Plant with aromatic roots

Skip to the first unread message

manudev madhavan

10 Mar 2011, 7:04:44 am10/03/11
to indiantreepix
Dear all,

Could this be a species of Polygala???
A small plant collected from the grasslands of Manikkunu Hills near Kalpetta, Wayanad District, Kerala
Collection date: 08.10.2009

The roots of the plant has a characteristic smell..

regards

--
Manudev K Madhavan
Junior Research Fellow

1.jpg

C KUNHIKANNAN

10 Mar 2011, 1:52:51 pm10/03/11
to manudev madhavan, indiantreepix
yes it is a species of polygala
kunhikannan

--
Dr. C.Kunhikannan,
Division of Biodiversity,

Mahadeswara

10 Mar 2011, 10:48:37 pm10/03/11
to efloraofindia
Yes.

On Mar 10, 5:04 pm, manudev madhavan <manudevkmadha...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Could this be a species of *Polygala*???
> A small plant collected from the grasslands of Manikkunu Hills near
> Kalpetta, Wayanad District, Kerala
> Collection date: 08.10.2009
>
> The roots of the plant has a characteristic smell..
>
> regards
>
> --
> *Manudev K Madhavan*
> Junior Research Fellow
> Systematic & Floristic Lab,
> Department of Botany,
> Centre for Postgraduate Studies & Research
> St. Joseph's College, Devagiri
> Kozhikode- 673 008
> Mob: 9496470738
>
>  1.jpg
> 441KViewDownload

amit chauhan

11 Mar 2011, 10:49:39 pm11/03/11
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Dear all,

It is certainly a Polygala sp. but needs more photos for confirming.
Yes Polygala do have characteristic smell in roots. I have also
collected a Polygala crotolaroides which have a characteristic flesh
and aromatic roots

regards
Amit

--
Dr. Amit Chauhan
Junior Technical Assistant

J.M. Garg

21 Jun 2011, 8:43:51 am21/06/11
to efloraofindia, yazdy...@gmail.com, prajees...@gmail.com, anees...@gmail.com, santhos...@gmail.com, manudevk...@gmail.com, royt...@gmail.com, vasude...@gmail.com, maravijnani, amit...@gmail.com

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“yes it is a species of polygala
kunhikannan”

Yes.” from Mahadeswara ji.

“It is certainly a Polygala sp. but needs more photos for confirming.

Yes Polygala do have characteristic smell in roots. I have also
collected a Polygala crotolaroides which have a characteristic flesh
and aromatic roots

regards
Amit”

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1600 members & 70,000 messages on 30/5/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 5000 species)

1.jpg

J.M. Garg

19 Sept 2011, 4:57:46 am19/09/11
to efloraofindia, santhos...@gmail.com, manudevk...@gmail.com, royt...@gmail.com, vasude...@gmail.com, prabhum...@gmail.com, Satheesh George, M Swamy, amit chauhan