Gnetum ula and Gnetum scandens

Skip to the first unread message

prasad dash

2 May 2011, 6:11:55 am02/05/11
to Indiantreepix
Dear all sharing the images of Gnetum ula and Gnetum scandens for ur reference. I have collected both the species from same locality, i.e from Nayagarh district of Orissa in my last visit (29th April to 1st May, 11). Both are climbers and growing wild near perennial hill streams (Orissa semi ever green forest at an altitude of 600 m above msl.). Please validate.

Regards

Prasad

--
Prasad Kumar Dash
Ecologist, Orissa, India

Gurcharan Singh

2 May 2011, 6:19:40 am02/05/11
to prasad dash, Indiantreepix
Prasad ji
Thanks for sharing these interesting species of Gnetum. Would it be possible for you to post these two species in different mails? It would help in better representation in database.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired Associate Professor, Department of Botany,

tanay bose

2 May 2011, 10:19:44 am02/05/11
to Gurcharan Singh, prasad dash, Indiantreepix
Really and interesting Gymnosperm ..
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Sid

3 May 2011, 11:50:39 pm03/05/11
to prasad dash, Indiantreepix
Dear Prasad ji,

Thanks for your nice photographs of Gnetum ula and G. scandens. What is the difference between the two species ?

Regards,
Sid.

prasad dash

4 May 2011, 6:36:23 am04/05/11
to Sid, Indiantreepix
Dear Gurucharanji, Tanayji and Sidji, a small correction. After critical examination of both the specimen and literature review, it is found that both the species are are Gnetum ula Brongn (G. scandens auct. non Roxb). While one is the male cone, the other is the female cone (berry like). Thanks for the suggestion. I wl do the needful in my next postings of plants in the group.

Regards

Prasad

H S

20 May 2011, 1:45:58 am20/05/11
to prasad dash, Sid, Indiantreepix
Both the fotos are Gnetum indicum (Syn. G. ula Brogn.) (foto
representing with name G. ula showing male cone) and (foto
representing G. scandens is female cone)..

Common in Western Ghat in Evergreen and semievergreen forest..

G. ula is nom. illeg.
We must follow name G. indicum (Lour.) Merrill

--
- H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of
stone

J.M. Garg

25 Aug 2011, 8:28:02 am25/08/11
to efloraofindia, prasad....@gmail.com, manoj...@gmail.com, dinesh...@gmail.com, pka...@gmail.com, le...@rediffmail.com, rajde...@gmail.com, satishp...@gmail.com, drsmp...@gmail.com, anala...@gmail.com, swee...@gmail.com, nudra...@gmail.com, tcha...@gmail.com, drneil...@yahoo.com, raani...@gmail.com, Plumbago...@gmail.com, hems...@gmail.com, devar...@gmail.com, sheeta...@gmail.com, kawale...@gmail.com, Sid

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“Dear Gurucharanji, Tanayji and Sidji, a small correction. After critical examination of both the specimen and literature review, it is found that both the species are are Gnetum ula Brongn (G. scandens auct. non Roxb). While one is the male cone, the other is the female cone (berry like). Thanks for the suggestion. I wl do the needful in my next postings of plants in the group.

Regards

Prasad”

“Both the fotos are Gnetum indicum (Syn. G. ula Brogn.)  (foto representing with name G. ula showing male cone) and (foto

representing G. scandens is female cone)..

Common in Western Ghat in Evergreen and semievergreen forest..

G. ula is nom. illeg.

We must follow name G. indicum (Lour.) Merrill--
 - H.S.”

From me:
Both are valid names as per The Plant List names:
http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/kew-334187 (Gnetum parvifolium (Warb.) W.C.Cheng with syn. as Gnetum indicum (Lour.) Merr.)

 In view, what is the correct Bot. name of the posted species ?
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1680 members & 75,000 messages on 31/7/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 5000 species)

Gnetum ula 1.jpg
Gnetum scandens.jpg
Gnetum scandens1.jpg
Gnetum ula.jpg

Giby Kuriakose

25 Aug 2011, 9:12:34 am25/08/11
to J.M. Garg, H S, Sid, tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, prasad dash, indiantreepix
Gnetum ula and Gnetum indicum are two different species.
The pictures here are of Gnetum ula Brongn. of Gnetaceae family first and last pictures are male cones and second one is female cone. A close up of leaf would have been better. Usually, leaves of this huge liana (without cones) gives an impression that this could be a flowering plant!

Regards,
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD