is needed before this variety is confirmed.
I do have a question though: Again based on google search, its geographical distribution is south east asia. Though our North Eastern region can be considered as a continuum of the South East Asian bio-geographical zone (roughly speaking), is Piper cubeba found in North EAst? One interenet search stated that Mysore was the location of the photograph!
Perhaps the experts in this group can throw some light on this.
Thanks for posting this, it has opened up a whole new world of Pipers!! Such incredible variety.
Janaki Turaga

On 2/16/09, Prashant awale <pka...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
I hope u had received my email. Have u got any further info w.r.t. this piper speci...
Thanks & best wishes
Prashant..

J.M. Garg

Feb 18, 2009, 2:38:18 AM2/18/09
to JANAKI TURAGA, Prashant awale, treepix Indian
Hi, Prashant ji,
You may like to go through the details & links from Indiantreepix Database as below:
2009/2/16 JANAKI TURAGA <janaki...@gmail.com>

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

JANAKI TURAGA

Sep 8, 2009, 12:24:23 PM9/8/09
to treepix Indian

Gurcharanji,
Perhaps you can clarify which piper this is.
This is the piper i mentioned in my earlier mail.
Thanks
Janaki Turaga

JANAKI TURAGA

Sep 8, 2009, 12:39:14 PM9/8/09
to treepix Indian
i hope this mail goes through to the group

J.M. Garg

Sep 21, 2009, 11:51:02 AM9/21/09
to indiantreepix, Prashant awale, JANAKI TURAGA
Hi, Prashant ji,
Could you finally confirm the species?

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

DSC00990.JPG

Vijayadas D

Sep 21, 2009, 12:19:22 PM9/21/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Prashant awale, JANAKI TURAGA
Realy it is very interesting  .I have no idea of distribution of piper , whether it is rare or occassional ?

--
VijayadasD
Horticulturalist / Estates Supervisor Deputy

Ferns are funniest plants..............!!!!!

J.M. Garg

Oct 4, 2009, 7:28:23 AM10/4/09
to indiantreepix, Prashant awale, JANAKI TURAGA, Gurcharan Singh-sify, Dr. Santhosh Kumar, ravin...@gmail.com

Forwarding again for Id confirmation as Piper Cubeba or Piper longum or otherwise pl.

Oct 4, 2009, 7:33:19 AM10/4/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Prashant awale, JANAKI TURAGA, Gurcharan Singh-sify, Dr. Santhosh Kumar, ravin...@gmail.com
Dear all,

it is Piper cubeba

Dr Gurcharan Singh

Oct 4, 2009, 2:13:06 PM10/4/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Prashant awale, JANAKI TURAGA, Dr. Santhosh Kumar, ravin...@gmail.com

Leaves of P. longum are much different: broader and cordate at base. This could be P. cubeba

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor, Department of Botany, SGTB Khalsa College

Swagat

Oct 5, 2009, 9:46:23 AM10/5/09
to Dr Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, Prashant awale, JANAKI TURAGA, Dr. Santhosh Kumar, ravin...@gmail.com
Dear all,

'Piper Cubeba' is called 'Kankol' 'कंकोळ' in Marathi.

Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568

JM Garg

May 26, 2020, 10:33:10 AM5/26/20
to efloraofindia
DSC00990.JPG

J.M. Garg

May 26, 2020, 10:37:58 AM5/26/20
to efloraofindia, Prashant awale, JANAKI TURAGA, GurcharanSingh
Piper cubeba L.fil. is not found in India as per Catalogue of Life;
Can it be Piper khasianum C.DC. (syn: Piper curtistipes C.DC.) as per GBIF Specimen ?

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 3,000 members & 3,00,000 messages on 23.8.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 13,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which more than 2,50,000 images are directly displayed on 31.1.20).

DSC00990.JPG

J.M. Garg

Jun 1, 2020, 5:42:55 AM6/1/20
to efloraofindia, Prashant awale, JANAKI TURAGA, GurcharanSingh
May be Padmaraj ji helps us in the matter.

J.M. Garg

Jun 6, 2020, 12:55:50 AM6/6/20
to efloraofindia, Prashant awale

Jun 6, 2020, 9:55:28 AM6/6/20
to efloraofindia, Tabish, Prashant awale
A reply from another thread from Prasanta Kumar Mukherjee for this post:
Piper peepulloides.
PLM

J.M. Garg

Jun 6, 2020, 11:51:06 AM6/6/20
to efloraofindia, Tabish, Prashant awale
Thanks, Tabish ji.
Sorry, I think I had posted the reply in a wrong thread.

J.M. Garg

Jun 6, 2020, 12:04:01 PM6/6/20
to efloraofindia, Tabish, Prashant awale
On further checking, I found that the answer was rightly placed.
It should be a male plant as per GBIF- Specimen

Tabish

Jun 6, 2020, 12:59:38 PM6/6/20
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Prashant awale
This 2016 paper treats Piper mullesua Buch.-Ham. ex D.Don (1825, p. 20) as synonym of Piper peepuloides Roxb.
 The description of Piper mullesua at FOC mentions flowers are bisexual and spikes are almost spherical. Notes in the FOC description also talk about that species being wrongly described as having long male inflorescence.
My understanding from all this is that Piper peepuloides has small spikes which are bisexual.
  Any clarification is welcome.
  Tabish

www.flowersofindia.net
The waterhole of flower lovers

J.M. Garg

Jun 6, 2020, 11:37:33 PM6/6/20
to Tabish, efloraofindia, Prashant awale
Thanks, Tabish ji.
There has been a lot of confusion about the long spike of male plants in Piper peepulloides.
As the id comes from Dr. Prasanta Kumar Mukherjee, there should not be any doubt about it.
As per his recent publication, Nomenclatural notes on Piper (Piperaceae) from India III (2020)
Abstract: This paper, in continuation of earlier ones (Mukherjee 2017, 2018), deals with the taxonomic studies of the genus Piper Linnaeus (Piperaceae) from India. It includes information on the identity, typification and nomenclature of ten additional species. The results report four new names: Piper courtallensis P. K. Mukh. nom. nov., Piper kurgianum P. K. Mukh. nom.nov, Piper lamarckianum P. K. Mukh. nom. nov., and Piper travancorianum P. K. Mukh. nom. nov. It also deals with the lectotypification and nomenclature of P. argyrophyllum Miquel, P. attenuatum Miquel and P. talbotii C. de Candolle in addition to supersession of previous lectotypification with new ones for P. leptostachyum Miquel and P. peepuloides Roxburgh. Additionally, new synonyms are added for P. obtusistigmum C.de Candolle and P. talbotii C. de Candolle. Identities of P. peepuloides Roxburgh, P. mullesua Don and P. rhytidocarpum J. D. Hooker as distinct species are reasserted. An overall evaluation of their identity and nomenclature including synonyms is included. Necessary explanatory notes are added for each of the species which are dealt alphabetically.

He has considered Suwanpakhdee's 2016 publication in this.

It says Piper mullesua is considered here as distinct from P. peepuloides because it differs in the characters of the female spikes. These are long pedicelled and spherical to ovoid in P. mullesua and subsessile and cylindrical in P. peepuloides.

Tabish

Jun 7, 2020, 2:51:37 AM6/7/20
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Prashant awale
Since this is the latest paper, it settles the name confusion, and it also considers the paper I had pointed to.
Prasanta Kumar Mukherjee would know the identity of this plant well, I am sure.
 So, I take it as Piper peepuloides.
 Tabish
www.flowersofindia.net
The waterhole of flower lovers

J.M. Garg

Jul 12, 2020, 12:28:53 PM7/12/20
to padmaraj gajurel, Prashant awale, Tabish
Thanks a lot, Padma Raj ji.
Dr. Prashanta Kumar Mukherjee suggested it as Piper peepulloides.
Any views ?

On Sun, 12 Jul 2020 at 19:02, padmaraj gajurel <pgaj...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Probably a male plant of P. khasianum C. D.

Regrds

Dr. Padma Raj Gajurel
Associate Professor, Department of Forestry
North Eastern Regional Institute of Science & Technology (NERIST)
(Demeed University)
Nirjuli-791109, Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh, India
Phone: +91 360 2257401- 09  ext. 6010/6111
Fax +91 360 2257872 / 2258533
Mob (9436222579)

On Friday, 13 February 2009 17:03:11 UTC+5:30, Prashant awale wrote:
Dear Friends,

This one is a "Piper" Var (Piperaceae Family) photographed at "Sohra Forest- Meghalaya". My guess is Piper Cubeba??. Your comments please..

Thanks and  best wishes
Prashant..

For identification,learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ joinour EfloraofindiaGoogle e-group (largestin the world- more than 3,000 members & 3,00,000 messages on 23.8.18) orEfloraofindia website (with a species database of more than13,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which more than 2,50,000 images are directly displayed on 31.1.20).

Also author of 'APhotoguide to the Birds of Kolkata & Common Birds of India'.

J.M. Garg

J.M. Garg

Jul 22, 2020, 6:19:02 AM7/22/20
to padmaraj gajurel