For Id 160608JM2

J.M. Garg

Jun 16, 2008, 11:59:00 AM6/16/08
to indiantreepix
One of my friends accompanying me told it to be a Lavender or Barsera. But I could not get the details in my books or net. It's leaves have a very sweet lemonish smell & it was a smallish tree with quite a broad canopy. Group of trunks (as in the picture) at Vanasthali Deer Park, Hyderabad made a lovely & interesting formation.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Barry Stock

Jun 17, 2008, 10:07:02 AM6/17/08
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Gorgeous!

It looks like a member of the Burseraceae (hence "Bursera"). The fruit will split in three and fall leaving the (probably red) seed behind.

Boswellia serrata?

-bs

<For Id2 Lavender or Barsera fruits & leaves at Hyderabad, AP I IMG_7070.jpg><For Id2 Lavender or Barsera trunks at Hyderabad, AP I IMG_7219.jpg>

J.M. Garg

Jun 17, 2008, 10:33:30 AM6/17/08
to Barry Stock, indiantreepix
Hi, Barry ji,
Thanks for the feedback.
I checked up, it's not definitely a Bosewellia serrata.
Based on your clue, I looked for deferent species of Bursera. I find Bursera citronella as per the following link (although I can hardly read the text & I am not sure) matching in its leaves & as I told you its leaves were giving lemonish fragrance: http://images.google.co.in/imgres?imgurl=http://conabioweb.conabio.gob.mx/bancoimagenes/imagenes/thumbs/thumbs21856.jpg&imgrefurl=http://conabioweb.conabio.gob.mx/bancoimagenes/doctos/001_thumbs56-7.htm&h=100&w=67&sz=2&hl=en&start=7&um=1&tbnid=JuS8oXeVh3ZrpM:&tbnh=82&tbnw=55&prev=/images%3Fq%3DBursera%2Bcopallifera%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

satish phadke

Jun 17, 2008, 11:06:35 AM6/17/08
to J.M. Garg, Barry Stock, indiantreepix
Its not Boswellia serrata. I have seen similar ornamental shrubs planted in gardens and as you rightly said it gives lavendar smell/odour when the leaves are rubbed on the palm.
Lovely fresh photographs.
Satish
--
SATISFIED http://satishphadke.blogspot.com/

Barry Stock

Chandramohan Reddy

Jun 17, 2008, 11:46:15 AM6/17/08
to indiantreepix
It is a species of Bursera of Burseraceae. It must be B.delpichiana.
Found on the dry and bouldary tracts of A.P. In Hyderabad you can huge
trees in Indira Park, Mamidipalli areas and also planted in Fragrance
garden at Sanjeevaiah Park.

On Jun 17, 8:38 pm, Barry Stock <barryst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, I believe you're right.
>

> -bs
>
> On Jun 17, 2008, at 10:33 AM, J.M. Garg wrote:
>

> > Hi, Barry ji,
> > Thanks for the feedback.
> > I checked up, it's not definitely a Bosewellia serrata.
> > Based on your clue, I looked for deferent species of Bursera. I
> > find Bursera citronella as per the following link (although I can
> > hardly read the text & I am not sure) matching in its leaves & as I
> > told you its leaves were giving lemonish fragrance: http://
> > images.google.co.in/imgres?imgurl=http://conabioweb.conabio.gob.mx/
> > bancoimagenes/imagenes/thumbs/thumbs21856.jpg&imgrefurl=http://
> > conabioweb.conabio.gob.mx/bancoimagenes/doctos/
> > 001_thumbs56-7.htm&h=100&w=67&sz=2&hl=en&start=7&um=1&tbnid=JuS8oXeVh3
> > ZrpM:&tbnh=82&tbnw=55&prev=/images%3Fq%3DBursera%2Bcopallifera%26um%
> > 3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN
>
> > On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 7:37 PM, Barry Stock <barryst...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > Gorgeous!
>
> > It looks like a member of the Burseraceae (hence "Bursera"). The
> > fruit will split in three and fall leaving the (probably red) seed
> > behind.
>
> > Boswellia serrata?
>
> > -bs
>
> > On Jun 16, 2008, at 11:59 AM, J.M. Garg wrote:
>
> >> One of my friends accompanying me told it to be a Lavender or
> >> Barsera. But I could not get the details in my books or net. It's
> >> leaves have a very sweet lemonish smell & it was a smallish tree
> >> with quite a broad canopy. Group of trunks (as in the picture) at
> >> Vanasthali Deer Park, Hyderabad made a lovely & interesting
> >> formation.
> >> --
> >> With regards,
> >> J.M.Garg
> >> "We often ignore the beauty around us"
> >> For learning about our trees & plants, please visit/ join Google e-
> >> group (Indiantreepix)http://groups.google.co.in/group/
> >> indiantreepix?hl=en
> >> For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Landscape pictures etc., visit
> >>http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg
>
> >> <For Id2 Lavender or Barsera fruits & leaves at Hyderabad, AP I
> >> IMG_7070.jpg><For Id2 Lavender or Barsera trunks at Hyderabad, AP
> >> I IMG_7219.jpg>
>
> > --
> > With regards,
> > J.M.Garg
> > "We often ignore the beauty around us"
> > For learning about our trees & plants, please visit/ join Google e-
> > group (Indiantreepix)http://groups.google.co.in/group/
> > indiantreepix?hl=en
> > For my Birds, Butterflies, Trees, Landscape pictures etc., visit
> >http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/J.M.Garg- Hide quoted text -

J.M. Garg

Jun 17, 2008, 12:22:30 PM6/17/08
to Chandramohan Reddy, indiantreepix
Thanks, Barry ji & Chandramohan ji.

J.M. Garg

Aug 1, 2009, 9:44:11 AM8/1/09
to Chandramohan Reddy, indiantreepix
Hi, everybody,
Here is a reply from Puk <p...@tiborman.net>:
"I saw in Wikipedia your picture of Bursera citronella among trees of Hyderabad. I am inteested in Burseraceae generally and would like to know, where concretelly is the locality. Is it it wildness or park? I was sure, this introduced Bursera grows in India only more to NW, near Bangalore, or Pune. BTW, the last search used DNA sequences shows, that this Bursera grown in India is in reality B.linaloe (previosly B.aloexylon).
Puk"
&
"Dearest, thanks for info about Bursera in Hyderabad and excuse for later reply, I was out of home.The correct name for this tree is BURSERA  LINALOE.
Best wishes
Boris"

2008/6/17 Chandramohan Reddy <nchandram...@gmail.com>

--