BARHAL FRUIT

gillian

Jul 7, 2008, 3:12:31 AM7/7/08
to indiantreepix
Sorry, I don't have a pic. to go with this identification query, but
hopefully the brief description below will be enough.

In a village near Lucknow, I was offered barhal fruit to eat. They
were lumpy and yellow, like small very misshapen papayas and very
ugly. The peel was smooth, thin and edible. Inside the flesh and seeds
ressembled bright orange/yellow custard apples, with seeds placed
similarly. The flesh was delicious with a tang of Vitamin C - a cross
between an orange and a custard apple. Local people said they were
full of calcium. I was not able to see the tree.

Any ideas?

Gillian

J.M. Garg

Jul 7, 2008, 4:11:48 AM7/7/08
to gillian, indiantreepix
Hi, Gillian ji,
I think you mean the following tree, called Badhal or Barhal (Details from Indiantreepix Database). Pl. click the links for pictures of the fruit:
Artocarpus lacucha Moraceae Badhal, Monkey Jack, Lakooch, Badahar, Lokhat A lot of trees here are also fruiting in Kolkata for past few weeks- 28/3/08. Fruiting in Pune- Satish ji- 28/3/08. Lakoocha: A Multipurpose Tree of Warm Climate Ficus - indiantreepix | Google Groups Artocarpus lakoocha (Badhal/ Mokey Jack)? - indiantreepix | Google Groups Google Image Result for http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/i/s/Monkey-Jack.jpg

For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Landscape pictures etc., visit  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg

gillian

Jul 8, 2008, 10:25:07 PM7/8/08
to indiantreepix
dear JM Garg

yes, looks like monkey jack from one of the links - the one showing
the green misshapen fruit. However the skin was smooth not velvety. I
have a picture now, but can't work out how to post it! Gillian